Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT Accepted / Waitlisted/ Rejected - 2022 Cycle

On 5/13/2022 at 3:29 PM, kinfused said:

Hi!! Congrats on getting in. I was also in the fence between Mac & U of T and I'm picking U of T. The faculty and staff at both programs are really supportive. U of T's placement options were a better fit for my interests (they have ties to more of the big hospitals and I'm interested in some of the research being done there) and the cachement area is a bit more accessible. Mac also has ties to some really good hospitals and they have problem based learning which is great. 

I just declined my offers to Queens and Western and know a few friends who did as well, so hopefully the list moves up and you get into your top choice!! They're all wonderful programs and I'm sure you'll do great no matter where you go.

Thank you so much for your insight and hope for the waitlist! I like UofT for the potential networking and placements as well, I'm glad other people are in the same boat as me :)

Hey guys, does anyone know how a provisional acceptance works? I got an offer to Queen's, however, I have been waitlisted to all other Ontario schools. Although I am beyond excited to get an offer to Queen's my first try, I reside close to Toronto and getting into UofT would save me a lot of money.

If I provisionally accept, does that just extend the deadline till which I can receive offers from other schools? Not too sure how this works.

44 minutes ago, LETSGOPT2022 said:

Hey guys, does anyone know how a provisional acceptance works? I got an offer to Queen's, however, I have been waitlisted to all other Ontario schools. Although I am beyond excited to get an offer to Queen's my first try, I reside close to Toronto and getting into UofT would save me a lot of money.

If I provisionally accept, does that just extend the deadline till which I can receive offers from other schools? Not too sure how this works.

Hey! I'm pretty sure that provisional acceptance allows you to receive offers from other schools. This lasts until June 7th at which point the provisional acceptance becomes firm and you would be locked into Queens and unable to receive offers from other schools. 

Congrats on your acceptance and I hope that made sense!!

Hi everyone, first I want to say congrats to everyone that got accepted!!! I am looking at requirements for applying for next year's OT cycle and I was just wondering for those who applied to different schools, do we need to have different references? Like if I applied to UofT and Queens which both indicate needs two references, would I need to have four in total or just two? Sorry if this is a silly question, but I honestly can't quite wrap my head around it... Thanks and congrats again!! 

13 minutes ago, birdie said:

Hi everyone, first I want to say congrats to everyone that got accepted!!! I am looking at requirements for applying for next year's OT cycle and I was just wondering for those who applied to different schools, do we need to have different references? Like if I applied to UofT and Queens which both indicate needs two references, would I need to have four in total or just two? Sorry if this is a silly question, but I honestly can't quite wrap my head around it... Thanks and congrats again!! 

Hi, I applied for PT but I'm pretty sure it would be the same for you. You only need 2 references!

Not a silly question at all! I wondered the same thing lol

i guess i could give an update on this. i'm a first time applicant in my fourth year of undergrad 

Applied: (PT) UofT Mcmaster Queens Western

Accepted: </3

Rejected: Queens

Waitlisted: Uoft, Western, McMaster (greater than 100) 

sGPA: 3.89 

Casper: 4th quartile 

had volunteer experience of 400 hours at a physiotherapy clinic, also lots of athletic ECs and university academic committees, orientation etc. felt pretty good about my casper. i thought my kira was okay, but felt worse about the CAP. i personally thought my statements and answers for queens and western were well written. i felt really good about them, but i guess they thought otherwise LOL. 

going really rough right now, wont lie. good luck to everyone and congrats on acceptances!! not really sure about my waitlist chances with uoft and western, but mcmaster is def a long shot. didnt even know that a waitlist with that many people is a thing 

18 minutes ago, ptpt22 said:

i guess i could give an update on this. i'm a first time applicant in my fourth year of undergrad 

Applied: (PT) UofT Mcmaster Queens Western

Accepted: </3

Rejected: Queens

Waitlisted: Uoft, Western, McMaster (greater than 100) 

sGPA: 3.89 

had volunteer experience of 400 hours at a physiotherapy clinic, also lots of athletic ECs and university academic committees, orientation etc. felt pretty good about my casper. i thought my kira was okay, but felt worse about the CAP. i personally thought my statements and answers for queens and western were well written. i felt really good about them, but i guess they thought otherwise LOL. 

going really rough right now, wont lie. good luck to everyone and congrats on acceptances!! not really sure about my waitlist chances with uoft and western, but mcmaster is def a long shot. didnt even know that a waitlist with that many people is a thing 

Hey, we are on the same bout. Your stat and experiences look amazing! I don't know why you have not accepted :( Let's hope that the waitlist moves !!

if you don't mind, I just want to ask if you received an email from UofT to activate JOINid? 

23 minutes ago, pt90 said:

Hey, we are on the same bout. Your stat and experiences look amazing! I don't know why you have not accepted :( Let's hope that the waitlist moves !!

if you don't mind, I just want to ask if you received an email from UofT to activate JOINid? 

thank you so much. it must be crazy competitive this year. good luck to you, i really hope we are able to move off waitlists! 

i received that email about JOINid, but im confused because we don't have uoft student numbers to activate it. have you?

7 minutes ago, PTnever19 said:

Lmao why is McMaster’s PT waitlist greater than 100 people… Can someone confirm that they have info telling them they are lower on the waitlist?

