Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

Accepted at UBC (only place I applied)

3rd year applicant, IP, first time applying

No degree, declared Math major

Stats (with 61 credits completed at time of application):

Overall: 87.1%

Pre-req: 85.4% (biochem req was in progress at time of application)

Last 60: 87.1%

MCAT: 12 BS / 13 VR / 10 PS / P

EC's:

-2 years hospital volunteering: one-on-one patient visiting, diabetes center (filing)

-leadership role in on-campus organization

-variety of summer camps for the past 3 years: sports camp, arts camp, aboriginal camp

-tutoring

-weight training

-recreational sports

Work: tutoring throughout undergrad, part time marketing and advertising job during first 2 years of undergrad

That's about it. I will be attending UBC. Good luck to everyone!

Accepted to UBC

1st time applicant, IP.

Kinesiology major

Stats:

4.11 cumulative GPA on 4.33 scale (Overall - prerequisite GPA is about the same, as are last 60).

MCAT: 33P

EC's:

-Volunteer: foodbank events, peer health education group (increasing awareness of various health issues on campus), exec of a few clubs, BC Cancer Agency, trip to South America

-Sports: Martial arts (several years of training, a few years of being senior student/assisting instructor), dragon boat racing (amateur level only), individual fitness training

Employment: Lab work (1st), and at sport med clinic (2nd)

See a lot of you in the fall! To everyone else, hang in there!

Hi,

Congrats to all who made in this cycle, and best of luck to those who got rejected or waitlisted. Do NOT give up, if medicine is what you really want to do.

Accepted to VFMP, got in 1st try.

IP

Major: Pharmacy

Pre-req: A+

Last 60: A+

Overall: A+

MCAT: 11BS/6VR/12PS/O <-- didn't study

E/C: Senior home, hospital, red cross, BC cancer agency, Accupuncture clinic, summer camp for disabled kids, foundraisers, club executive, traveling to 30+ countries, musical performance at pro level, stamp collector for 12 years, basketball player, experience in pharmacy, Six different certifications on lab safety, first aid, etc, Competitive computer gamer on starcraft for 6 years, competed and won prizes in tournaments. Raised money for children in Africa on World of Warcraft; Community center volunteering, high school tutor, part time jobs here and there, Summer Cancer research, and many many small things like MUG leader, Shinerama fundraiser, car wash, etc..etc... I'm a gamer, I play too much, dunno how I can survive med school... need to change my habits I guess :(

I always believed that "there is only one chance for grades and an infinite number of chances for ECs". My biggest advice is: Grades are still #1, no matter how great your EC, essay, resume, and interview score is, doing poor at school makes it very hard to compete. However, even with poor grades, a well committed person with the right attitudes will still make a great doctor. Good luck to all, and to all future applicants.

Xaf

Accepted at VFMP as an OOP.

This is my first time applying to all medical schools.

Currently at Carleton University, Neuroscience Honours, graduating this year

OMSAS gpa: 3.96

MCAT: 8 PS, 10 VR, Q WS, 11 BS, total 29Q (re-took for Ontario schools, with 11/10/R/11)

ECs: 7 years at cancer centre, 3 years on first aid team + 2 leadership positions on team, 3 years with therapy dogs program, tutoring, competitive dance, tennis, cultural association leadership position, coordinator of youth festival, summer NSERC, choreography, environmental club leader, etc.

Applied to: U of T, NOSM, U of O, Western, Mac, Queen's, U of A, UBC, U of M, and U of C

Interviewed:U of T, NOSM, U of O, Western, Mac, Queen's, U of A, UBC

Accepted: U of T, NOSM, UBC

Waitlisted: Mac, Western, Queen's, U of O (bad)

Rejected: U of A

I felt that my interview went well, but was kind of worried because my answers tend to be concise and I was left sitting in silence at several stations. So don't worry if you're not a rambler!

Will most likely be attending U of T, although I was very torn between UBC and U of T and it still breaks my heart to turn down UBC!

