Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: What are my chances?

I posted before a few months ago (thanks to those who responded) , but I would like to know my chances OOP (from Ontario).

cgpa: 3.87

last two years: 3.95

MCAT- 13/10/13 Q (10 VR) I considered re-writing, but I really don't think I could reliably improve my score. I had a 9VR my first write so I'm concerned about slipping back to that.

Year: I graduated in June and am doing a fifth year this year.

EC's: didn't have time to start anything new this summer. I have a couple of interesting volunteering opportunities lined up for this year, but I guess that won't factor in.

What I currently have is pretty standard. Hospital, community volunteering (2-3 years for 3 positions), lots of employment hours, and I did some environmental research this summer that I will be doing my senior thesis on this year. A lot of different long term athletics, but has been mostly recreational since high school.

What OOP schools would I have a good shot at? I got rejected pre interview from all Ontario schools last year, although I am applying again this year. So far I am planning on applying to Dal, McGill, Manitoba, Sask, U of A, and UBC.

Thanks!

I posted before a few months ago (thanks to those who responded) , but I would like to know my chances OOP (from Ontario).

cgpa: 3.87

last two years: 3.95

MCAT- 13/10/13 Q (10 VR) I considered re-writing, but I really don't think I could reliably improve my score. I had a 9VR my first write so I'm concerned about slipping back to that.

Year: I graduated in June and am doing a fifth year this year.

EC's: didn't have time to start anything new this summer. I have a couple of interesting volunteering opportunities lined up for this year, but I guess that won't factor in.

What I currently have is pretty standard. Hospital, community volunteering (2-3 years for 3 positions), lots of employment hours, and I did some environmental research this summer that I will be doing my senior thesis on this year. A lot of different long term athletics, but has been mostly recreational since high school.

What OOP schools would I have a good shot at? I got rejected pre interview from all Ontario schools last year, although I am applying again this year. So far I am planning on applying to Dal, McGill, Manitoba, Sask, U of A, and UBC.

Thanks!

For your OOP list you could add Memorial. I'm assuming you have English as you have UBC and U of A on your list.

As for your chances at these schools, they are low. Not because your stats are bad (they aren't) but because there are so few seats it is almost a lottery. If you have the money I would apply and not worry about your chances because you will get rejected from some and other you will get interviews. When your list is that big you are bound to have some hits and some misses.

The exception being USask, as I'm pretty sure you surpassed their mcat/gpa cutoff. It was a 35mcat/83% average last year so you should get an interview from them and from then on its a 100% interview score. I wouldn't risk that 36 even though your verbal is a little low.

I was in the exact situation as you a couple weeks ago applying to as many different schools as possible and then I got a wait list offer in August. I was telling myself to think about the cumulative probability and not the individual probabilities as they are so low that it gets intimidating

^ not worth applying to Queen's and OOP?

You have a shot at Queens if your Mcat is good. For OOP its hard to say without your MCAT scores but there aren't any place that spring to mind for your situation. I'm not sure how Western would treat you considering your second degree wasn't FT but you should investigate that because if you make cutoffs you have 2 beautiful full time years in your first undergrad.

Oh and another reason to write is if your verbal is good you have an outside shot at Mac, again depending on your score.

For your OOP list you could add Memorial. I'm assuming you have English as you have UBC and U of A on your list.

As for your chances at these schools, they are low. Not because your stats are bad (they aren't) but because there are so few seats it is almost a lottery. If you have the money I would apply and not worry about your chances because you will get rejected from some and other you will get interviews. When your list is that big you are bound to have some hits and some misses.

The exception being USask, as I'm pretty sure you surpassed their mcat/gpa cutoff. It was a 35mcat/83% average last year so you should get an interview from them and from then on its a 100% interview score. I wouldn't risk that 36 even though your verbal is a little low.

I was in the exact situation as you a couple weeks ago applying to as many different schools as possible and then I got a wait list offer in August. I was telling myself to think about the cumulative probability and not the individual probabilities as they are so low that it gets intimidating

Thanks! I was discouraged from memorial based on the number of OOP spots and the cost of the application (looking at individual probability). Although I suppose another $200 is worth even a small shot at getting in.

