Premed 101 Forums

What happens if someone goes into specialty only to realize that they don't like it very much. What options does one have?

3 hours ago, dermplan said:

Right now I am considering few specialties in CaRMS, but I was wondering what if person makes the wrong choice. What options do they have? Do they just quite their medical career? Transfer? Re-do another residency? What options do they have?

Quit, tough it out and find an aspect of their specialty they enjoy and just do that, try to transfer and get lucky, reapply to open 2nd round carms spots, work for a bit then apply for a re-entry program.

from common to uncommon:

1) transfer to another specialty within their school.

2) transfer to another specialty at another school.

3) tough it out, then re-enter training or do another residency

4) quit residency outright/leave clinical medicine.

Of course you could always swallow the bullet the tough it out, then try to adjust your practice to something more bearable.

also depends on why you don't like it, is it because of the work or because of the people? Also if you don't like the work, is it because you're training in an academic center and work is skewed (eg. in the community you might not see the complex cases or have onerous call)

If you don't like the people it might make sense to transfer to another program. Alternatively some people have quit outright. See: Tran v University of Western Ontario, 2016 ONSC 1781 https://www.canlii.org/en/on/onca/doc/2016/2016onca978/2016onca978.html

On 8/6/2021 at 11:30 AM, shikimate said:

If you don't like the people it might make sense to transfer to another program. Alternatively some people have quit outright. See: Tran v University of Western Ontario, 2016 ONSC 1781 https://www.canlii.org/en/on/onca/doc/2016/2016onca978/2016onca978.html

That isn't a very good example of quitting. It sounds like this individual was essentially fired for being unprofessional (presumably struggled and didn't show up to work).

Then because she has a law degree, decided to sue the program (and lost), appealed (and lost), and appealed again based on some technicality... essentially it seems like she's trying to drag it out as long as possible to waste time & money for the other side. Insane.

She's probably the definition of a program's worst nightmare.

42 minutes ago, 116E118 said:

I almost feel like it would've been easier just to find her a transfer or if we still had General Licensure maybe she would've moved on. I don't want to automatically cast judgement on her either as I've also seen how unfair the system & process can be for residents. This is just another unfortunate outcome of the rigid training path we have in Canada.

2 hours ago, 116E118 said:

That isn't a very good example of quitting. It sounds like this individual was essentially fired for being unprofessional (presumably struggled and didn't show up to work).

Then because she has a law degree, decided to sue the program (and lost), appealed (and lost), and appealed again based on some technicality... essentially it seems like she's trying to drag it out as long as possible to waste time & money for the other side. Insane.

I looked up that person on google and it seemed that they had very strong CV - several publications/research. I wonder what happened that led to that. It seems like an unfortunate story.

5 hours ago, 116E118 said:

what residency program was she in?

5 hours ago, dermplan said:

I looked up that person on google and it seemed that they had very strong CV - several publications/research. I wonder what happened that led to that. It seems like an unfortunate story.

The contents of your CV do not correlate with your clinical abilities. In fact, it often seems to be the opposite.

24 minutes ago, Snowmen said:

Book smart =/= street smart.

Knowing everything by heart and doing research on extremely advanced topics is useless if you're completely clueless when the patient is in front of you.

That's very true. Regardless, it seems that this person was dismissed due to unprofessional conduct, which was probably not related to her clinical skills.

3 hours ago, Snowmen said:

Book smart =/= street smart.

Knowing everything by heart and doing research on extremely advanced topics is useless if you're completely clueless when the patient is in front of you.

Street smart =/= Clinically smart

I think the ability to do well in clinical is a mix of book knowledge you studied to build a strong foundation, and experience mixed in with wanting to do better.