Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

On behalf of my husband a UVic Grad...

ACCEPTED ISLAND MEDICAL PROGRAM!!!!

Bio 13, Ph 14, VR 13, WS S

GPA: 3.93

Applied all over. Interviewed: McGill, Ottawa, Queens, Alberta, Calgary, UBC

Accepted: Calgary, UBC

Waitlisted: Queens, Ottawa

Rejected: McGill, Alberta

We're most likely staying in our home town of Victoria!!!!!!!!!!!

I only applied to UBC this year. IP, Accepted to the Vancouver Fraswer program.

I told myself if I don't get in this year, I gonna buy a house and give up my dream of becoming a doctor.

here is my stats:

BSc Biochem honours, BEd, Diploma in Counselling (I'll quit applying for my master program in counselling; I didn't tell Admission committee about my plan of enrollment in the master program; I guess I don't have to n'wyas)

Last 60: 87% (after finished courses up to this may)

OGPA: 84%

MCAT: 14,10,14

Non Acedemic & Employment:

Teaching, Coaching, Snowboarding, Scuba Diving, Life Guarding, Sailing, Wind Surfing, Hiking;

Sports: basketball and baseball

club exec for sports, referee for basketball games, ABA Therapists for autistic children, snowboard instructor, lab technician, sales/a manager for a granite company, Undergrad TA at UBC in computer science and math

Undergrad scholarships, three related publications, Service Awards from UBC hospital

travel exp- close to none- only being to the states and Taiwan

Things I have added in this cycle:

Volunteer in the Crisis Line.

I was informed by the commitee two years ago about my lack of volunteer exp in my application. I didn't start doing volunteer until last round of waitlisting, but i guess my volunteer work made a difference this time.

Although I hate doing things without any financial reward, I have to say that my experience at Crisis Line is fantastic and I plan on doing it after I'm studying in med. All years of waiting changed my attitude about volunteering. This process forced me to start volunteering; I have actually enjoyed doing it.

________

Headshop

Applied to UBC, U of T, McMaster, U of Ottawa

First time applicant to all

IP just finished undergraduate pharmacy degree @ UBC last month

Rejected pre-interview for all Ontario schools

Accepted into VFMP

GPA <.< 82.7% overall, last 60 84.3%

MCAT VR 9 PS 8 BS 9 WS S total 26S <-- horrid...so I guess it's true that UBC doesn't care much about MCAT

Accepted to Vancouver!

Stats

-Honors Bsc, chem minor, thesis research

-GPA 3.9

-MCAT V9 B11 P11

EC

-Medical trip to 3rd world

-Taught freshman chemistry labs

-Summer research

-Not too much volunteer overall

My first time applying, just graduated this past month. I also applied to Ontario (all schools), Alberta, Dal, Sask and didn't interview at any

I am a 3rd year IP applicant.

Grades:

pre-req: ~86% overall: ~84% last 60 same as overall

MCAT:

verbal: 9

bio: 12

phys: 13

S

Extracurriculars:

Hospital volunteering/working, lots of sports, leadership positions at school, and tons of "unique" life experiences.

Interview:

I thought it went horribly!

Seriously, I thought third year applicants had to have amazing stats to be accepted. Anyways, it shows you that anything is possible and it's definitely worth it to apply even if you don't think you have a chance!

EDIT: if anyone wants help on their application I would be happy to help!

In province:

Overall GPA:~86

Last 60: ~84

MCAT: B: 14 P:11 V:11 W: N

Accepted: UBC, Calgary, U of T, Wollongong (don't ask)

Still waiting for U of Manitoba's response.

EC: Extensive community development work (volunteer and work), spent 2 years backpacking everywhere minus Antarctica, musical background, no published research.

Interview: Definitely didn't feel it was anywhere as strong as my other interviews. In fact, it was hands down the worst. At one point when asked about ethics, I said..."ummm 'cause it's bad".

Other thoughts: This is my 3rd time at age 23. I was waitlisted @ UBC the 1st time, rejected outright the 2nd and accepted in all the schools I wanted in Canada this time. Don't rush into getting in seriously. I'm so glad I took the time off to grow up. I'm at a stage where I feel like I won't be trading in my party hay-days for the sake of medicine 'cause those days are (somewhat) behind me finally.

4th year applicant, IP

Honours B.Sc at UofT

Applied: UBC, UofA, UofM, UofT, Mac, UWO

Accepted: UBC

didn't get an interview to anywhere except UBC and got in! I was extremely surprised and was already busy making backup plans!

