Premed 101 Forums

If last cycle your MCAT & cGPA/wGPA was similar, you should have been in the running for atleast some interviews.  That suggests your ECs - or the way you wrote them up - may have not helped you.   Review your ECs against the CanMed Foundations and get some help to re-write your statements.

Don't do a Masters unless that is something you want to do.   It really does very little for your Med application.   Your GPA should be sufficient, so I don't think a 5th year would do much to help.

Use the next year to advance your ECs and personal growth.   Focus on 2 (or3) things that you find interesting and spend some quality time on them preferably in a role where you can show some leadership.  

Hi there :) Your mcat (128 will put you in the running for west coast oop/fine for western) and grades are competitive (save potentially ottawa) which makes me think its likely abs/essay/references (omsas is changing reference requirements now). Your sketch sounds alright, could be better but definitely not bad. You could strengthen your EC ex. Add a few charity runs to running, volunteer at a seniors art night/assist community crafts, etc do stuff to deepen the value of your ecs :)

I don't think adcoms would ever look poorly on job experience (communication skills, problem solving, maturity) and echoing the above don't do research if you don't love it. If it's research based you will not be improving your job prospects by much, a course based msc like mba/mph/pa would be better as an alternative and associated ECs would likely be more unique.

I spent last year working two part time retail jobs for the first half of the year and clinical job the second half, took some art classes- it worked out fine. 

I would advise that you sit down and really map out all of your ECs that you will include in your app. These don’t need to be super traditional. For me I included some non traditional things like life experiences, challenges, etc. It’s important that you really spend the time to reflect on your experiences and map out your app. After that you will need to spend some time writing your entries to maximize your chances. I personally think you have a great chance to get some attention from med schools in and out of Ontario.

Yknow, this is a really strong application, but it is missing one important thing, and I am going to be frank: It makes you seem boring as fuck. Like, if i were an ad comm reviewing your application, I don't really see anything in there that makes me inspired, draws my attention, or makes me think "Wow! This person really has something novel or powerful to offer!". Your academic stats are good... but so are everyones. You need to do something more to stand out. And to do that, you have two choices: 1. Better emphasize something unique that you have done. 2. Use your time to actually do something amazing and unique. Personally, if I were in your situation I would go on some sort of badass adventure. Go volunteer with medecins sans frontieres. Go treeplanting, the most brutal job in Canada. Its really the only thing standing in your way. You are in a good position, and you know what to do. 

(Going into first year this fall)

How do you keep track of your volunteering hours? Do you recommend volunteering/strengthening your EC's during the school year or just focusing on your studies? Also, do you have any tips for someone going into first-year when it comes to studying or prioritizing their time?

Thanks