Premed 101 Forums

What Proportion Of Applicants To Medical School In Canada Have At Least One Peer-Reviewed Journal Publication? At Least One As First Author?

Tullius

Hello, been lurking for a while and finally made an account.  I have read on this forum that it's relatively uncommon to have a peer-reviewed publication prior to applying for medical school. By this I don't mean a poster, or submission to an "undergraduate research journal" but rather published work in a traditional journal.

Most people I know in person who are applying to medical school have at least one publication meeting this definition. Many have two or three publications like this, and some have at least one first-author publications of this kind.

Is it a representative sample?  Probably not.  But it certainly doesn't seem to be nearly as rare as is described around here. Perhaps it was once rare, but is no longer a differentiator among applicants?

I welcome your thoughts.

Any supporting data is particularly welcome if you know of any. Thanks.

Although I have 1 first author in a "traditional" journal from 3rd year undergrad, I would say most people who get in do not.. there is huge sample bias so it may seem that everyone has at least a publication. I am currently not in med school, but I have 9 other friends who were accepted who do not have any publications like that. So thats 1/10 from just us and it is probably even less frequently than that

I think it depends on the school.

Schools like U of T that place high emphasis on research, and therefore admit a larger number of applicants with graduate degrees are more likely to have students that have published prior to medical school. Other schools with less emphasis on research and more on other things may have less with prior publications. I would be surprised if the number was consistent across schools or if anyone even has an accurate guess of this.

Again, this site is likely equally biased as any other sample you will take. Personally I have a MSc. As a result, I had 3 before I started school (2 first author) with 2 more (2nd author) in progress. I had 0 after my undergrad though.

Take that for what its worth.

I think it depends on the school.

Schools like U of T that place high emphasis on research, and therefore admit a larger number of applicants with graduate degrees are more likely to have students that have published prior to medical school. Other schools with less emphasis on research and more on other things may have less with prior publications. I would be surprised if the number was consistent across schools or if anyone even has an accurate guess of this.

Again, this site is likely equally biased as any other sample you will take. Personally I have a MSc. As a result, I had 3 before I started school (2 first author) with 2 more (2nd author) in progress. I had 0 after my undergrad though.

Take that for what its worth.

Hmm so other than U of T which are the schools the place more emphasis on research, do you think? Seems like all of them claim to value it.

Hmm so other than U of T which are the schools the place more emphasis on research, do you think? Seems like all of them claim to value it.

At other schools research = any other EC. Dedicating a large amount of time to it and being recognized for your skill via pubs etc. is good for you. U of T seems to consider it something overly special though.

I have this theory it's more of a 'correlation' rather then a 'causation' relationship when it comes to research and med school acceptance

Most people applying to med school (not all, please don't attack me) are coming from science undergrad degrees

Thus, most people interested in science, at some point, test out their interest in research. Given that you're spending 4 years studying the stuff, it's only natural to want to see science 'in real life'

Also, there's not a whole lot of summer jobs a BSc student is qualified for, outside of retail/waiting tables, besides research jobs. Hence, research experience, and possibly publications

Further, grad students generally have better ECs long-term, more favorable GPA weighting, and probably more life experience and better interview skills. And yes, more publications from their graduate degree. But the fact they have publications is probably just a consequence of all those other things that made them a stronger applicant

I have this theory it's more of a 'correlation' rather then a 'causation' relationship when it comes to research and med school acceptance

Most people applying to med school (not all, please don't attack me) are coming from science undergrad degrees

Thus, most people interested in science, at some point, test out their interest in research. Given that you're spending 4 years studying the stuff, it's only natural to want to see science 'in real life'

Also, there's not a whole lot of summer jobs a BSc student is qualified for, outside of retail/waiting tables, besides research jobs. Hence, research experience, and possibly publications

Further, grad students generally have better ECs long-term, more favorable GPA weighting, and probably more life experience and better interview skills. And yes, more publications from their graduate degree. But the fact they have publications is probably just a consequence of all those other things that made them a stronger applicant

Well OMSAS has a research section for a reason. It's clear that schools do value research to an extent, in the same way they value awards, volunteering, employment, and extracurriculars.

Most residents might have one publication. It depends on program requirements. For example my program requires that you have at least one paper submitted to a journal and one other research project you "worked" on during residency. You also need to always have one project active. You technically could have zero publications and be fine.

Another program I know only requires only that you have completed one research activity during residency. That's it.

Some people in my program have multiple papers published (with some percentage as first author). Others in my program will only do the minimum (for example me). It depends on your career goals and life/training priorities.

Archived