Premed 101 Forums

Canadian MDs working in EU?

I have always heard the notion that Canadian/American MDs are seen as an international gold standard of medical training and can “work anywhere”.

I am an EU/CAN dual citizen and MS1 and have recently thought of working in the EU after residency, either temporarily or permanently. Does anyone have any anecdotes on dealing with Canadian credentials being recognized in EU? (I am likely going into family medicine)

5 hours ago, BCelectrophile said:

I have always heard the notion that Canadian/American MDs are seen as an international gold standard of medical training and can “work anywhere”.

I am an EU/CAN dual citizen and MS1 and have recently thought of working in the EU after residency, either temporarily or permanently. Does anyone have any anecdotes on dealing with Canadian credentials being recognized in EU? (I am likely going into family medicine)

In the minimal amount i've looked into it (family in the EU), it will be country specific. And language requirements often as well for licensure. Similar gatekeeping like we have here, but maybe less-so depending on where you are looking.

Is our training that portable? Outside of the US, I've only ever heard of people trying to go to the UK, Australia, and New Zealand. A common theme was how awful the paperwork was and the hoops they had to jump through. If that's the case for commonwealth countries I can't begin to imagine how much worse it would be for a non-commonwealth destination.

The tl;dr I got from staff when I looked into this was that it makes more sense just to drop to part-time in Canada and travel to wherever you want to live instead of trying to work there. Getting a non-EU degree + training recognized in an EU country is a huge hassle, although it's certainly possible depending on the country. The UK only accepts family medicine, psych and radiology training as equivalent. Ireland doesn't have any overarching rules about what Canadian training they consider to be equivalent to Irish training.

Beyond that, some countries (e.g. Germany, depending on specialty + length of time spent in residency and practice) will accept your training if you can prove linguistic fluency. Other countries (e.g. Nordics) will require you to do some retraining and/or ROS. Other countries, OTOH, bar non-EU grads entirely, like Switzerland (which only recognizes your training if you've worked in an EU country for 3+ years and are a citizen of an EU country).

22 hours ago, insomnias said:

The tl;dr I got from staff when I looked into this was that it makes more sense just to drop to part-time in Canada and travel to wherever you want to live instead of trying to work there. Getting a non-EU degree + training recognized in an EU country is a huge hassle, although it's certainly possible depending on the country. The UK only accepts family medicine, psych and radiology training as equivalent. Ireland doesn't have any overarching rules about what Canadian training they consider to be equivalent to Irish training.

Beyond that, some countries (e.g. Germany, depending on specialty + length of time spent in residency and practice) will accept your training if you can prove linguistic fluency. Other countries (e.g. Nordics) will require you to do some retraining and/or ROS. Other countries, OTOH, bar non-EU grads entirely, like Switzerland (which only recognizes your training if you've worked in an EU country for 3+ years and are a citizen of an EU country).

Exactly. You could work about a fourth to a third of the year in Canada and earn the same. I'd rather live in Italy for 39 weeks/year while on vacation than 52 weeks/year while working.

• 2 months later...