Premed 101 Forums

If we get accepted... what's our next steps?

4 minutes ago, Arztin said:

Yeah this is important guys. One of the last worry-free summers ever.

Enjoy it. Don't think about the material, courses etc... You'll have to think about it often enough  when the school year starts.

I am going to a further here - once you get accepted you are now on the other side of the wall. All those admin people are working hard now to help you etc. You will get instructions, you will follow them, and if you need help with anything they will reach out to you. You should pay attention of course but you will also have people reaching out to you if something goes off the rails.  You have new allies. 

and congrats!

5 hours ago, Arztin said:

Enjoy it. Don't think about the material, courses etc... You'll have to think about it often enough  when the school year starts.

Honestly, it's all b/c of COVID-19. Stuck inside the house - or limited options for outside activities. It's either netflix or doing stuff in "prep" for med. Part of me thinks maybe if I do some stuff now I can take some time off med stuff when travelling resumes. I had so much travel planned for this summer 

5 hours ago, Arztin said:

Honestly, it's all b/c of COVID-19. Stuck inside the house - or limited options for outside activities. It's either netflix or doing stuff in "prep" for med. Part of me thinks maybe if I do some stuff now I can take some time off med stuff when travelling resumes. I had so much travel planned for this summer 

Hey I had a a stupid question but just wanted to confirm lol, 

what should we select for “transcript timing option” in the transcript request form? I just graduated so I assume “After degree conferred (future convocation)?” 

31 minutes ago, ETR_ said:

Hey I had a a stupid question but just wanted to confirm lol, 

what should we select for “transcript timing option” in the transcript request form? I just graduated so I assume “After degree conferred (future convocation)?” 

I believe so :)

Also given the Covid situation, does anyone know how we are supposed to get police record checks for vulnerable sector screening if we can't go in to get fingerprinted? My local police department said they'd be starting back up soon but I know this can take a while and the deadline is June 30th...

2 minutes ago, newmed2.0 said:

Also given the Covid situation, does anyone know how we are supposed to get police record checks for vulnerable sector screening if we can't go in to get fingerprinted? My local police department said they'd be starting back up soon but I know this can take a while and the deadline is June 30th...

I don't know what they are doing there - but I do know the people and they will figure something out. Everyone is adapting to this.  

55 minutes ago, newmed2.0 said:

You shouldn't have to go in to get fingerprinted for the record check, I've gotten multiple record checks with vulnerable sector screening in the past 5 years for jobs and volunteering and I've never had to do fingerprinting - it's usually just a form with all your info! In some municipalities you can even request it online! It can take a bit to process though. If you know that your record is going to come back with nothing on it you can sign a declaration statement saying that and it'll extend the deadline to July 30th for you. If you still can't get it because of COVID related issues admin will definitely work something out with you :) 

38 minutes ago, CHG said:

You shouldn't have to go in to get fingerprinted for the record check, I've gotten multiple record checks with vulnerable sector screening in the past 5 years for jobs and volunteering and I've never had to do fingerprinting - it's usually just a form with all your info! In some municipalities you can even request it online! It can take a bit to process though. If you know that your record is going to come back with nothing on it you can sign a declaration statement saying that and it'll extend the deadline to July 30th for you. If you still can't get it because of COVID related issues admin will definitely work something out with you :) 

Unfortunately I'm currently in British Columbia and to get vulnerable sector screening here it appears that fingerprinting is required :( Thank you for the info though! May just sign the declaration and hope for the best.

8 minutes ago, newmed2.0 said:

Unfortunately I'm currently in British Columbia and to get vulnerable sector screening here it appears that fingerprinting is required :( Thank you for the info though! May just sign the declaration and hope for the best.

Oops my bad! I didn't even think of that. Definitely do the declaration and I'm going to search for some answers from admin about what the plan is. I'll send ya a DM when I have info :)

For anybody else that may have been following this thread with similar questions about police checks - admin is now aware of the difficulties that OOP students may have in obtaining their documents and getting them mailed to Western by the deadline. They told me they have an 'alternative option in development which will be communicated to students shortly' but that's all they would say so keep an eye on your email!

In the meantime they suggested that if you are at all concerned about meeting the deadline you should fill out a declaration form and send it over for the extension until you know exactly what you should be doing! 

Please just DM me if you have any questions :)