Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: What are my chances?

no prob! I mean a lot of this is playing to your strengths too, you don't necessarily need stellar ECs if you have a great GPA/MCAT, just apply to schools that place higher emphasis on those (and vice versa). 

Are the Ontario schools (Western/Queens/McMaster, I'm assuming) the ones that place a higher emphasis on GPA/MCAT? 

Are the Ontario schools (Western/Queens/McMaster, I'm assuming) the ones that place a higher emphasis on GPA/MCAT? 

Western's MCAT cutoffs are the biggest barrier to most applicants so yes (ECs are also not evaluated). McMaster's pre-interview scoring is cGPA/CARS/CASPer also yes, ECs aren't evaluated at all pre-interview. Queens otoh is definitely considered an EC heavy school due to the fact that GPA and MCAT are cutoffs, at which point ECs are evaluated. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey I am in 3rd year and hoping to apply this summer. I started doing ECs quite late (didn't do much first two years). Would really appreciate any last minute advice!

IP Ontario, non-SWOMEN

cGPA: 3.99 

MCAT: 130/127/130/130 (not rewriting, bye Western) 

Scholarships: entrance, some small faculty ones 

Research:

- volunteered extensively summer 2015

- clinical genetics research award summer 2016

- volunteering in lab during school year right now

- waiting on a CIHR grant for this summer

- will do an honours thesis in coming school year 

- presented at 2 poster conferences, (no awards, not sure if I should mention it?)  

no publications unfortunately 

health care related

- hospital volunteer ~ 100 h 

- language interpreter for hospital patients ~10h of interpreting 

- pharmacy volunteer ~ 50 h

- dentistry volunteer ~ 50 h 

- physiotherapy volunteer ~ 25 h 

- very brief shadowing 

ECs

- pianist and promotions of student run theatre production ~ 100h 

- committee member for fundraising initiative that raised 150k ~ 40 h 

- committee lead for upcoming fundraiser 

- working in several organizations with children involved with health promotions or interest in STEM ~50 h 

- volunteer tutor students getting GED 

- foot patrol for 2 years ~ 150h 

- international student mentor 

- volunteered extensively for local political candidate in high school ~ 300 h 

- Karate in HS (went up to brown belt) 

- pianist for church during high school ~ 500 h 

Jobs

worked various retail jobs such as Wonderland, Floral shop, (briefly worked in a factory)

worked as a private tutor for a bit

I might apply for both MD-PhD and MD, what do you guys think? 

Hey I am in 3rd year and hoping to apply this summer. I started doing ECs quite late (didn't do much first two years). Would really appreciate any last minute advice!

IP Ontario, non-SWOMEN

cGPA: 3.99 

MCAT: 130/127/130/130 (not rewriting, bye Western) 

Scholarships: entrance, some small faculty ones 

Research:

- volunteered extensively summer 2015

- clinical genetics research award summer 2016

- volunteering in lab during school year right now

- waiting on a CIHR grant for this summer

- will do an honours thesis in coming school year 

- presented at 2 poster conferences, (no awards, not sure if I should mention it?)  

no publications unfortunately 

health care related

- hospital volunteer ~ 100 h 

- language interpreter for hospital patients ~10h of interpreting 

- pharmacy volunteer ~ 50 h

- dentistry volunteer ~ 50 h 

- physiotherapy volunteer ~ 25 h 

- very brief shadowing 

ECs

- pianist and promotions of student run theatre production ~ 100h 

- committee member for fundraising initiative that raised 150k ~ 40 h 

- committee lead for upcoming fundraiser 

- working in several organizations with children involved with health promotions or interest in STEM ~50 h 

- volunteer tutor students getting GED 

- foot patrol for 2 years ~ 150h 

- international student mentor 

- volunteered extensively for local political candidate in high school ~ 300 h 

- Karate in HS (went up to brown belt) 

- pianist for church during high school ~ 500 h 

Jobs

worked various retail jobs such as Wonderland, Floral shop, (briefly worked in a factory)

worked as a private tutor for a bit

I might apply for both MD-PhD and MD, what do you guys think? 

