Premed 101 Forums

Western Housing (London campus) and do you need a car?

Hi all,

I was wondering how to go about finding housing for London. Specifically, where could I find a 1 bedroom place in a location that wouldnt necessitate a car, at least in preclerkship years - assuming such a location exists). Any recommendations and advice is much appreciated. Thanks

hey! I'm not London campus but just wanted to let you know that your Orientation Coordinators will be posting a housing guide with walking distances / grocery stores / popular places to live etc soon - that should help you out! :) 

I'm graduating this year, but i know of a few people who did all 4 years without a car. They do recommend you have a car in upper years though for rural rotations. It can be difficult in clerkship if you live near UH and then get placed at Vic, but then have teaching once a week at UH mid-day without a car. But it's doable. As CHG says, the o-co's will come out with a housing guide to help out!

I lived in the downtown area during pre-clerkship without a car, and found the commute to campus to be decent (either by biking along the TVP, or taking bus 6/106/13) . Generally, anywhere along Richmond street would allow you to bus to campus and all three hospitals, assuming you'll get to do observerships soon. Other popular options are the Cherryhill/proudfoot area (bus routes 10/33?), anywhere along Wharncliffe road (routes 2/102), and the Bayfield Hall near campus. As others have said, the housing guide will hopefully give you more information!

Although it's possible to get through all four years without a vehicle, having a car made my life 10 times easier during third and fourth year, both in terms of everyday convenience and rotation scheduling; I felt that those without a car had more limited options when picking rotations. Even during pre-clerkship, many of the Distributed Education opportunities were much more feasible for those with access to a car. 

• 2 weeks later...