Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

VFMP 2017, accepted

IP

GPA: ~85%

MCAT: 28O (haters gon hate)

ECs: above average (long term + diverse entries, research publications, sports, work experience, started several large initiatives that are now going strong, etc. :D

Interview: thought I bombed it... walked out, and cried like a girl :rolleyes:

Accepted IMP!

IP

GPA: 91%

MCAT: 34R

ECs: high level athlete, coached young kids for 5+ years, work with special needs, one pub and a poster presentation and some smaller things along with work experience.

Congrats everyone and it will be great to meet you all in September :)

Just to be complete, I graduated last April (2012) with a BSc (honours) degree.

Here's one for those with "average" stats that there is hope!

Accepted, IP:

85% avg

32Q mcat

extracurrics: a wide variety of volunteering, doing things I love, some research pubs

interview: felt good about it walking out but had major doubts as the days went by. practice with friends but the biggest advice is to be yourself!

IP Second time applying first Interview

SFU Grad 3.66 GPA ~ aGPA of 81-82.5%

MCAT: 34Q

EC: Crisis Centre- 6 years, Burnaby General 1.5 years, Helping Hands BC 6 years, Burnaby youth Custody centre 1.5 years, AFTOW (tutoring organization) 2 years. Bodybuilding 8 years. and many other one I cant name right now.

worked as a Research Assistant and Lab Tech for 2 years, have attended many conferences and presented a poster there.

Accepted!!

IP

BSc, 3rd year applicant

GPA: 89%

MCAT: 32R

EC's: fairly average, but with one pub and strong clinical research experience.

Interview: practiced scenarios quite a bit, felt it went really well!

Super excited to be attending VFMP!

Rejected

I thought I would throw up my numbers as a reference for others seeing as their aren't very many rejected scores posted.

First time applying and interviewing. Seems I went very wrong on the interview part of the whole process and didn't show them what they were looking for despite lots of practice with other people. Tricky thing is not knowing exactly what I did wrong for that part.

Overall Grade Point Average 87.05

Adjusted Grade Point Average 87.7

Pre-Requisite Average 85.8

AQ Score 42.34

NAQ Score 35.61

TFR Score 77.95

Interview Score Below Average

MCAT: 33R

Here's one that may give hope to some who think they have no chance.

Accepted VFMP

aGPA: 82%

MCAT: 29S

NAQ: Last year I received a 42.50/50. Wide variety of activities.

Interview: I felt like it went extremely well. I felt very good after literally every station.

Don't give up!

Accepted off waitlist to VFMP on May 23, 3:07PM (PDT)

OOP, MSc, BSc

Undergrad GPA: ~92%

Undergrad pre-req GPA: ~90% (Does this matter?)

Grad GPA: ~95%

MCAT: 35S

ECs: The usuals. Hospital volunteer (2+ years), Red Cross advocate (2+ years), choir, intramural sports, very research-heavy including international conferences, countless posters and invited talks, journal club, 3 papers accepted for publication in high impact journals (Journal of of Clinical Oncology, Circulation etc)

Interview: Feel like throwing up every time I think of it!

It was the 1st MMI I had in my life, and I was super-nervous! Chances like these don't come easy, especially for us OOPs, so I thought I had ruined a chance of a lifetime to live in one of the best cities in the world. It's always been my dream to live in Vancouver. I will definitely be accepting! Hope to see you all in Aug! :D

Figure I should finally get around to doing this - received email on May 15th at 1:50pm PST.

I'm a BC resident in graduate (MSc) studies. My GPA was (~88.5%) and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: (12)

Verbal: (11)

Biological Sciences: (9)

Written Sample: (Q)

I was accepted by UBC. This is my first time applying to this school (+ it's my first choice).

Accepted off waitlist at May 30th at 1:27PM.

IP, BSc.

2nd time applying, 1st time interviewing.

GPA: ~81%

AGPA: ~84%

Prereq GPA: ~75%

MCAT: 31O

Let it be known that mediocre grades make the cut too. :D (I guess my NAQ was a lot higher than I thought it was, yay.)