Long time lurker, feeling particularly discouraged and decided to post here for advice.

Ontario resident:

year 1: 3.48 (full credits)

year 2: 3.62 (full credits)

year 3: 3.82 (full credits)

year 4: 3.88 (18 credits, got extremely sick during fall term exams & early on in the winter term, dropped 12 credits without academic penalty due to too much missed time within my honors project to finish)

CGPA: 3.68

no publications/presentations

first mcat: 10/10/10 Q

second mcat: 9/9/12 R

ECs:

varsity athlete for all 4 years, chair + big buddy mentor for mentorship program with an elementary school for 3 years, involved with various university committees (from mental health promotions to investigating academic effectiveness) for 3 years, worked as an RA for the past 2 years, paid research assistant for 8 months @ 20 hours a week, research volunteer for the past 3 years at 3 different labs, research grant in summer of 3rd year, overseas medical initiative. TAship next year along with more research and hospital volunteering.

Did really poorly for the first 1.5 years due to my immaturity and lack of direction. Didn't study nearly as much as I should for my 2 MCATs. Finally thought I got everything figured out in third year with all the research and lucky grant opportunities, just to get crushed in 4th year due to a chronic condition. Getting sick has really discouraged me from medschool as I am not sure if I will ever make it, the constant hospital visits, rejection letters really took a toll on my determination. Was originally offered a MSc after this year but since I was unable to finish my degree the offer was withdrawn.

Spent much of this summer doing nothing other than focusing more on my health. 2013-2014 I will have to go back and do a 5th year to finish my degree(taking a full course load to boost my GPA), aiming to finish my CGPA with 3.74. Not applying for the 2013-2014 cycle as I cannot use my 4th year, will be obtaining a full english credit + rewriting my MCAT in march to apply for OOP/US medschools for the 2014-2015 cycle.

What are my chances? any advice is appreciated, currently sure that MSc and basic science is not for me. Feeling pressured give up and attend pharmacy/law/business school.

You're taking all the right steps. you could also apply to u of t and explain your 4th year in hopes of getting the weighting formula. If you improve your mcat you and keep a solid fifth year gpa you have a good shot at western/queens and mac (primarily verbal dependent.)

Thanks! I was discouraged from memorial based on the number of OOP spots and the cost of the application (looking at individual probability). Although I suppose another $200 is worth even a small shot at getting in.

yeah memorial is expensive app + flight for interview if you get one is a lot but at the same time you miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

Thanks you for your kind reply. I have contacted uoft admission and the response to my situation was positive, ultimately the decision to include me in their weighting formula will be made when I apply.

Terrified of my low gpa messing up any decent chance I have left, is 3.74 going to be adequate for any medschool?

GPA:

The only school that has really shut the door is Ottawa. U of T is super dependent on your medical documentation. Queens will look at your last 2 full time years (3rd and 5th) so your fifth year will be super important for them. Mac accepts a fair number of people with GPA less than 3.7 and Western only requires 2 years above 3.7.

With regards to the MCAT you need to destroy it, especially VR. You'll need an 11 to get an interview at Western and Mac is also dependent on VR. The unofficial Queens cutoff is 10/10/10.

Also make sure to meet Western's 3/5 rule for course level in your 5th year.

Hi! New to the board. Planning on writing my mcat in Sept to apply this cycle.

1st yr 3.0 (Sciences)

2nd yr 3.3 (mech eng)

3rd yr 3.3 (mech eng)

4th yr 3.5 (mech eng)

5th yr Coop work term( not sure if that counts for much)

6th yr 3.9 (mech eng)

EC's: not much for volunteering although I was an archery coach on an off. I have competed at 2 canada games and several national championships.

With unusal circumstances I am planning on applying to mun as a NB resident and U of C as AB resident. What do you think I will need on my mcat to get in? Chances good?

Thank you

Hi! New to the board. Planning on writing my mcat in Sept to apply this cycle.

1st yr 3.0 (Sciences)

2nd yr 3.3 (mech eng)

3rd yr 3.3 (mech eng)

4th yr 3.5 (mech eng)

5th yr Coop work term( not sure if that counts for much)

6th yr 3.9 (mech eng)

EC's: not much for volunteering although I was an archery coach on an off. I have competed at 2 canada games and several national championships.

