UofT Interview Invites/Regrets 2022

I just got mine for the second wave!!! 11:49 EST 

Applicant type: MD

TIME STAMP: 11:49 EST

Interview Date: Feb 27

Result: Invite!

GPA: 3.99 

MCAT: 521

ECs: Honestly just a few long-term advocacy positions, and work with the uni student services 

Essays: the prompts really fit with the advocacy work I did so I felt good about them. But I didn't have anyone edit it or look it over :') 

Year: 3rd year UG

TIME STAMP: 11:46 EST

Result: invite!

GPA: 3.84 (wGPA=3.92)

MCAT: 509

ECs: part-time and full-time jobs in healthcare/research, few publications, long-term volunteering and leadership activities, sports, dance

Essays: felt good about them and had them reviewed by friends in med school

Year: MSc (thesis-based) in progress 

Geography: IP

TIME STAMP: 11:43 EST

Result: invite!

GPA: 3.94 (wGPA=3.99)

MCAT: 511 (128/125/129/129)

ECs: Volunteer in Covid Work, Part-time jobs in healthcare/research, Few publications and been in research for 3 year, long-term volunteering and leadership activities, sports

Essays: felt good about them and had them reviewed by friends in med school

Year: Finished my BSc last year

Geography: IP

Does anyone know the rational for why U of T does their interview invites this way? They are the odd one out in the sense they are the only Ontario school who doesn't just tell everyone at the same time. Prolongs the stress of it all lol. It says online that the order which they are sent out (1st vs 2nd vs 3rd) does not reflect the ranking of applicants. So does this mean, ALL applications have already been reviewed and ranked, or are they still in the process of reviewing applications? 

Cheers,

TIME STAMP: 11:46 EST

Result: Invite

GPA: 3.54 (wGPA= a solid 3.69) 

MCAT: 129/126/130/130

ECs: Varied, some more unique than others, but overall standard. Heavier on research activities. Happy to discuss if interested :)

Essays: Tried to highlight growth, perseverance, determination. Had one friend look them over. 

Year: Finished PhD, working (non post-doc)

I just wanted to end with, I am very grateful for an invite. I was rejected with the these stats last cycle. At the same time, I am cognizant that my stats are definitely an anomaly. Cheers to a chance to do med! I wish you all a successful cycle :) 

Upwards and Forward

2 hours ago, Hanboy123 said:

Do yall think more can come out tommorow?

Probably unlikely they are known to have them come out all at once

4 hours ago, joeblowmed said:

Does anyone know the rational for why U of T does their interview invites this way? They are the odd one out in the sense they are the only Ontario school who doesn't just tell everyone at the same time. Prolongs the stress of it all lol. It says online that the order which they are sent out (1st vs 2nd vs 3rd) does not reflect the ranking of applicants. So does this mean, ALL applications have already been reviewed and ranked, or are they still in the process of reviewing applications? 

Cheers,

Most likely the reason is that they have not completed reading all applications by the time the first invites are released.

52 minutes ago, MStudent said:

Probably unlikely they are known to have them come out all at once

Most likely the reason is that they have not completed reading all applications by the time the first invites are released.

Oh okay thank you. someone on **DELETED** said that last yr they got an invite on Friday and the rest came out on monday so idek anymore.

59 minutes ago, syzygy said:

Does no news mean 1) your application is weak and they are still deliberating whether to extend an invite OR 2) they haven’t reviewed your file yet?

When can those still waiting expect to receive the last interview invites/refusals?

basically - so it doesn't really mean anything specific at all. 

and they will "get around to things" in their usual someone lengthy process (although to be fair in the end the wait time is always exactly the same as the results all come out on the same day in May I suppose). 

breaking my own rules here ha, I will have to go back and clean out this thread again at some point :) 

On 2/10/2022 at 4:00 PM, BuzzyBee said:

ECs: Varied, some more unique than others, but overall standard. Heavier on research activities. Happy to discuss if interested :)

Essays: Tried to highlight growth, perseverance, determination. Had one friend look them over. 

I just wanted to end with, I am very grateful for an invite. I was rejected with the these stats last cycle. At the same time, I am cognizant that my stats are definitely an anomaly. Cheers to a chance to do med! I wish you all a successful cycle :) 

Upwards and Forward

Hi, Can I contact you. I am also PhD student with lots of papers and publications. I need to assess my application before doing MCAT. I really need help. 

On 2/10/2022 at 4:00 PM, BuzzyBee said:

Upwards and Forward

My email is: mkarimi1@yorku.ca, Many thanks 

• 2 weeks later...

TIME STAMP: 11:26 EST

Interview Date: Sunday, March 13

GPA: 3.98 (wGPA)

MCAT: low but met cut-offs

ECs: fairly balanced in all categories, decent amount of research with 3 pubs + 2 submitted at time of application (one of them recently got accepted)  

Essays: didn't spend too much time on them, but felt they were strong, had experience writing in previous cycles

Year: graduating from undergrad

50 minutes ago, premedpremedpremedpremed said:

is it safe to say that if we dont have an interview invite yet were getting R, given they usually all come out at same time?

Yes that is most likely the case. The only reason one would conceivably get an interview after the 3rd wave is sent out is because someone declined their interview

TIME STAMP: 11:27 EST

Interview Date: Mar 13

GPA: cGPA 3.79, not eligible for wGPA (I honestly still can't believe this is true)

MCAT: 514 (130/128/128/128)

ECs: Some long and short term volunteers, a few research pub from Master's, work experiences

Essays: I'm never confident about my essay-writing but had med students and friends help editing them.

Year: completed MSc, currently working

TIME STAMP: 11:21 EST

Interview Date: March 13

GPA:  3.91 wgpa

MCAT: low but met cut-offs

ECs: Felt like this was my weak point. Mostly research (national scholarship, 1 publication and 1 first author manuscript in revision), typical volunteer things (clinical shadowing, leadership abroad, student clubs, fundraising). Added some hobbies as well.

Essays: Felt they were honest and decently written. Had a friend in med read it over. 

Year: completed MSc, been working for a year

This is my third cycle applying and first interview invite so I could not be more excited!! Honestly shocked, but soooo grateful.