Premed 101 Forums

How can I improve a Below average interview

It has been a really tough morning, after practising daily for months, I got rejected this morning with a below average interview. Though this was my first interview, I am an older applicant. I tried everything I can. I read a lot to prepare for my interview, in fact many of the topics during my interview were topics that I have prepared for. I feel so lost. Was it the way I talked? Could it be my accent? Maybe i was too nervous? Has anyone gotten in on their second attempt after getting a below average interview?  How I can proceed from here? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

6 minutes ago, Hopefulm said:

It has been a really tough morning, after practising daily for months, I got rejected this morning with a below average interview. Though this was my first interview, I am an older applicant. I tried everything I can. I read a lot to prepare for my interview, in fact many of the topics during my interview were topics that I have prepared for. I feel so lost. Was it the way I talked? Could it be my accent? Maybe i was too nervous? Has anyone gotten in on their second attempt after getting a below average interview?  How I can proceed from here? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Hey - I'm in the same position as you, and it's hard. I've interviewed three times all with below average interviews. Each year and interview I have felt like I improved... I think the people we are competing with are next level and there is certain amount of luck that goes into getting an offer. You (and myself) can definitely improve, but I don't think that it means there is an issue with you, and it sucks that the process makes us feel this way. 

Take a bit, it's okay to feel sad/lost/frustrated... those emotions are important. 

As for actual advice, I am at a loss. I feel like I have prepared the right way and a few friends that I helped prep have gotten in to various programs but it hasn't worked out for me.

Hey there, 

Getting feedback like that can be really tough, especially after you put so much work in. I have a video on interview strategies, dos, and do-nots here: https://www.instagram.com/tv/CJehDrxBrFl/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link . Something I picked up on in your post though is that you mentioned that you prepared for topics. While it can't hurt to do a refresher on certain topical issues, answering med school ethics/policy style interview questions is less about showing your knowledge and more about showing your thinking. If you would like to meet over Zoom sometime and discuss interview strategies, I would totally be down to do that with you. Send me a DM and we can set up a time. 

Same thing happened with me. My application was competitive this year but my interview was below average. I thought I did so well on the interview too. Did the same type of prep that OP did, and have tons of job interview experience that I’ve been very successful with. I have no idea how to improve. This was my first interview as well, but I am also an older applicant and have applied for several years before this one with no interview offer. Feeling a bit lost as to how to improve from here... 

I know how this feels. As someone who started speaking English at age 15, I got rejected twice with below-average interviews despite competitive GPA/MCAT/EC's, before finally admitted to VFMP (my first choice). Don't lose hope. I'm sure you'll get in unless you stop trying.

Please feel free to DM me if you need to chat.

1 hour ago, ladybird said:

Hey there, 

Getting feedback like that can be really tough, especially after you put so much work in. I have a video on interview strategies, dos, and do-nots here: https://www.instagram.com/tv/CJehDrxBrFl/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link . Something I picked up on in your post though is that you mentioned that you prepared for topics. While it can't hurt to do a refresher on certain topical issues, answering med school ethics/policy style interview questions is less about showing your knowledge and more about showing your thinking. If you would like to meet over Zoom sometime and discuss interview strategies, I would totally be down to do that with you. Send me a DM and we can set up a time. 

* Zoom chat is free by the way (for OP or for anyone else who sees this). 

First time applicant here, I got an average interview this year but I have a low A- average. I think my interview wasn’t high enough to offset my abysmal average. If you guys are interested to maybe form a group chat and maybe prep early (not necessarily interviewing), but like discuss about techniques, topics and etc, I would be down. 

42 minutes ago, marsaturn20 said:

First time applicant here, I got an average interview this year but I have a low A- average. I think my interview wasn’t high enough to offset my abysmal average. If you guys are interested to maybe form a group chat and maybe prep early (not necessarily interviewing), but like discuss about techniques, topics and etc, I would be down. 

Might be interested here as well (even though I've never interviewed before).

Confidence is often confused with cockiness on these forums, so I'm being careful in saying this, but: I really feel that I will get in to med for Sept 2022 intake if I nail down how to kill an MMI. I love all the other aspects of my application as presently constructed.

Hence, really want to prep for this MMI

5 minutes ago, Excel-erate Your Breath said:

Might be interested here as well (even though I've never interviewed before).

Confidence is often confused with cockiness on these forums, so I'm being careful in saying this, but: I really feel that I will get in to med for Sept 2022 intake if I nail down how to kill an MMI. I love all the other aspects of my application as presently constructed.

Hence, really want to prep for this MMI

Sure! I will try my best to make a group and will send the link soon. I think I've seen your stats posted on this forum and I do think you have a high chance too :)

Lots of helpful advice here, but I just wanted to say that your accent might not have been a significant contributor to your score, as there are accepted people who have come from other countries before moving to Canada, and also speak English with a non-Canadian accent.

I got 2 below average interview scores the last 2 cycles. This year I am currently waitlisted. I would bet that I moved from below average to average this year (based on being waitlisted). The first 2 years I practiced for weeks leading up to my interview, getting feedback from current students, other professionals, friends, family etc. This year I did not practice once, I just went in and was myself - no rehearsed answers, no plan, no stress. It worked for me, but can’t guarantee it’ll work for you. 

A bit late to the post here, but I thought I'd weigh in.

Last year I was waitlisted and ended up not getting in with an above average interview.

This year I felt like I did at least as good or better than last year, yet it came back as rejected with a below average interview. I was honestly shocked. I don't want to breach the UBC confidentiality, so I won't discuss specifics, but the only thing I can think of that the interviewers might have graded negatively is that on a couple of questions I shared thoughts from my conservative background and community that informed my perspectives. I very much felt like I presented multiple angles of each question/argument and showed I understood the intricacies, but in the end of certain questions I leaned towards "conservative" stances. Nothing extreme at all like anti-vaxxing or conspiracy theories or anything like that, but things that I thought were actually balanced.

At any rate, I thought myself completely reasonable (and empathetic) and was very surprised to get a below average. Of course I could be delusional about my own performance, or it could also be inevitable biases in the volunteer interviewers. I'm wondering if anyone has had any similar thoughts. Feel free to DM me.

Now aside from all that, try your best to be genuine. It is important to be current and know what you think on different topics, and have anecdotes, stories, experiences to share, or share that you know friends or relatives that have certain experiences or thoughts that you have learned from to make it more personal. Don't sound rehearsed or try to memorize responses or anything like that. Just listen to the news, read lots of different material (I love classic literature) talk to friends and form your own ideas and be able to discuss them, while showing empathy for the other side. Never be so certain of your opinions that you are unable to really consider the counterpoints, yet even so, stay true to your convictions given the information that you have - don't flip flop, but be willing to admit when you don't have all of the information, or when you find it difficult to come to a conclusion. Essentially, be honest and gentle with your opinions.

These are my potentially useless thoughts, given that I got a below average this year!