Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

Hi guys, it's been a while. I just got my acceptance letter in the mail.

I'm a BC and Quebec resident in undergraduate studies. My GPA was 3.90 (OMSAS)/3.94 (AMCAS) and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: 14

Verbal: 8

Biological Sciences: 14

Written Sample: Q

I was accepted by UBC. This is my first time applying to this school.

Of all the schools I applied to, I'd like to attend UBC as my first choice. My FIRST first choice was McGill, but I was rejected by them pre-interview.

I thought the offers don't go out until tomorrow?

yea it's strange how they send out the acceptance letter by mail one day early.

just got my letter in the mail!!! shaky legs =p

I'm a BC resident just graduated from UBC microbiology. My GPA was 83.8%

MCAT

Physical Sciences: 12

Verbal: 12

Biological Sciences: 11

Written Sample: O

I was accepted by UBC. This is my first time applying to this school.

Of all the schools I applied to, I'd like to attend UBC as my first choice.

Hi everyone! I also received my acceptance by mail today.

4th year IP applicant (1st time applying)

overall %= 82.6% prereq=79% last 60 %= somewhere around 83-84%

MCAT 33S PS:10 VR:11 BS: 12 WS: S

Accepted to VFMP.

I had a lot of non-academic activities and I feel it must have been the strength of my application. My academic score wasn't particularly "competitive" (I even had two courses in the low 60s and few in the 70s).

I felt okay for the interviews, practiced a lot and didn't feel too nervous going in. Definitely feel that the interview is the dealbreaker. I'm guessing that I got an above average on the interview because I personally feel that I wouldn't have been accepted otherwise.

So here's to all of you who have GPAs in the lower end of the spectrum... don't give up! As long as you prove yourself on the interview and have decent non-academics, you're set to go.

Oh my goodness, I have been waiting 3 years to post this!!!!

Applied: UBC, UofC, Mac, Manitoba, UofT, Western

Interviewed: Mac & UBC

Accepted: Mac & UBC

GPA: low 80s, mid 80s for last 60.

ECs: I think stronger than Average - Helped start a Non-profit community intervention project in Africa (6 years ago - continues today), board member of national non-profit (2 years), Field Hockey coach for 7 years, Jr. Varsity field hockey 2 years (& player for 15), Research coordinating for 2 years (taking blood & monitoring patient results very closely), leadership stuff at Uni (4 years), created my own course in 4th year. I had over 4000 hours on my application and ran out of characters.

Interview: I felt it didn't go well at all. I wasn't too nervous but just felt like the whole thing went by in a daze. Plus I wrote my essay on the same thing everyone else did!

Still not 100% sure but 95% sure I will be accepting UBC!!!!

Just got accepted via snail mail!!

Applied: basically across US and Canada..

UBC is my first choice, will be accepting!

GPA: 3.9

last 60: 4.0

Pre-req: 82%

I transferred from UBC to US school so my grades are in both percentages and GPA.

ECs: pretty good, club/honor society exec, hospital intern, volunteering, research (no paper) etc.

Interview: I think i did well in most of the stations.. except i think i really screwed up 1.

Can't wait to see everyone in September!!

So happy to post here...

3rd application, 1st interview. Finishing M.Sc. right now, accepted to my first choice (Vancouver).

Overall: 78.6%

Last 60: 83.6%

Prereq: 73.8%

12/10/O/11

The posts on this thread from applicants with lower averages kept me going through this all.

Looking forward to meeting you all this fall!

So happy to post here...

3rd application, 1st interview. Finishing M.Sc. right now, accepted to my first choice (Vancouver).

Overall: 78.1%

Last 60: 83.9%

Prereq: 73.1%

12/10/O/11

The posts on this thread from applicants with lower averages kept me going through this all.

Looking forward to meeting you all this fall!

Exact same marks as you (w/ a MSc), except 90% last 60. I guess you destroyed the interview. Congrats!

Very excited to post this!!

Applied: UBC, UWO, U of T, U of A

Interviewed: UBC

Accepted: UBC

IP, graduated from UBC Microbiology and Immunology last year.

