Premed 101 Forums

CCFP Passing Rate

CFPC has been very hush-hush about CCFP passing rates but you could deduce passing rates based on published data.

A total of 1510 candidates sat for CCFP for the first time in Spring of 2022, of which 94% are residency-eligible (1419) and 6% are practice-eligible (91).

75 candidates had to repeat SAMPs in the fall, of which 77% are residency-eligible (58) and 23% are practice-eligible (17).
This means that 58/1419 of residency-eligible candidates failed SAMPs (failure rate of 4.1%) and 17/91 of practice-eligible candidates failed SAMPs (failure rate of 18.7%).

55 candidates had to repeat SOOs in the fall, of which 80% are residency-eligible (44) and 20% are practice-eligible (11).
This means that 44/1419 of residency-eligible candidates failed SOOs (failure rate of 3.1%) and 11/91 of practice-eligible candidates failed SOOs (failure rate of 12.1%).

Overall, passing rate for residency-eligible candidates is 95.9% (passing rate for SAMPs) x 96.9% (passing rate for SOOs) = 92.92%
Overall, passing rate for practice-eligible candidates is 81.3% (passing rate for SAMPs) x 87.9% (passing rate for SOOs) = 71.46%

Seems like the passing rate for SOOs is higher than that of SAMPs.

P.S. Also seems like I have too much time on my hand.

Sources:
https://www.cfpc.ca/CFPC/media/Resources/Examinations/FM-Exam-Report-Infographic-July-13-2022-EN-final.pdf
https://www.cfpc.ca/CFPC/media/Resources/Examinations/2022-FALL-Cert-Exam-FM-Infographic.pdf

13 hours ago, AnxiousR2 said:

Did anyone else have mixed feelings about the Soos? I wrote this weekend and while 3 stations were straitforward, 2 were not.  I`m worried I am the only one feeling this way.

You're probably fine. Having mixed feelings is par for the course. The test isn't designed to make people feel good. I would even say someone who finds all the stations straightforward has a higher chance of having missed something important.

18 hours ago, Intrepid86 said:

You're probably fine. Having mixed feelings is par for the course. The test isn't designed to make people feel good. I would even say someone who finds all the stations straightforward has a higher chance of having missed something important.

On 4/30/2023 at 4:47 AM, AnxiousR2 said:

Did anyone else have mixed feelings about the Soos? I wrote this weekend and while 3 stations were straitforward, 2 were not.  I`m worried I am the only one feeling this way.

29 minutes ago, AnxiousR2 said:

I was wondering the same about the cases being different each weekend. I really hope that's not the case. It doesn't seem fair to do that but I don't know.

People do talk.  The cases each weekend are apparently different, but are the same within the weekend.  The stats on passing first weekend vs second weekend; first day vs second day etc would be interesting to know - any significant difference to me would suggest a problematic exam. 

1 hour ago, AnxiousR2 said:

Very interesting to know they change the cases...... That doesn't seem right. it would be pretty hard for them to really know which cases would be harder/easier and make it the same for both weekends.  

Exams can be curved to have same pass/failure rate - but it's a little complex.  However, if say Day 1 has 90% pass rate vs  Day 2 has a 99% pass rate there may be other issues.

On 4/22/2023 at 12:37 PM, When the Moon Forgot said:

CFPC has been very hush-hush about CCFP passing rates but you could deduce passing rates based on published data.

A total of 1510 candidates sat for CCFP for the first time in Spring of 2022, of which 94% are residency-eligible (1419) and 6% are practice-eligible (91).

75 candidates had to repeat SAMPs in the fall, of which 77% are residency-eligible (58) and 23% are practice-eligible (17).
This means that 58/1419 of residency-eligible candidates failed SAMPs (failure rate of 4.1%) and 17/91 of practice-eligible candidates failed SAMPs (failure rate of 18.7%).

55 candidates had to repeat SOOs in the fall, of which 80% are residency-eligible (44) and 20% are practice-eligible (11).
This means that 44/1419 of residency-eligible candidates failed SOOs (failure rate of 3.1%) and 11/91 of practice-eligible candidates failed SOOs (failure rate of 12.1%).

Overall, passing rate for residency-eligible candidates is 95.9% (passing rate for SAMPs) x 96.9% (passing rate for SOOs) = 92.92%
Overall, passing rate for practice-eligible candidates is 81.3% (passing rate for SAMPs) x 87.9% (passing rate for SOOs) = 71.46%

Seems like the passing rate for SOOs is higher than that of SAMPs.

P.S. Also seems like I have too much time on my hand.

Sources:
https://www.cfpc.ca/CFPC/media/Resources/Examinations/FM-Exam-Report-Infographic-July-13-2022-EN-final.pdf
https://www.cfpc.ca/CFPC/media/Resources/Examinations/2022-FALL-Cert-Exam-FM-Infographic.pdf

11 minutes ago, physiohp said:

If only 44 people failed the soo

( which u have down a 3 percent failure rate. ) how come in the next line you have it as a 92 percent pass. Va 96.
Am I missing something? 
that would change the percentage to about a 96 percent pass for residency eligible. Would it not? 

That's overall. If you pass both the SOO and SAMPs. the probability of both happening is the multiplication of both pass %. 

3 hours ago, physiohp said:

If only 44 people failed the soo

( which u have down a 3 percent failure rate. ) how come in the next line you have it as a 92 percent pass. Va 96.
Am I missing something? 
that would change the percentage to about a 96 percent pass for residency eligible. Would it not? 

As hero147 explained above, you must pass both SAMPs and SOOs in order to get CCFP licensure.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

anyone have any updates on the release of results

the first 5 years page says the 15th or sooner.

so technically any time this week

that seems to be cutting it close to getting ur cpso license organized etc.

has anyone gone ahead and incorporated if you are becoming incorporated. etc 

because I am sitting here become seriously anxious regarding the results.

i started playing with the portal.

It appears that we can actually hit "apply for the exam" again, where first thing this morning, it said- you have written this exam..

am I freaking myself out- thinking I failed if it is allowing me to do this???