Good luck to everyone still waiting and congrats to those accepted!!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

'm a BC resident finished BSc Hon BIOC. My GPA was 89% and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: 12

Verbal: 13

Biological Sciences: 14

Written Sample: P

I was rejected by UBC post interview. This is my first time applying to this school. I am guessing it was my "average" interview. My EC's are pretty good. I was bummed, but I am applying again.

• 8 months later...

Am I the first one to seriously be able to post?

ACCEPTED!!!!!! IMP - first choice. I only applied to UBC.

In province, no degree applicant (done fourth year, missing 4 courses for my undergrad) and FIRST time applying

Overall: 83%

Last 60: 83%

Prereq: 84%

MCAT: 12 10 9 T

Prereqs: Nothing special, one long term volunteering project that I've done about half an hour a day since 2005, plus a really random mix of other things... nothing really all that medical.

Best of luck to everyone, and congrats to those who got in!!!

Congrat gnomey! It looks like we'll be in the same class :)

Accepted to my first choice - Northern Medical Program

cGPA - 3.60 (80.5%)

last 60 - 3.81 (83%)

pre-reqs - 3.74 (82%)

MCAT - 15VR, 10PS, 11BS, OWS

NAQ - Editor in chief of my student newspaper for 3 years (approx 2000 hours), volunteered in a recreation program with seniors, volunteered at PGRH and VGH for a total of 3 years between the two of them, UNBC's health and wellness centre, came in second in an international knitting design competition, participated in duathlon and triathlon, have my grade 6 piano, competed in drama at the provincial level, worked as a research associate for 2 years at a small pharmaceutical company, currently working as a residential care worker with women with disabilities, also worked as an environmental technician at a pulp mill, children's library page, contract based accreditation survey data processing, daycare provider/owner, and many other jobs.

I also was a single mother during my undergrad. I had my daughter in grade 12 and she was 8 months old when I started university.

It took four tries and 9 years, but I'm finally going to med school!!!!!

Congrats to all you ladies for your determined efforts, sounds like everything is finally going to pay off. Funny thing for gnomey is that she will join another 42yo NMPer in the 2013 year. Enjoy your summers of excited anticipation, first year flies by, but it's a blast!

I was expecting to see more posts too. Well, here's mine, for what it's worth. Yep, rejected again, 4th try.

Prereq: 85

Overall GPA: 81.9

Final 60: 81.7

MCAT: VR 10 PS 9 Ws Q BS 11 (30Q)

AQ: 21

NAQ: 17.29

Interview: Average

Experience in descending time commitment:

Parent, 80,000 hrs (heck, bringing up 3 boys for 20 years should count for something!)

Crew on tall ship, Canada to Tahiti 1620 hrs

Landlord in my own home (4 rooms to rent), 1536 hrs

Sea Cadets, Petty Officer (also taught classes) 832 hrs

Artist (in spare time--what spare time???) 400 hrs

Cycling 400 hrs

Business owner, canoe rentals, 252 hrs (maybe this should have been under employment)

Canoeing 225 hrs

Dancer, French Gigue 216 hrs

Hospice Volunteer 161 hrs

Choir member 150 hrs

Laboratory volunteer, 144 hrs

Doctor's Assistant 110 hrs

Counselor at Operation Trackshoes for mentally challenged competitors, 96 hrs (3 years in a row)

Toastmasters member & Club Executive, 68 hrs

West Coast Trail 60 hrs

Volunteer Helmsman at Tall Ship Festival 24 hrs

Survival weekend 24 hrs

Birth Control Educator 12 hrs (I'd just started)

Emergency First Aid (2009) 8 hrs

Medic First Aid, Workplace for BC (2006) 8 hrs

Life raft/ship sinking crew, 7 hrs

Non-Violent Crisis Intervention Certificate 6 hrs

Biggest Risk Taker Award at Toastmasters (don't ask, I figured it can't hurt!)

Rookie of the Year Award (ditto)

Golden Gavel Award for public speaking

Work history:

French translator/tester for educational software

Cook in a senior's residence (15 years)

Motel manager

Ship steward

Deckhand

Able Wren (summer reserve training)

OK: is UBC really looking for well-rounded people??? I am beginning to doubt it. And I will be reapplying, I'm a sucker for punishment. Maybe they just went cross-eyed working their way down my list...