In terms of research, what did you do in lab? Did you conduct your own research. work under a grad student, do lab maintenance? An how long have you done it (years/hours). You need to be heavily research oriented for MD/PhD, esp as you are competing with people who already have Master's degrees. Also consider the field you want to conduct research in; not all schools are the same in terms of PhD's that are integrated into the program. 

In terms of your other stats: 

-Your GPA is great

- You overall MCAT is great. Your Cars will give you problems if you want to apply out of province (a lot of schools require a 128 CARS) and will also hurt you for Mac and potentially queens (no one really knows). 127 isn't COMPLETELY out of range of Mac, but you need to kill the CASPer and otherwise have what they look for. 

You have good ECs but it will depend on how you explain them in your application. I THINK you have volunteering with vulnerable populations but I'm not sure based on what you wrote. Likewise, I think you have leadership, but again you need to sell it in your application. 

you also have some interesting things that they can ask you about in the interview that aren't standard pre-med activities (Karate, piano)

Look at CANMED roles and see if you have experiences that speak to them. 

All in all, provided you write a good application, you have a good shot for interviews!

Hello everyone,

I would appreciate some thoughts about schools I could apply to (including out of province schools) and areas of my application which I could improve. 

- Ontario resident

- Graduate BSc and MSc

- Working professional

GPA and Scores 

McMaster cGPA: 3.58 + 1% bonus for masters degree 

U of T wGPA: 3.82 + qualify as graduate applicant

U Ottawa wGPA: 3.80 = too low for out of Ottawa 

Queens wGPA: 3.81 + 3.90

Western 2 years: 3.81 + 3.90 

MCAT: 129 (C/P); 123 (CARS); 130 (Bio); 129 (Psych) - Going to retake it  

I am not familiar with schools outside Ontario, are there any schools I should look at?

Research experience - I have been involved in research since 2009

During undergrad:
- Completed a 4th year thesis research project (undergraduate)
- Completed a research based field course (international experiential learning opportunity)
- 1 online small publication, not peer reviewed (first author from undergraduate)
- 1 oral talk/presentation at a local conference
- 3 years employment experience as a Lab Technician position (total 2000 hours)
- 7 months Research Assistant in Health and Social Science lab (total 200 hours)

During graduate school:
- conducted experiments in the lab (2.5 years, 40-70 hours/week)
- 2 peer reviewed publications - one first author and one third author
- 7 national and international conference posters/abstracts
- 3 local invited talks/presentations

After graduation
- 1.5 years of full time work experience in research (2500 hours)

Employment:
1 year full time job in fast food (40 hours/week)
1 year part time office job (10 hours/week)

Clinical Volunteering:
1.5 years Hospital volunteering (150 hours)
1 year rehab group volunteer (110 hours)

Awards:
Undergraduate and Graduate school entrance scholarships
Dean's Honor Roll for 3 years

Extracurriculars:
1 year member + 1 year executive committee member of graduate student club
6 years Active member of a student club
6 months student events/orientation organizer
1 year peer mentoring
3 years Teaching assistant for science courses/labs (bio, chem, stats)

Potential LOR's (My letters are mostly academic based. EC's were from a few years back so not sure if I can get letters from there. Any feedback on this? )

Undergraduate thesis Supervisor (PI)
Graduate Thesis Supervisor (PI)
Graduate Thesis Advisor/Committee member
Graduate course instructor
2 Undergraduate Course Instructors
Current boss (assistant dean of the faculty, also a science prof but he never taught me for a course, I just work under him)

Thanks

Hello everyone,

I would appreciate some thoughts about schools I could apply to (including out of province schools) and areas of my application which I could improve. 

- Ontario resident

- Graduate BSc and MSc

- Working professional

GPA and Scores 

McMaster cGPA: 3.58 + 1% bonus for masters degree 

U of T wGPA: 3.82 + qualify as graduate applicant

U Ottawa wGPA: 3.80 = too low for out of Ottawa 

Queens wGPA: 3.81 + 3.90

Western 2 years: 3.81 + 3.90 

MCAT: 129 (C/P); 123 (CARS); 130 (Bio); 129 (Psych) - Going to retake it  

I am not familiar with schools outside Ontario, are there any schools I should look at?