With unusal circumstances I am planning on applying to mun as a NB resident and U of C as AB resident. What do you think I will need on my mcat to get in? Chances good?

Thank you

K firstly, you can only apply to schools on one residency.

MUN is going to look at all your years of school.... this will likely be a problem for you. (Unless you murder the MCAT).

U of C will only look at the last two full academic years, so that might help you! But, a 3.7 is not extraordinary. (again VR will save you here)

Have you thought about DAL?

K firstly, you can only apply to schools on one residency.

MUN is going to look at all your years of school.... this will likely be a problem for you. (Unless you murder the MCAT).

U of C will only look at the last two full academic years, so that might help you! But, a 3.7 is not extraordinary. (again VR will save you here)

Have you thought about DAL?

Calgary will only drop 1 year. Which gives OP a 3.5 which is not terribly competitive.

Thought about DAL but could not write my MCAT in time.

Is it a guarantee you can't go under two as I meet both residency requirements?

If neither school had a problem with it you could but MUN says on their Website "All applicants are expected to claim the same place of residence on all applications to medical schools."

Hey guys!

ive got some questions

going into 4th year honours phys at UWO

non swomen

omsas gpa: 3.99

MCAT: VR8/BS13/PS13/S

VR10/BS14/PS13

EC's: nothing really amazing. nserc, club exec, tutor, student council, some out of country volunteering but only for a brief period of time, lab volunteering, other personal hobbies etc

Im really feeling like that 10 is gonna be the death of me so please hear me out!

most of my questions are gonna be about how that 10 looks in light of my other stats.

1. so western is completely off the table for me? should i even bother applying to them? ive heard whispers of a legend where a chosen few with vr 10 and non-swomen got an interview :o i guess this would depend on the applicant pool right? or is that 11 cutoff fixed prior to the compilation of the applicant pool?

2. for mac, ive seen the stats for how many get in with 10s in vr but i just wanted to confirm that the VR is weighted the same as the casper and the interview right? also dyou guys reckon a vr 10 is a significantly debilitating stat?

3. for queens ive heard maaany different things about their holistic view. how would they take these stats?

4. i was going to try Calgary and McGill as an OOP applicant, does anyone know what my odds would be with them? ive heard mcgill is especially hard to get into.

thanks in advance!

Hey guys!

ive got some questions

going into 4th year honours phys at UWO

non swomen

omsas gpa: 3.99

MCAT: VR8/BS13/PS13/S

VR10/BS14/PS13

EC's: nothing really amazing. nserc, club exec, tutor, student council, some out of country volunteering but only for a brief period of time, lab volunteering, other personal hobbies etc

Im really feeling like that 10 is gonna be the death of me so please hear me out!

most of my questions are gonna be about how that 10 looks in light of my other stats.

1. so western is completely off the table for me? should i even bother applying to them? ive heard whispers of a legend where a chosen few with vr 10 and non-swomen got an interview :o i guess this would depend on the applicant pool right? or is that 11 cutoff fixed prior to the compilation of the applicant pool?

2. for mac, ive seen the stats for how many get in with 10s in vr but i just wanted to confirm that the VR is weighted the same as the casper and the interview right? also dyou guys reckon a vr 10 is a significantly debilitating stat?

3. for queens ive heard maaany different things about their holistic view. how would they take these stats?

4. i was going to try Calgary and McGill as an OOP applicant, does anyone know what my odds would be with them? ive heard mcgill is especially hard to get into.

thanks in advance!

You should apply to more school than that!

UBC: good shot, especially with your GPA!

Alberta: excellent chance at interview, a 3.99 and 37 mcat is well above average.

Calgary: no chance b/c you need 11VR min...

Sask: you will get an interview because it is just based on your mcat.

Manitoba: Interview likely as well b/c of mcat.

Queens: good shot

Mac: good shot

Ottawa: extremely good shot

U of T: good shot as well.

Not sure about maritimes, but you will most likely get an interview there too. Apply to most of the schools!!!