Did you get an 'average interview' for all the other rejections? Seems like the common point for everyone that I have seen rejected (myself included). I assume it is nigh impossible to get accepted with an 'average' interview.

IP - Rejected

NAQ - 16.8

AQ - 21

Interview - Average

Did you get an 'average interview' for all the other rejections? Seems like the common point for everyone that I have seen rejected (myself included). I assume it is nigh impossible to get accepted with an 'average' interview.

IP - Rejected

NAQ - 16.8

AQ - 21

Interview - Average

this site wasn't working for me earlier, hence the late post.

IP- Rejected Post interview (2nd time).

NAQ: 24

AQ-19

Interview - Average

Reading the rejected applicants made me wonder if I ever get a chance. People with 19 and even 20 AQ and NAQ got rejected. I got 14.42 on my NAQ which I have no idea how to get even to 16. I did more stuff and got less marks.

They seem to respect people more with earlier achievement stuff that you do way back in universities than things that you do later in life to improve and It seems easier to get in if you know that you want to get into medicine early in life rather than trying to change course.

I don't understand why Andrea did not get in earlier. I mean her MCAT is a killer and she got so many achievements. Gnomey is another inspiring applicant. I felt horrible today but her story makes me feel somewhat better.

Congrats to Andrea and Gnomey!

IP: Applied last year, rejected pre-interview with 20 AQ/11 NAQ

This year, rejected post-interview with 20 AQ/21 NAQ

MCAT: 33P

I had a near doubled NAQ with really the only change to my application for this application was volunteer research work.

Hmmmm.

I was quite stunned to see your list of activities....its really alot, and deserves to have a higher NAQ.

My only slight concern is that it is a bit random. For example, you've been a cook for 15 years (professionally?), been a motel manager, crew on tall ship etc. I know its great that you've tons of exposures...but it would be a good idea to somehow tie it all together to give you passion to apply for medicine.

That's what the personal essay was for; can't believe UBC is doing away with it this year (from what I've heard). And don't forget you're looking at my life in condensed form--there's trying to make a living while raising kids while living at marinas and logging camps etc--doing what it took to put food on the table, and it took a while to get a decent job as a professional cook. And for anyone who thinks cooking is irrelevant to medicine, let me tell you, it sure keeps you on your toes and you have to be efficient, organized and know what you're doing. And the workload was insane. Plus keeping 100 seniors (not to mention the nursing staff!) happy with the meals is not a task for the faint of heart.

Hey guys, I've been waiting to post this since Thursday! Accepted, 1st time applying, to the IMP (1st choice)!! I don't know what all my academic stats are, but I'm 26, married with a 21 month old baby boy, and don't have a degree (just finished 4th year without 3 prereqs for my BioPsych B.Sc, although I do have an honours diploma in Audio Engineering). I got a phone call while out at the park with my son and started jumping up and down, and then he joined in too! 34P on the MCAT and not a ton of extracurriculars, mostly fatherhood, playing guitar for a few years, skateboarding, music production/recording, research apprenticeship with the Centre for Aboriginal Health Research, community internship with Network Environments for Aboriginal Research BC, and intramural ultimate frisbee! So stoked! Can't wait to meet everyone and keep your heads up to all those who weren't successful this time 'round. If medicine is truly your dream it will become a reality if you keep at it.

Accepted!

Applied to UBC, Queen's and Toronto. Rejected at Queen's and Toronto. Accepted to VFMP at UBC (1st choice).

2nd time applying. 1st time rejected pre-interview.

GPA: 3.71 out of 4.33

MCAT: 34Q (10V, 12B, 12P)

Interview: I thought it went well (secretly) but I kept my fingers crossed!

ECs: Lots of involvement in student clubs on campus, many recreational sports, research, hospital TLC volunteer, international volunteering, study abroad, backpacking abroad.

Excited to meet the rest of the class in the Fall!