Research experience - I have been involved in research since 2009

During undergrad:

- Completed a 4th year thesis research project (undergraduate)

- Completed a research based field course (international experiential learning opportunity)

- 1 online small publication, not peer reviewed (first author from undergraduate)

- 1 oral talk/presentation at a local conference

- 3 years employment experience as a Lab Technician position (total 2000 hours)

- 7 months Research Assistant in Health and Social Science lab (total 200 hours)

During graduate school:

- conducted experiments in the lab (2.5 years, 40-70 hours/week)

- 2 peer reviewed publications - one first author and one third author

- 7 national and international conference posters/abstracts

- 3 local invited talks/presentations

After graduation

- 1.5 years of full time work experience in research (2500 hours)

Employment:

1 year full time job in fast food (40 hours/week)

1 year part time office job (10 hours/week)

Clinical Volunteering:

1.5 years Hospital volunteering (150 hours)

1 year rehab group volunteer (110 hours)

Awards:

Undergraduate and Graduate school entrance scholarships

Dean's Honor Roll for 3 years

Extracurriculars:

1 year member + 1 year executive committee member of graduate student club

6 years Active member of a student club

6 months student events/orientation organizer

1 year peer mentoring

3 years Teaching assistant for science courses/labs (bio, chem, stats)

Potential LOR's (My letters are mostly academic based. EC's were from a few years back so not sure if I can get letters from there. Any feedback on this? )

Undergraduate thesis Supervisor (PI)

Graduate Thesis Supervisor (PI)

Graduate Thesis Advisor/Committee member

Graduate course instructor

2 Undergraduate Course Instructors

Current boss (assistant dean of the faculty, also a science prof but he never taught me for a course, I just work under him)

Thanks

So looking at your application, the thing that would help you most is if you can rewrite the mcat and get minimum 127 on CARS, though 129+ would be ideal. That would give you a chance at Queens, U of T, Mac, and Western (with 129+ CARS). Your ECs are pretty impressive, just make sure to include things like hobbies so that you appear more rounded (i.e. if you ever play sports, do anything related to art or music, etc). How well you describe your ECs will be important. I think being a grad applicant should help you make up for your low-ish gpa at Mac and U of T especially, and doing better on CARS will help a lot as well. Good luck!  

In terms of research, what did you do in lab? Did you conduct your own research. work under a grad student, do lab maintenance? An how long have you done it (years/hours). You need to be heavily research oriented for MD/PhD, esp as you are competing with people who already have Master's degrees. Also consider the field you want to conduct research in; not all schools are the same in terms of PhD's that are integrated into the program.

In terms of your other stats:

-Your GPA is great

- You overall MCAT is great. Your Cars will give you problems if you want to apply out of province (a lot of schools require a 128 CARS) and will also hurt you for Mac and potentially queens (no one really knows). 127 isn't COMPLETELY out of range of Mac, but you need to kill the CASPer and otherwise have what they look for.

You have good ECs but it will depend on how you explain them in your application. I THINK you have volunteering with vulnerable populations but I'm not sure based on what you wrote. Likewise, I think you have leadership, but again you need to sell it in your application.

you also have some interesting things that they can ask you about in the interview that aren't standard pre-med activities (Karate, piano)

Look at CANMED roles and see if you have experiences that speak to them.

All in all, provided you write a good application, you have a good shot for interviews!

Thank you so much for your input!

I volunteered one summer to learn lab skills and did an independent project in the second summer. Currently I'm at another lab and will work with a grad student in the summer.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, 

I'm a quebec resident studying at mcgill and will be completing my bachelor this may (3 years in anat & cell bio). I was rejected at mcgill and ontario schools this application cycle. I wanted to know what my chances would be at lower tier american schools because i noticed their gpa avgs were pretty low vs. mcgill? is it worth applying with that mcat score? thanks in advance!

GPA: 3.91(consistent throughout the 3 years)

MCAT:503 

ECs: pretty normal stuff, hospital work with kids (1.5years), 1 semester of research, part time job as a lab tech (1.5 years), medlife trip abroad, soccer since i was kid, various other sports and some hs award. 

Hey guys, 

I'm a quebec resident studying at mcgill and will be completing my bachelor this may (3 years in anat & cell bio). I was rejected at mcgill and ontario schools this application cycle. I wanted to know what my chances would be at lower tier american schools because i noticed their gpa avgs were pretty low vs. mcgill? is it worth applying with that mcat score? thanks in advance!