Accepted off the Wait list to SMP

I have been applying since 2008, my best advice:

If you want it don't give up! Keep making improvements and do what you love as your EC's. Every year after I was rejected I would print off my application and pretend that I was an evaluator. I would then go through and find out my weaknesses and that became my target.

From last year: Interview and rejection

Ogpa: 81.37

Agpa: 83.04

Pre-reqs: 78.66

EC's: Varsity Athlete, President of my team, volunteering at hospitals, coaching children, lots of different events working with children (tutoring and coaching) and pursuing athletic opportunities (running different races etc). I also helped with some research at a hospital too.

From last year my NAQ was somewhere around 37, but I know it would have gone up as I added more to my EC's.

Accepted off waitlist to VFMP!

OOP

GPA: 90+%

EC's: Very strong, a diverse group of activities that I really enjoyed.

MCAT: PS: 10 BS: 11 VR 7 WS: S :eek:

I wanted to post this, in order to give hope to all those with low MCAT scores, and who are also OOP. I was hesitant when I first applied to UBC, due to my low MCAT, but I applied anyways, and gave my best crack at the application. As long as you have good marks, and a unique profile, it's possible to win the uphill battle! Unfortunately, I will be declining the offer, as I will be attending a school in Ontario. Good luck to all those on the waitlist!

Accepted off waitlist to SMP! (1:27pm yesterday)

IP, BSc. (UBC) and BFA in music composition (SFU, would be entering 3rd year)

3rd time applying, 1st time interviewing

GPA: 82%

AGPA: 83.8%

Prereq GPA: low 70s

MCAT: 32Q (PS 10, VR 11, BS 11)

EC: quite varied. a few long-term commitments (volunteering at long term care facility for quadriplegic residents, piano instructor and executive with music organization, sports involvement, film scoring for a few student films, etc).

This is for all those that have a lower AQ; just keep it up, and as others have said, really do something that you enjoy! There are many paths into medical school. Don't choose the hardest route!

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Accepted off of the wait list to SMP (2nd choice - IP)

MCAT 29Q

OGPA (had to use this since I applied after third year): 82-83%

This would've been ~87% had I needed to apply again since it was my first year that brought me down so the grade trend would've looked good but nonetheless a below average MCAT and GPA

ECs: too many to list. A few long term commitment, founded and lead a few organizations, international benefit work, lead initiatives, fund raisers, etc.

First time applying, accepted to VFMP 2017

IP

overall GPA: 89%

pre-req GPA: 92%

MCAT: 31S

interview: I thought it went exceptionally well - I felt very comfortable and wasn't nervous.

ECs: very long term activities (piano, flute, horseback riding, etc), ~450 hrs volunteering at hospitals and as a literacy tutor, physician shadowing, extensive travel, many jobs since high school, artist, runner, leadership with school club and political campaign, $22,500 in scholarships and a few academic awards, a bit of research but no publications

Advice for pre-meds: Practice for the interview but don't overdo it. Don't try to rehearse any answers or be perfect. The interview is extremely important for UBC but they just want you to be friendly/genuine and act like your normal self. Treat the interviewer like you would a friend and have a conversation with them. Let them ask follow up questions (don't use the entire time answering the posted question). Try to relate your answers to your own life. Also, do activities that you love over the long term and write thoughtful descriptions about their impact on you. I took a few years off from school so you don't have to be a conventional applicant to get accepted. Best of luck!

• 5 weeks later...

Just found this forum today!

Accepted May. 15th.

3rd year OOP

GPA: ~92% AQ=50??

MCAT: 42S (15BS, 13VR, 14PS)

EC's: Many diverse, but nothing medical related. Lots of high level sports (former olympic athlete). ETC.

I loved UBC, but was not ready to leave Edmonton. Just thought I would add my stats to the collection.

• 10 months later...

Regrets, OOP

AQ 31.62

NAQ 32.58

Interview Below Average

MCAT 12BS/10VR/13PS

ECs: Lots of research (since 2nd year, full-time summer, NSERC, research exchange at UBC, 3rd author in intl journal, couple conferences), long term work with a charity group that lead to an exec position/board of directors, mentoring, TAing.

Interview: Felt good, but it was my first one.

Grateful to have been interviewed! Had a great time in Vancouver and hope to possibly return for electives/CaRMS/residency! :)