CPGA: 84.5%

last 60: 84.3%

pre-reqs: 82%

MCAT: VR9, BS14, PS13, WSQ = 36Q

EC: lots of badminton, from high school to Varsity, coached and refereed badminton, managed lines for an international badminton tournament, Vice-president for residence council, 3 yrs of hospital volunteering, 3 years of research with numerous supervisors, 1 publication (after application), 1 year of mock surgical internship abroad, science journalist for JYI, executive member of a leadership/public speaking club, maybe a few more I cannot remember.

Interview: didn't have any other interviews to compare to but I thought I did really well when I came out of the interview, but people told me that would be a bad thing... take that with a grain of salt I guess!

I think the key to success is probably identifying how your extracurricular activities have contributed to improving the characteristics needed to be a doctor and really emphasizing those in your autobiographical sketch. Good luck to everyone still waiting and those applying next year!

Here are my stats in case they can help anyone:

4yr IP applicant, second attempt (last year only applied to UBC)

Graduated from ubc bioc this year

Overall: 91% average

Pre-req: 88%

last 60: 94%

MCAT: 14 BS / 11 VR / 12 PS / S

Applied: UBC, UofT, Queens, Mac, Ottawa, UWO, UofC, UofA

Interviewed: UBC, UofT, Ottawa, Mac, UofC, Queens, UWO

Accepted: UBC, UofT, Ottawa, Queens

I will be attending UBC!

ECs:

Research: 3 summers + part time in 4th year (not directed studies) (1 NSERC, 1 SSRP) – 3 publications: 1 first author, 2 second author

Major leadership role within large non-profit organization x 2years, hospital x 3years, big brothers x 2 years, club exec x 1year, little league baseball coach x 5 years, summer camp leader, and a bunch of other smaller things

Sports: many many intramurals (around 4-5 per year x 3 years), ran in 2-3 running events per year (including Vancouver Marathon in 2008, half-marathon twice before that)

Music: guitar and piano – nothing special, mostly self taught (no certifications)

Work: did a lot of tutoring, but most of my work was in summer under the research category

Hmm not sure if I am forgetting anything for ECs.

Interview: last year it was probably why I didn’t get in (read: did not practice :S) … I still think I am way better at the panel interview than mmi. Anyways, since then I practiced a lot and this year I felt my interviews were waayyyy better, which I feel shows by success I had post interview.

I wish everyone the best of luck!

Accepted!!

IP - BSc honours psyc

Second time applying (waitlisted last year)

GPA 3.92

MCAT 9, 11, 12, O

Accepted - UBC, UofA, UofC, Ottawa, Mac

Wailisted - UofS

Will probably be attending Mac to be with family

I felt like my interview went horribly. So, don't give up if you don't think it is going well...

Accepted!

Second time applying. Rejected pre-interview last year.

Overall - 80 something

Last 60 - Low 90s

Prereq - 78 yikes

MCAT 10P-10V-13B-QW 33Q

EC's - Every job under the sun from baker to construction to MCAT instructor to Vancouver Island Health Authority. Lots of volunteer stuff with my church, and with the QACCH. Some sports and outdoor stuff. Choir leadership. Fatherhood.

MMI - Loved it. Got right into it. A couple of stations I was reaching, but most went very well.

I honestly think my essay got me an interview and my interview got me in. But I guess I will never know.

Note to all. I failed half of orgo. Overall that year I had an F, a C, a C-, a C+ and a B+. After some soul searching I finally devoted myself. Three great years later and I have been accepted. It is truly a dream come true. For those of you staring at your transcript thinking no way, I say it can be done!

I have had so much help along the way and I thank everyone who knows me. You all helped me. I am truly just a product of the amazing opportunities that God and so many other people have given me.

Accepted to the IMP!

Prereq GPA 3.91

Overall 3.88

13 PS 11 VR 11 BS O (me fail english thats unpossible!)

ECs: Nothing super...bunch of university stuff (groups, orientation, dodgeball and dodgeball related activities). Couple of other volunteer stuff on the side. Bunch of research experience ( summer and independent projects - 1 first author paper). Worked in a hospital and community health office for the year after 4th year.

Interview: Thought it went well but you can never really be sure....

Applied UBC, U of A, U of C

Accepted UBC, U of A

Waitlisted U of C

Looking forward to meeting my fellow islanders!

Accepted IP at VFMP.

Applied in Ontario in 2002 without success, completing Graduate Studies (PhD) at UBC in June.

MCAT: 10 PS 10 VR 13 BS Q (33Q, previous scores of 27R and 28Q)

GPA: Undergrad - 3.4, Grad - 3.8

ECs: St John Ambulance, Ski Patrol, Research Student in Coroner's Office, a few TAs, PBL Tutor for UBC MD, various other voluntary gigs.

-No peer reviewed publications at time of application.

No interviews at Dal, Mac, UoT, McGill, UWO, Ottawa, Queens. Had a good interview at UBC.

