Premed 101 Forums

UWO interviews

Guest tamkhan1

Guest bebostyle

no my situation is different...i did 2 years of engineering, left that

and started a new 4 year degree which i am finishing now(im in 4th year science )

so I don't think those rules apply to me

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest predentalguy

thnak uoft 2005... i had no clue that they did that... its pretty crazy.... 1 more week guys.. then we get to find out...

cheers

Guest Gattuso19

Talk to Trish today and this is the scoop that I got:

For interviews:

They are still sticking with the one year about 80% (or 1 'A' year) AND a slightly more competitive DAT. I asked what she meant by more competitive, like mid-90? She replied with well I am not sure but a little bit higher than the 85. She was still being vague but it's probably going to be closer to 90 I think with some emphasis on RC. She said people are definately going to be disappointed this year. So basically the GPA hasn't changed, just the DAT.

Hope that clears things up.

Guest predentalguy

gatsuo... thats crazy news man... i think its nuts... i mean if someone got has a 85 average in all years of university and manages to get an 87 average on the DAT cuz he/she messed up one section... they dont get an interview?...

anyhow...how much u guys think they will push the DAT composite score up to...

Plus ive been hearing diff things... some say that the RC is worth the most... but some say the composite score is worth the most... which one is it?

Guest bebostyle

hey guys, i don't think its unreasonable...i mean if you look at meds with the mcat, if you mess up one sectin by onemark, you get your app thrown out...yes the canadian system is brutal..but cuts have to be made somehow right?

I think BOTH total and RC matter, you dont' want a low RC or a low score really...

Guest Tonick

Now it's down to 1 "A" year??? I thought it was top 2. I highly doubt they only care about 1 year of marks... Does this mean that someone who in 3 years has a 3.7 may be overlooked for someone who has one year at 3.9 and the rest at 3.0?

This is confuuuuuuuusing... I think I'm just gonna chill and wait for an email on March 20th!

Guest predentalguy

tonick...

To qualify for an interview.. all you need is one A level year. ie if someone has an 80 in one year and another person has 3 years of 80.... both will get an interview...

For getting a final acceptance... they look at your top two years... and so the person only with one 80 will have to get another 80 in the year that they are completing so they can be considered competitve for acceptance...

so this is a hypothetical scenario

person A (currently in second year)

80 in first year

Person B (currently in 5th year)

80 1st year

83 2nd year

75 3rd year

70 4th year

In this case both Person A and B will be able to get an interview since they both have an A level year... but if person A doesnt get over 80 in there second year.. they will automatically be rejected in June.

Person B already has two A level years and so he/she will be considered competitive for final acceptance does that make

Ofcourse this is all dependant on the DAT scores which this year will prolly go up to 90 as a cuoff... and how well they do in there interviews...

I think thats how it works... hope that helped...

Cheers

Guest Audio

Ok, so it's not going to be something crazy like a 100 cut off and an 85%. I mean, it's more competitive this year so it makes sense to jump from 85 to 90 DAT and maybe from an 80 to an 82 at most for an interview, if that.

Still, as long as you get an interview, don't worry too much about the DAT. It's only 15% of the process. I'm just going to work hard to get good grades this year and I'll practice for the interview.

Good luck everyone!

Guest predentalguy

np tonick...

bebostyle... ur a joker.. ive realized...

Audio... i think ur right... and just to add my hunch is that the average cutoff wont even be an 82... im thinking still 80...

for the DAT... im not so sure... but 90 still is kinda high.. u have to remember that there are a lot of people who just wrote the DAT as a backup to medicine... and i dont mean any disrespect to those people... but they usually score lower on the DAT's since they have just finished studying for the MCAT's... so they just write the DAT without serious preparation... they usually get lower marks in carving etc...

Guest bebostyle

i am a joker but serious when needed also...i am one of those people that did with the dat+mcat...but i knew the one section that would bend me over was the carving so i did alot of soaps for it...got 20 which ill take anyday!

Guest Aplusdent

Ok...so what if I'm taking 5 years, but my second year I dropped a bunch of classes and was only full time student, then I transferred to another school and got all As (and a couple Bs). So would they count my 3, 4, and 5th year?? AND....how can they calculate your gpa for 5th year and use it to determine if you get an interview if you apply after 4th year?? They will have started evaluating my application before my first semester's marks from 5th year came out.

AND...does my last semester (May 2007) of 5th year count at all???

:o :o :o

Guest uoft2005

I appreciate that info GATTUSO...

So the cut-off is pretty close to what we've been discussing on the thread..

now, 90 DAT score with 19RC and 80% cut-off seems pretty DAMN @#%$ high to me considering that previous years were no where close to this(last year 85, 17RC, 80%).

Fawwking Fawk.. It's a COMPETITIVE year as fully expected.

Guest Audio

Next year will be even worse I think. The Double Cohort bastards will be graduating and application #s will go up for sure. Competition will be crazy. If we don't get in this year, I don't see next year being much better. Good luck everyone.

Guest BeEasyy

Guys,

have u ever noticed on "Admission Statistics - Class of 2009" found on UWO website, in the 6th row where it says "Number of Admitted Applicants with Degrees (4 Yr, 3 Yr = BSc/BA)" the total number is 44 and the class size on the second row is 55?! I wonder if the remaining 11 ppl (who got in) gave the president a b.j. to get in or what?!! 8o

Guest BeEasyy

thnx ut2005 for the clarification, and damn uwo that doesnt even give an interview to an 89.2% average with a masters (all from the damn UT), for the sole stupid RC. I think to these idiots RC is more representative of a student's capabilities than the GPA is.

Archived