Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

Interviewed at: Queens, Western, UBC

Waitlisted: Queens, Western

ACCEPTED UBC - VFMP (IP) - Yay!

(4th year applicant) second application, had to withdraw last time (didn't meet requirements)

cGPA: 3.91/4

Last 60: 3.85ish?

MCAT: 36Q 11 V 12 P 13 B

NAQ: average or slightly below (I think). NSERC one summer, medical mission trip another summer, couple of jobs first year summer, Church University Fellowship leader, Intramural basketball captain

Interview: went pretty well for me (compared to my other ones)

Vancouver is home for me, so very excited to be close to family and friends!

This is my first post although I've been lurking this forum for a while now.

I was accepted yesterday my mail!

cGPA 3.88/4.33 (SFU)

last 60 GPA was somewhat higher, maybe 4.1 or so

MCAT PS 13 BS 12 VR 11 WS R

ECs: I feel they were pretty average. 1 year as a big sister, 1 year clerical work at a family practice, 1 year volunteering at a public health clinic for new moms, 1 publication in a not super applicable field (marine biology), co-op term at the BCCDC and some volunteer work abroad.

Interview: I really thought I bombed some of the stations, I barely got there on time and I was really flustered.

Thanks to all the regular posters on the site, it's been really helpful throughout this process. I look forward to meeting some of you in August!

3rd time applying to UBC, 1st interview --> accepted!

Overall: 82.8%

Pre-Req: 76.6%

Last 60: 86.7%

MCAT: 8/11/12/R (this was my 2nd attempt, third was 10/11/10/Q)

ECs: Average, graduated in '09 and had some great life experiences in the mean time

Interview: Felt great about it!

Also accepted to UWO, wait-listed at Dalhousie and Queen's

Time to do some serious thinking!!!

Regrets. I'm numb.

After 4 applications, 3 interviews, a PhD, retaking prereqs and sooooo much time,money and energy from me, my hubby and kids this is the end of the line for me.

Congrats to all who got great news.

btw, the UBC med magazine they mailed me yesterday was a low-blow. Cruel really.

Everyone who was waitlisted, does it say...

""After careful consideration I regret to inform you that we are currently unable to offer you a position in the MD Undergraduate Program at the University of British Columbia. However, I am very pleased to offer you a position on the waitlist of alternative candidates."

Last year they just said "However, we have put your name on the waiting list."

Is there any difference? maybe there is a good/bad waitlist?

Hi, long time lurker here. Just thought I'd pipe in to share my grief, although I was surprised I even made it this far.

1st time application.

Pre-reqs: 87%

Final 60 credits: 85%

Overall avg: 87%

MCAT: PS 9, BS 11, VR 11, Written R

I got an AQ score of 19.4

NAQ score: 15.7

I did NSERC for a summer, worked as TA during university for 2 semesters, in volved in uni clubs to a small extent, had some odd jobs as piano accompanist, tutor, and proofreader. Worked for 2 years after graduation in IT. I also volunteered in the hospital for a year and tutored ESL for about a year.

I think it's the fact that I only did average on the interview that did me in.

Oh well, time for some overseas volunteering to look forward to.

Any thoughts on whether I should do the MCAT over again? Would it be worth it?

I only have a month to study before I travel, so I'm not too confident I can do much better in that time. But then I only did my last MCAT last August, so it'd probably be easier this time around. :confused:

Can't believe I am posting this!!! ACCEPTED at my first choice school, UBC, Island Medical Program.

Completed my BSc in Health Sciences at SFU

Pre-req: 84%

Overall: 87%

Last 60: 89%

MCAT: BS/9 PS/9 VR/10 W/ S (28S) <-- Goes to show MCAT doesnt matter!!

EC's : Lots of peer counselling, tutoring, TA for a couple science classes, Volunteer and work experience as a Camp Counsellor (one for kids with Cancer), Island Sexual Health Doctor's Assistant, Art therapy program for detox patients, Ran couple univresity clubs, Leadership Program, Student Orientation, TONS of art (painting, make own jewlery etc), piano for 8+ years, dance for 10yrs (Irish, jazz, ballet) and some other random things...

Interview: Felt good afterwards, there were one or two stations I felt I could have done better on, but overall good experience!

Congrats to all the others who recieved offers today, I look forward to meeting you!!

For those that did not recieve acceptances, NEVER GIVE UP!! Each and everyone of you has something unique to offer, and perhaps UBC did not see that this year for whatever reason, but that does NOT mean you are not qualified to enter the field of medicine! Just keep perserving, and eventually you'll get to post one of these messages!!

I'm a IP resident just graduated from UBC Microbiology.

Overall: 82%

Last 60s: 87%

Pre-reqs: 76%

I was actually happy to know that the AQ policy for the upcoming cycle will take out my worst year (due to stupid Science One) but I guess I don't need it anymore!

my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: 14

Verbal: 10

Biological Sciences:11

Written Sample: R

I was accepted by UBC and this is my first time applying to this school.

I'm an IP resident who graduated a year ago from McGill in Environmental Science.

Overall: 84%

Last 60s: 83%

Pre-reqs: 86%

MCAT scores:

Physical Sciences: 12

Biological Sciences:13

Written Sample: Q

I was accepted by UBC and this is my second time applying to this school - rejected last time pre-interview. So stoked to meet all those at VFMP!

I'm a 4th year Human Kinetics student at UBC (doing my final course this summer to get my Bachelor of Human Kinetics).

I got accepted to UBC Medicine and it was my first try!

Overall: 84%

Last 60s: 87%

Pre-reqs: 81%

MCAT scores:

Physical Sciences: 10

Biological Sciences:10

Written Sample: Q