Keep at it for those who don't get in this year. I was ready to give up on the idea a couple years back, but realized it's my only passion in life. I'm 30yrs old now (married), so don't feel like you're too old to keep at it if you're still in your late 20s or early 30s.

Accepted IP at VFMP.

Applied in Ontario in 2002 without success, completing Graduate Studies (PhD) at UBC in June.

MCAT: 10 PS 10 VR 13 BS Q (33Q, previous scores of 27R and 28Q)

GPA: Undergrad - 3.4, Grad - 3.8

ECs: St John Ambulance, Ski Patrol, Research Student in Coroner's Office, a few TAs, PBL Tutor for UBC MD, various other voluntary gigs.

-No peer reviewed publications at time of application.

No interviews at Dal, Mac, UoT, McGill, UWO, Ottawa, Queens. Had a good interview at UBC.

Keep at it for those who don't get in this year. I was ready to give up on the idea a couple years back, but realized it's my only passion in life. I'm 30yrs old now (married), so don't feel like you're too old to keep at it if you're still in your late 20s or early 30s.

Are those GPA's out of 4.00 or 4.33? and is everyone else using the 4.33 or 4.00 scale

I'm a IP, BSc in Biol. . My GPA was (78.4) and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: (9)

Verbal: (8)

Biological Sciences: (10)

Written Sample: (m)

I am waitlisted by UBC. This is my 4th time applying to this school.

Of all the schools I applied to, I'd like to attend UBC as my first choice.

I am a perfect example of why not to give up. I went back to school at age 35 to get my degree and have been applying since 3rd yr (Now 41 years old- no laughing...at least not harder than I am). I worked F/T shift work as a paramedic at 48 hr/wk while going to school F/T. Hence the lower marks. I may finally realize my dream so don't give up on yours!------

I was accepted too!

I'm IP, first time applying

Applied to UBC & Manitoba (I'm IP for both) and was accepted to both, but I'll be going to UBC because I'm already settled here in Vancouver.

Overall: ~84% average

Pre-req: ~86%

last 60: ~85%

MCAT: 11 BS / 11 VR / 10 PS / N (don't ask)

BA in Psychology

Had just started at the time of application (and have now finished) an M.Ed. in Early Childhood Education

ECs:

- Lots of arts stuff, including 11 years as a professional actor, many years of piano (including playing in a jazz combo), and published poetry

- Long-term volunteering at two different community health centres and as an RA for sexual psychophysiology research

- Volunteer experience with international students, as a leader for university orientations, and helping out with seniors and people with disabilities

- I grew up in a rural town of under 1000 people

Work:

- RA for rural health research

- Part-time nanny

- I actually couldn't include a lot of my work experience on the application because they didn't have verifiers for various reasons

Interview:

I prepared a lot and felt pretty good about my interviews (with the exception of a couple of questions!).

Congrats to those who were accepted, and good luck to those on the waitlist and who will be applying next year!

Accepted to UBC

Stats:

Prereqs: 83

Overall: 84

Last 60: 86

MCAT: 30, (10 across the board): P

I thought I would do something a little different than just post stats for future MDs. My apologies in advance if someone has already done this. The following is a two-stage, basic summary approach to get into UBC med school for those in province (OOPs need to increase the grade threshold to follow this plan):

A. Getting the interview:

1. Make sure that you really want to do this as a career and start on building professional relationships with those you would like to use as referees.

2. Get your grades up above the 80’s in the three categories that Adcom looks at. (N.B. A lower mark category isn’t the end of the world and can be buffered with a healthy NAQ).

3. MCAT – aim for 30 which is the median, (I know there’s been lower but this is the ideal game plan and higher scores are lovely too).

4. Look at the application early if possible, even if not applying this year, to see where you are strong and work on those weak areas. If lacking leadership opportunities, arts, sports get them started on. I emphasize that you have to do what you like to do and hope that you make a difference in people’s lives along the way, (you do not need a medical degree to do this). Aim for diversity in NAQ to show roundness, and maintain some activities to show commitment.

5.Spend time on your application, contact verifiers before submission and submit the application to get your interview.

B. Interview stage:

1. Depending on how you look at this, it is either the easy part or the hardest. You want to get into med school; then nail this part. Simple. There has been speculation in the past that this stage is a crap-shoot as no one really knows how much weight is given to the criterions post interview. I am willing to bet that at UBC the interview makes or breaks your chances and ask whether there has been past rejected applicants with an above average feedback on their interview. I doubt that there exist such applicants, unless the secondary considerations are seriously flawed, such as a low pre-req composite score below 75 or disastrous MCAT score, (if this is the case, concentrate on overcoming these barriers before worrying about the interview).

Congrats to class of 2013 and Good luck for those applying in the following years -ye shall prevail.