GPA: 3.91(consistent throughout the 3 years)

MCAT:503 

ECs: pretty normal stuff, hospital work with kids (1.5years), 1 semester of research, part time job as a lab tech (1.5 years), medlife trip abroad, soccer since i was kid, various other sports and some hs award. 

The best thing for you in my opinion is to rewrite the mcat and continue working on your ECs and then try again across Canada and maybe add in some American schools if you are really determined to get in this upcoming cycle. Getting a 510+ especially with a 128+ in CARS will make you much more competitive across Canada. I personally don't think the US is worth it after only 1 application cycle with the 503, but its up to you. You'll also end up spending a lot more money going to the US. 

I seriously do not know if there's a selection bias on here or what not, but looking at the previous posts, I have never met a people irl that does so many ECs in 3-4 years, it freaks me out a bit. I've always heard that it's the way you weave your ECs into a coherent meaningful life story about yourself that matters, not the # of entries, not sure if this is true though.

Anyways, this is for the 3rd year btw

cGPA: 3.84

Ottawa: 3.87

Last two years: 3.91 (also my best two years)

Haven't calculated UofT but I knew it's in the 3.88-3.89 category

MCAT 514 (126 Verbal, 128 phy/chem, 129 psych, 131 bio)

EC: 

-Volunteered 3 years at community centre in high school (don't know if it counts

-Worked 1.5 summers almost full time at massage centre (going to be extra 0.5 this summer)

-volunteer as info/customer service at a cancer charity for 2 years (70hours~)

-Volunteered briefly at clinical study (25-30h spread over 4 months)

-volunteered at boys and girls club for 2 years (120h+)

-some random scholarships, awards (about 4 entries)

-representative at a student association 1year

Hobbies: Reading, speedcubing for rubik's cube, member of fitness club at university (no exec), travelling in this summer as well

I know the ECs seem lackluster, I'm planning to focus more attention on the 4th year app, but that's about it here.

I'm assuming your from ON?- You've identified your own weaknesses for the most part. You should keep building ECs. Keep in mind anything since age 16 counts, and don't downplay stuff you did in high school. Med schools won't look down on an activity because you did it in high school. In terms of gpa, you are on the slightly lower end for all the ON schools except Mac. I would probably wait a year and apply during/after 4th year so that you can continue to increase your gpa. Also, your overall mcat score is great, but the 126 in CARS is not going to help you. I would consider applying after 4th year and if you get some interviews, great, if not, rewrite the mcat. Its up to you as to whether you want to rewrite the mcat, but bringing up your CARS to 128/129+ will help you a lot across ON. Good luck! 

Hey everybody,

I would like to know what should be my futur steps... I applied to McGill as a ntp for 2017, I didn't get invited. I applied with a GPA of 3.4, right now it is 3.6. I am supposed to finish this year my two year accelerated Nursing program at UdeM. I have to do my science prerequisites, since its been more than 8 years. And I guess I need to do some research, even if I have a lot of volunteering. I am a nurse, worked in obstetrics for a year, and I am single-mom with a little daughter. Can you please give me some advices what should be my next steps and where I can have a better chance? 

P.S.: I am from Quebec (french speaking) 

Thank you,

Manda

Can you apply to McGill in the normal pathway? 3.6 isn't bad. I do not think research is necessary. Is it possible to do your prerequisities at Cegep? From your volunterring and nursing experience, you would have demonstrated CanMEDS competencies. In Quebec, I believe your only chance is at McGill. What about NP or PA?

Thank you for your reply Bambi,

Yes I can do my prerequisites at my CEGEP (7: 2 Bio, 3 them, 2 physics, 2 maths), I just dont think I will be able to finish them with great marks until the 1st of November 2017 (for the 2018 admissions). I am not sure if I should start doing my prerequisites this summer or should I write MCAT in order to try some universities in Canada.(I really don't mind moving around Canada as long as I get into Med school).

For my prerequisites: I can only start in June ( I finish my BAC at the end of May) and can only take 3 classes in summer (because of the CEGEP schedule). NP or PA are my far far far second and third choice, I would really want to try to get into medschool for the next 4 years. I also thought about Ottawa (as a Frenchi).

