• Created
  • Last Reply

Invite

Time Stamp: 1:32 PM
IP/OOP: IP
SWOMEN: No
2yrGPA: 3.88
MCAT: 34 (12PS/11VR/11BS)

Was not expecting to have the cutoffs for the old MCAT drop at all but I'm really happy I put in an application anyways! The new MCAT cutoffs are a little nuts, I'm sorry to those who missed it by one or two points.

Looking forward to seeing the campus and the other interviewees!

Invite: Yes
2yGPA: 3.7
MCAT: 13/13/11 (SO glad the bio changed from last year)
ECs: Include research in a haematology department for 2 summers/1 school year, student start-up focused on changing education for university students, volunteering at a hospital 2 summers (child life), running several conferences for 3+ years, varsity ultimate frisbee team 4 years, etc.

Invite: Negative

SWOMEN: Negative

2YRGPA: No idea what years they used due to pass/fail courses

MCAT: 129/127/127/127 

EC'S: See Ottawa post / PM me

My best years were unfortunately during the years I had pass/fail courses.. that + 130 verbal = NOPE.

can people who did this well on their MCAT scores please describe how you did so well, for the rest of us future premeds

I didn't take a course or read the books for concepts I already knew. I jumped straight into passages for gchem and bio, and read the books for physics/ochem. I tackled each subject one at a time until the books were complete, and every day I ensured that I did 10 passages on the topic I was working on. I only read books for the first month of studying and did practice passages/tests for the other 3 months. I swapped resources with a friend once I finished what I had. I ended up completing all of Berkeley, TPR, Kaplan, and AAMC resources over the 4 months.

For verbal I used EK101, TPR, and AAMC. Do some passages once in awhile and try to find a test-taking strategy that works for you. What worked for me was to read the first half of the passage, answer some questions, then finish reading and completing the rest of the questions.

This might sound excessive but I only studied around 3-4 hours a day (I was working full-time).

Declined

Time stamp: Jan 28 - 2:43 PM

2YRGPA: 3.98ish

MCAT: 511 (127/125/129/130)

The fact that my verbal score was below the requirement for Non-SWOMEN was indicated as to why I didn't receive an invite. I didn't expect an invite, but also didn't expect a 130 subscore requirement! JEEZ!

It's a great gpa, but swomen have to meet the same score totals as non-swomen for which your scores are too low.     

Invite: Yes - pretty stoked :)

IP/OOP: IP (non-swomen)

2 yr GPA: 4.0

cGPA: somewhere around 3.7?

MCAT: 11/12/11

My first 2 years of undergrad were pretty brutal GPA-wise.  I upped my game in 3rd/4th, did a MSc, worked for a bit, went back and took some additional undergrad courses to up my GPA again, and here I am.  PM if you're a person trying to battle back from a poor performance early on in your academic career - it can be done!

(sorry for the late post!)

Regrets (time stamp: January 28, 2:48PM)

IP/OOP: OOP

2YRGPA: 3.95 

MCAT: 12/10/11

wasn't too hopeful about this one because I was one point under last years cut offs for both BS and VR - didn't expect the cut offs to drop this year! although I still was below the VR cut off, it goes to show it's never a bad thing to try...you never know what will happen!

good luck everybody who received invites! 

• Leon unpinned this topic

Archived