Last 60 credits: 86%

Overall: 85.4%

Pre-reqs: 85.15%

Physical Sciences: 11

Verbal: 8

Biological Sciences: 14

Written Sample: Q

I was accepted by UBC VFMP. This is my 2nd time applying to UBC. I was waitlisted last year and subsequently rejected.

Had all my eggs in one basket and thank God it worked out. Don't be discouraged if you don't get in the first time, keep at it and it'll be that much sweeter when you do get in!!

Accepted!

I can't believe this happened, I am beside myself right now!!

3rd year applicant

Mcat: 36P

PS:12

VR:10

BS:14

WS: P

GPA 4.26/4.30 not sure conversion (alberta 4.0, omsas 3.97)

ECs: guitar, piano, bass, hospital ER, team leader in ER training newbies, hurricane relief in guatemala, delivered wheelchairs/supplies to mexico orphanage, tutoring, hunting, wood working, hand built/carved an electric guitar, running, wakeboarding, snowboarding, played guitar/piano at concerts, weddings, etc., recorded, bunch more stuff.

I am celebrating with my Fiancee right now but just wanted to FINALLY post on here!!

Good luck to everyone tomorrow!!! Can't wait to meet all you guys :)

Applied: McGill, Toronto, UBC

Interviewed: UBC

Accepted: UBC

BS:12

PS:11

VR:8 Yep I actually took my chances with a score like this!

WS: N This one too!

Overall: 85%

Last 60: 87%

Pre-req: 80%

4th time's a charm (interviewed 3x)

Super excited and can't wait to meet all of you!

4th year, IP, first time applying. Only applied to UBC, so super stoked!

My average wasn't super high, 82-83 overall, 81 prereq, last 60 was around 83-84%.

I'd like to think my EC's were above average, and felt pretty good about the interview, so these are probably what got me in!

MCAT was 10/10/11 Q

After a long day at work, appointments and with friends I came home at 1 am to the envelope on my dresser, left there by my family. I cannot begin to express how elated I am to be posting this, I had no expectations this cycle and I am truly so blessed and grateful for this opportunity.

Prereqs: 82%

Last 60%:87%

Overall: 86%

MCAT: 35O (13/10/12)

ECs: held down PT jobs throughout undergrad (mostly retail with semi-management positions, a short lab stint), couple months of volunteer in the ER, babysitting, instrumentalist for church choir (going on 8 years weekly), some travel with family, lived several years in the Middle East, level 7 piano, multiple genres of dance (5 years), competed and won with dance group at international competitions

Interview: felt ok after, didn't feel like I bombed at any station but didn't feel like I was outstanding at any either

Only applied to UBC this year, so will accept the VFMP offer :D

Congratulations to future classmates and I am so excited to meet you all in August :) to those still trying and/or just starting on this journey, always have faith in yourselves and best of luck!

Regrets

IP

AQ 21.14

NAQ 16.78

3.90 OMSAS GPA

31Q

average interview

I'm still happy to attend uOttawa, but I really wanted to stay at home and be near my family and friends. At least this will force me to be more independent and leave my bubble :P

Congratulations everyone. I would've loved to meet some of the people on this forum:)

Regrets

IP

Academic: 13.28

Non-Academic: 21.30

Interview: Average

SFU Applicant

CGPA: 82.25 (3.81/4.33) PreReq: 83.25 Last60: 84.05

MCAT: 10/10/O/12

Not really sure what to work on for next time? Hopefully the change to AQ will help next cycle.

Congrats to all those that got accepted.

Regrets - IP, quite disappointed, 3rd time applying and interviewing

Overall - 82.45% (10 year rule applied though it only added 0.4% to my average)

Last 60- 85.45%

Pre-req - 86.9%

NAQ - 18.04

AQ - 14.42

MCAT - 10/10/12/S

Interview - average - quite disappointed in this as I thought it went quite well.

Non-trad applicant; at 31 years old, I think I will only give this application one more kick at the can and then I am done.

I have a good career as a registered nurse, so I am not too distraught.