What do you think?

P.S.: about great marks, I would have to take 7 sciences classes for a 1.5month (according to the provided schedule I can only take 3, and the rest 4 I would still have to do it in autumn). I won't meet the necessary deadline. 

Well, you have a Plan! Start your prerequisites this summer and leave MCAT for now. You won't need MCAT for McGill where you have the best shot. Regarding Ottawa, even French, you might be out of the game due to your GPA but chec with their adcoms directly.If it takes you another year, just remember, this is a marathon, not a sprint. And then perhaps spread those 4 remaining over 2 semesters, especially if you are working and with your little one. BTW, I studied 2 months for MCAT back in the day and did not do well. It didn't matter as I did the MEMFI for all franco med schools and got in. Avoid the MCAT and focus on your prerequisites. Only do it as a last resort down the road, if necessary.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I'd like some feedback for my application to medical school next year at Western, Mac, U of T and Ottawa.

• I'm in IP for Ontario, SWOMEN applicant
  • 3rd year undergrad, studying Biology

GPA : 3.9 according to OMSAS

MCAT: 512 (128/128/128/128)

ECs:

-Member of Pre-Med Society

-Member of Piano Society 

-Performance concerts

-Playing for the elderly (100 hours)

- Frosh Facilitator

- Student mental health counselor (3 years)

- Volunteering at my local church for Children’s Ministries and Youth Ministries (4 years, over 500 hours)

- Camp counselor

- TA for a semester

- Part time job at grocery store (2.5 years, 4-10 hours a week)

-Dean’s List and Honor Roll

- Shadowing (75 hours with a GP, 50 with a ENT)

-High School Awards

-Academic Scholarships (Entrance and Faculty)

If you guys would like to give me any suggestions for what to improve, that would be greatly appreciated.

Hi guys,

I'd like some feedback for my application to medical school next year at Western, Mac, U of T and Ottawa.

ECs:

-Member of Piano Society 

-Performance concerts

- Frosh Facilitator

- Volunteering at my local church for Children’s Ministries and Youth Ministries (4 years, over 500 hours)

- Camp counselor

- TA for a semester

-High School Awards

If you guys would like to give me any suggestions for what to improve, that would be greatly appreciated.

Your MCAT's good for Western, Mac, and UofT. I don't know about Ottawa and their requirements for next cycle though.

I think your GPA's good for Western and Mac. What's your weighted GPA for Ottawa and UofT? The GPAs of their matriculants tend to be on the higher end of a 3.9

I can see your interests from your ECs-I think that's all it matters. Continue doing what you're doing and do activities that you enjoy. Now this is just a suggestion, but perhaps looking to gain some research experience? It's not necessary but it'll help. Though do it only if you are interested in trying out research.

good luck!

Hi guys,

ECs:

-Member of Piano Society 

-Performance concerts

- Frosh Facilitator

- Camp counselor

- TA for a semester

-High School Awards

You seem like the cookie cutter average applicant to Ontario schools. You have decent GPA, the most balanced MCAT possible, the traditional premed ECs (club member, shadowing, hospital volunteering).

Now if i'm being honest, nothing really stands out to me from your application. It's all good, don't get me wrong, but no specific aspect seems great. I think you might look into doing some type of research aspect, not as a "2-month intern", but start your own project with a supervisor and commit to it for a year and try to get some type of meaningful result from there.

I by no means am saying this in a negative way, I'm just trying to give you some honest feedback.

The chart of this post mentions that it's important to be highly distinguished in an activity that you like.. (ex: to not just play often piano but receive awards or be concert pianist)

I don't know how to make me so in visual arts. It's hard to search up online local competitions because most of them exclude my age range .(16) I'm reputed in my HS as a talented artist, but I never had any art classes outside of school range (meaning a high probability of little to no technique) , which also means that even if I were able to join competitions, I don't think it'd be easy for me to win them.

I did make a deviant art account not so long ago, and I have 238 watchers which is a bit decent for someone who posts only once in a while and who doesn't draw fanarts. Is opening up commission good enough ? (work exp: selling art requests or prints?)

tldr; how to turn visual art hobby into cv worthy pls (highly distinguished person in an activity)

should i make a post for this