Premed 101 Forums

Post-Interview Feelings 2022

How does everyone feel after the first weekend (without giving away questions or anything)? I wrote down how I feel about each station afterward and it was overall ~average, but I cannot stop second-guessing all my answers. There are so many things I could said / said more eloquently. I know what is done is done, but I cannot help but feel like I screwed up since this was my only interview this cycle. It's difficult to express these feelings to friends / loved ones too because of confidentiality. Hopefully this can be a space for people to share without judgment.

Hey! I echo your thoughts and feelings exactly! overall, like average at best. However, we are always our own worst critics. I also wanted to talk about it with family and friends loool but of course cannot! The interviewers may have loved our answers, so who knows. I actually couldn't sleep all night after thinking about what I said at this station or how I could have added such an important statement that would have made the difference. It's also my only interview this cycle so it all falls on this one...

Right?? Some dark circles under my eyes right now haha. Thought I'd be relieved that it's over, but now I just want to go back and have a do-over. Hurts to think I may never get to interview for this school again (I'm OOP), especially after falling for everything I've learned about UBC the past two months. But I agree that it's hard to judge our own performance. Hope you get some well-deserved rest (or procrastinate for school like I'm doing). It's amazing we've come so far!

My immediate reactions during and after the interview was good and I was feeling happy, but I feel worse and worse every single day after. I can't help myself in any way not thinking about it and what I could have said. I feel very exhausted and done. I waited 6 years to get this opportunity after all the struggles with getting my immigration status, GPA, MCAT (freaking CARS) and now I feel like it flew by so quick and I don't feel very positive. I am afraid that I might not be able to handle rejection after all these years. Sorry for venting but I think this community will understand me the most. 

3 hours ago, FF20 said:

My immediate reactions during and after the interview was good and I was feeling happy, but I feel worse and worse every single day after. I can't help myself in any way not thinking about it and what I could have said. I feel very exhausted and done. I waited 6 years to get this opportunity after all the struggles with getting my immigration status, GPA, MCAT (freaking CARS) and now I feel like it flew by so quick and I don't feel very positive. I am afraid that I might not be able to handle rejection after all these years. Sorry for venting but I think this community will understand me the most. 

I feel you man – came out of that interview feeling alright, but every day goes by and progressively feel worse about how I did or what I said. Kudos to you for being so persistent! If you already spent 6 years to get to this point, might as well tough it out. A matter of when, and not if! Wishing you all the best...

One piece of advice that I got from a person that I worked with is that medicine is a marathon, all the way from applying, going through medical school to residency and independent practice. The journey is arduous, and you gotta be ready for any setbacks (i.e., rejection). Really helped  calm my nerves about the whole process.

Hang in there!

5 hours ago, FF20 said:

Dude, totally okay that you feel this way. This community definitely understands. But honestly, wow. 6 years! That goes to show how persistent and brave you are. These are qualities that will take you far in life, inside and outside of medicine. I am also feeling the exact same as everyone on this thread now lol. Came out, felt like I killed it and felt great for the rest of the day. But now, every time I think of one of my answers, I think of what I may have said that was a red flag LOL and I think that is natural tbh. We want to be perfect but at the same time, nobody expects us to be perfect, even the interviewers. And odds are, if you found some station challenging or off, most likely everyone also did. We're all in this together and lets keep supporting each other for the next 3 months until D-DAY!!

8 hours ago, FF20 said:

In the same boat as you - 4 years of waiting for me. Although I’m no longer feeling very confident in my answers, I had fun with the stations overall. I felt there was a good diversity of topics so you could explore a lot of different ideas.

Hang in there! We’re all nervously waiting for the next 3 months.

I don't know who needs to hear this but it's not the goal of the interviewers to red flag you based on what you said. They are there to assess your abilities to apply your knowledge to current issues, as well as your ability to communicate and defend your position. As such, your evaluators are likely on your side and will assign you a fair and honest score based on the interview overall. I'm sure there are some things that raise cause for concern (discrimination), but overall I doubt they're out to get anyone based on specific evidence or arguments provided.

Reading all your messages reminded me of the exact feelings I had after my own med school interviews 4 years ago.

I, too, ruminated and doubted myself from the moment I finished the interviews to the day of my results.

Waiting was truly the worse part of the whole process.

I want to let you all know

that you’re not alone in feeling this way;

that this time period is temporary;

that you did your best;

and that no matter the outcome,

you are all amazing, strong, intelligent, and deserving candidates.

During my year, I had my share of heart-wrenching rejections. This is certainly a tough, tough process. 

You have all already beat countless competition to make it to this stage. 
Even though I don’t any of you personally, I feel so proud of you guys.

In fact, I’ll make a confession. When days in residency get really hard, like today, and I lose my way. I come back this forum to read posts for motivation.

Reading about your resilience reminds me of why I wanted to do medicine in the first place. Thanks to you all, I get my shit together and head to my shift inspired and motivated.

So I truly thank you all for sharing your vulnerabilities and stories. 

I sincerely wish you all the best on this journey.

From the bottom of my heart, I hope you all receive good news and that we can be colleagues one day.

On 2/11/2022 at 6:42 PM, Butterfly_ said:

Reading all your messages reminded me of the exact feelings I had after my own med school interviews 4 years ago.

I, too, ruminated and doubted myself from the moment I finished the interviews to the day of my results.

Waiting was truly the worse part of the whole process.

I want to let you all know

that you’re not alone in feeling this way;

that this time period is temporary;

that you did your best;

and that no matter the outcome,

you are all amazing, strong, intelligent, and deserving candidates.

During my year, I had my share of heart-wrenching rejections. This is certainly a tough, tough process. 

You have all already beat countless competition to make it to this stage. 
Even though I don’t any of you personally, I feel so proud of you guys.

In fact, I’ll make a confession. When days in residency get really hard, like today, and I lose my way. I come back this forum to read posts for motivation.

Reading about your resilience reminds me of why I wanted to do medicine in the first place. Thanks to you all, I get my shit together and head to my shift inspired and motivated.

So I truly thank you all for sharing your vulnerabilities and stories. 

I sincerely wish you all the best on this journey.

From the bottom of my heart, I hope you all receive good news and that we can be colleagues one day.

You're the best <3

17 minutes ago, MadSchool said:

Most of my interviewers were dead serious... They didn't even nod, just listen and ask follow up questions. Felt cold and mechanic. Hopefully they understood my answers...

I felt the same way! Really threw me off because some friends in UBC med gave me the impression that interviewers would be friendly or at least attentive. I hope it was all intentional...regardless, congratulations to everyone for finishing your interview! 

41 minutes ago, MadSchool said:

Most of my interviewers were dead serious... They didn't even nod, just listen and ask follow up questions. Felt cold and mechanic. Hopefully they understood my answers...

I feel this so much!! Especially my first and last interviewers. I was glad though that I was able to have a structured response for each station, except for 2 followups. Now is where we wait.... I guess also our feelings are not the same as those of interviewers. Did anyone else have some weird thnig happen to the camera where it would freeze for a few seconds at the beggining?