Hey!

My spot is 40

Applied (PT): UBC, Dalhousie, UofT, McMaster, Queens, Western

Accepted: UBC

Rejected: Western, Queens

Waitlisted: Dalhousie, McMaster (40)

sGPA: 3.78 (according to Ontario) 

first time applying, just finished my fourth year of my BSc-biology undergrad

- BC resident, over 600 hours of experience working with children with diverse abilities, 40+ hours physio clinic experience (laser tech), worked & volunteered @ local hospital for ~9 years, student rep for Science faculty @ university 

26 minutes ago, ptpt22 said:

thank you so much. it must be crazy competitive this year. good luck to you, i really hope we are able to move off waitlists! 

i received that email about JOINid, but im confused because we don't have uoft student numbers to activate it. have you?

Thank you for responding. no I don't have the id :( hope this is a good sign that we could be on very early waitlist!!

On 10/15/2021 at 12:54 PM, PTPTPT said:

Accepted: uOttawa
Waitlisted: McGill, Queen's, McMaster (>100)
Rejected: Western, UofT (after CAP)
GPA: c-gpa 7.96/10 (not going to bother converting lol) and s-gpa 3.84/4
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: By the time applications are due, I'll have worked ~2500 hrs in a very multidisciplinary clinic as as a PTA and then R.Kin, alongside mainly PTs and OTs. Also have ~500 hrs between cardiac, stroke, and sport settings. I'm quite confident in my personal submissions, CASPer/Kira, and references due to my experience and the connections I've made through them. 

CASPer quartile: 4th/top quartile

I unsuccessfully applied in 2020 so it helps already being familiar with the various applications components - at that time my sGPA was a huge weakness and I've since improved it! For anyone feeling worried/down about not getting in right away, it's SO normal and SO okay. I finished undergrad a few years ago and the practical experience and break from school has been SO worth it. I feel much more prepared, mature, and confident now to go through PT school :) Feel free to ask me about it!

Updated - honestly pretty bummed to not have been accepted aside from uOttawa with the amount of experience I have and work I did on my GPA - although I realize it’s at the lower end of competitive and know where I could’ve done better on Kira etc.

I’d really rather not do PT school in French, so if I find out I’m not high on the McGill or Queen’s waitlist, I’m really debating taking another year to improve my app (and do stuff I couldn’t do during the pandemic), but I know that’s extremely risky.

2 hours ago, DfuturePT said:

Hey! I'm pretty sure that provisional acceptance allows you to receive offers from other schools. This lasts until June 7th at which point the provisional acceptance becomes firm and you would be locked into Queens and unable to receive offers from other schools. 

Congrats on your acceptance and I hope that made sense!!

I was also wondering this. So if we accept one school we are not able to remain on the waitlist of other schools? I thought we were able to firmly accept one school and still be offered admission off of another school's waiting list, but we had to cancel our firm acceptance before accepting a new offer? Any information or resources would be greatly appreciated! :)

2 minutes ago, Hopeful2022 said:

I was also wondering this. So if we accept one school we are not able to remain on the waitlist of other schools? I thought we were able to firmly accept one school and still be offered admission off of another school's waiting list, but we had to cancel our firm acceptance before accepting a new offer? Any information or resources would be greatly appreciated! :)

image.png.a4d7146d916f41e848d39df2a338605f.png

Hi! This is a picture of what my ORPAS looks like after provisionally accepting for McMaster. When I clicked provisional accept it had options fo the schools I still wanted to be considered for. It also said in the email for the waitlist for UofT that if I firmly accept to a different school they can no longer let me in off the waitlist.

This is what the email said:

" We are not allowed to contact any waitlisted candidates who have firmly accepted an offer to another physical therapy program in Ontario. If ORPAS confirms that you have firmly accepted another ORPAS Physical Therapy offer, you will be removed from our waitlist and no further correspondence will transpire."

So if you wish to be let in off a waitlist I think you should change the firm acceptance to provisional accept which will become firm on June 7th unless you accept somewhere else :)

DM me if you have further questions I'm happy to help in anyway I can!

4 minutes ago, zerochance said:

What happens if I provisionally accept an OT offer, but after June 7 (which is when provisional acceptances automatically become firm) I still wish to be considered for the PT waitlist.  

I contacted western pt about this already but wondering if anyone knows. 

Oof not too sure about this one. But according to that uoft email talking about the waitlist that said, "We are not allowed to contact any waitlisted candidates who have firmly accepted an offer to another physical therapy program in Ontario. If ORPAS confirms that you have firmly accepted another ORPAS Physical Therapy offer, you will be removed from our waitlist and no further correspondence will transpire" I would assume that you are still considered for the PT waitlist if you firmly accept an OT offer. 

1 hour ago, zerochance said:

What happens if I provisionally accept an OT offer, but after June 7 (which is when provisional acceptances automatically become firm) I still wish to be considered for the PT waitlist.  

I contacted western pt about this already but wondering if anyone knows. 

On a similar note I was wondering if waitlist offers expire and if provisional acceptances become firm at a certain point after June 7? i.e. When do people have to fully decide by to keep the waitlist moving? (Maybe this is in the waitlist email?