Premed 101 Forums

How big a role does the number of times you applied play in the decision process?

5th time applicant here waiting anxiously for results!

just curious if there was any insight as to if the number of previous applications has affect on the decision process? The online application system does ask about this information when making an application. 

The optimist in me really hopes it plays a role but given that I was rejected post interview last year on my 4th attempt I doubt it

Cheers! 

7 minutes ago, Coldery said:

In theory, none.

I think they're likely asking people for purely data collection purposes.

I figured this is what it is, I always found it interesting that this part of the application occurred before the part where they put in a disclaimer indicating the following sections would be for data collection only 

4th time applicant here and looking at the fact that so many people have gotten in after 4-5 tries, I am going to say they probably do consider it when doing the holistic review. When you apply so many times and continue to improve your application, interview etc it shows you are dedicated to the career which I think definitely helps. I have heard many candidates say it's not a matter of "if", it's a matter of when and honestly this keeps me going so I am sticking with the belief that re-applicants are seen positively during the holistic review process. 

51 minutes ago, mcatstruggles said:

4th time applicant here and looking at the fact that so many people have gotten in after 4-5 tries, I am going to say they probably do consider it when doing the holistic review. When you apply so many times and continue to improve your application, interview etc it shows you are dedicated to the career which I think definitely helps. I have heard many candidates say it's not a matter of "if", it's a matter of when and honestly this keeps me going so I am sticking with the belief that re-applicants are seen positively during the holistic review process. 

Here’s to hoping it’s true! Hard to be optimistic but ill do my best

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2021 at 12:13 PM, mcatstruggles said:

bruh, get out of here. dont be saying that shit when u dont know. it literally says when you tick the box on the application that it doesn't mean shit. whether you believe them or not is up to you. also pretty sure you'd get better naturally over 4-5 years due to experience so that's a huge confounding variable. i'm going to go with what they say so no, it doesn't matter. 

20 hours ago, bukkakenator said:

bruh, get out of here. dont be saying that shit when u dont know. it literally says when you tick the box on the application that it doesn't mean shit. whether you believe them or not is up to you. also pretty sure you'd get better naturally over 4-5 years due to experience so that's a huge confounding variable. i'm going to go with what they say so no, it doesn't matter. 

Where does it say that that it doesn’t mean anything? Maybe I’m missing something but I looked at the help guide and my application again and I see no note/comment about whether or not the number of applications matters. 

7 hours ago, mcatstruggles said:

Where does it say that that it doesn’t mean anything? Maybe I’m missing something but I looked at the help guide and my application again and I see no note/comment about whether or not the number of applications matters. 

i guess it is all speculations. UBC Adcom probably won't answer the question on here. In theory it shouldn't matter, in reality who knows. 

On 3/9/2021 at 7:11 AM, mcatstruggles said:

You're correct; on OAS, the "please indicate if you have applied before" is actually above the section below on the same page that says "these optional questions don't matter yada yada". Does that mean they do look at it in the holistic review? No one really knows