Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: What are my chances?

First of all, simply stating that I have high marks or MCAT scores is NOT analogous to boasting about said marks/scores. Am I not allowed to ask a question without coming off as boastful if I have a GPA above x and an MCAT above y? Second of all, I mostly wanted to get feedback on my EC's because it seems to be very subjective how they're ranked so I figured a second opinion would be helpful. There was no unnecessary boasting involved in my original post, I was simply doing what every other person on this thread has been doing; namely, asking what my chances are.

As for the common knowledge thing, I'm not quite sure it is. I've seen a lot of posts about people with stellar GPA's and dynamite MCAT scores get rejected for interviews so I just thought to ask.

Hey Man/Gal

Sorry to see you have been given such a hard time on this forum. I don't know where people's negative attitudes stem from.

Some said that there is a geographic bias in the Atlantics.... there is a geographic bias across the country (ex UofT and Queens).

You have a fantastic academic record! Be proud!

You will likely get an interview at the majority of the schools you apply to! I would suggest working on your interviewing skills. Do some moc interviews, ask people how they perceive you in everyday conversation (falgs: arrogant, cocky, shy, etc). If you can learn how to appear humble yet confident... you'll do a lot better.

I hope this helps. Apply where you want to, you have a great shot at an interview at any school, regardless of your geographic location.

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this site/process and need some advice on how to improve my application, here are my details:

Currently doing my MSc at UofT.

Undergrad grades (all full-time):

1st year - 3.51

2nd year - 3.75

3rd year - 3.92

4th year - 3.82

cGPA - 3.75

UofT wGPA - 3.89

UOttawa wGPA - 3.84

MCAT 31

VR 10

PS 10

BS 11

Lots of volunteering, leadership roles, graduate awards, research experience, several national/international conferences and 2 publications (one first author).

I'm wondering if I should re-write the MCAT before applying - would this really help improve my chances significantly?

What else can I do?

What schools are my best chance? UofT?

Do I even have a chance? From a quick scan of this site, I can see that the competition is ridiculous these days.

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this site/process and need some advice on how to improve my application, here are my details:

Currently doing my MSc at UofT.

Undergrad grades (all full-time):

1st year - 3.51

2nd year - 3.75

3rd year - 3.92

4th year - 3.82

cGPA - 3.75

UofT wGPA - 3.89

UOttawa wGPA - 3.84

MCAT 31

VR 10

PS 10

BS 11

Lots of volunteering, leadership roles, graduate awards, research experience, several national/international conferences and 2 publications (one first author).

I'm wondering if I should re-write the MCAT before applying - would this really help improve my chances significantly?

What else can I do?

What schools are my best chance? UofT?

Do I even have a chance? From a quick scan of this site, I can see that the competition is ridiculous these days.

If your not from Ottawa you don't meet their GPA cut-off, UWO is out unless your SWOMEN due to your VR. I'd apply to Masc just rock CASPer, you have a good shot at UofT and well Queens is a wildcard for everyone so I'd definitely apply there as well.

Hi,

Been a bit stressed about my chances especially since I am an older candidate. Here are some details. Any advice would be appreciated :-)

Current PhD student immunology - male

cGPA: 3.63

U of T weighted: 3.85

Ottawa weighted: 3.84

MCAT: VR8/BS11/PS11

Very strong research. 7 publications, numerous awards (CIHR, OGS), 15 conference presentations, undergrad student supervision, 5 years of TA experience

Strong Extra-curriculars, volunteer and work experience. Been working since I was 16 to put myself through school.

Thinking of applying to Mac, Toronto and Ottawa.

Thoughts?

Thanks for the input!

OOP (and Quebec) french stream at uOttawa - you'd have a good chance

Currently in 4th year undergrad, applying to Ontario schools

cGPA: 3.78

UofT wGPA: 3.89

Ottawa wGPA about 3.8

MCAT: 9/8/13/S (PS/VR/BS)

Assuming great LORs, essays and strong/great diversity among ECs, what are my chances (specifically for uoft) b/c i realize that the other schools due to either GPA for ottawa or VR for the other schools isn't looking too good.

How am I looking as a 3rd year IP ucalgary applicant?

I have a 3.75 gpa, and my mcat is 9/12/11. I have diverse ECs.

Any chance I will get an interview?

GPA is on the low side for 3rd years for sure -- you definitely have to make up for that with your LORs and ECs. But your VR and ECs may make up for it since the Pre MMI score is largely non-cognitive (60% ECs) and only 20% GPA.

Conclusion: Go for it.

Kill your courses this year to bump you GPA (Especially UofT since they only look at two years) Use the MCAT you took this year as motivation to do better next summer. ATB

no they do not. Starting from when you're in 4th year, they drop 3 lowest credits from years 1-3. Each full year you complete after that (including fourth years as well as if you do a second degree), they will drop 1 credit worth of marks. I.e if you have a degree and you've taken 2 years of another degree that 6 years you've completed. They will take all your marks you've done and drop the 12 lowest courses

this weighing formula hinges on you taking 5 full courses every sem. one course dropped equals no weighing formula

Chances for Queens and Mac?

1st yr: 3.55

2nd yr: 3.57

3rd yr: 3.76

4th yr: 3.83

cgpa: 3.67

last 2yr gpa: 3.795

MCAT: 10/10/10

ECs: pretty decent/diverse

gpa's on low side for mac, queens i would think ur 2 yr is decently competitive. for mac, youd need to kill casper. for queens, id say it comes down to your abs

Where do I have a chance?

4th year (from London, so Western won't care that my score is unbalanced)

MCAT:

VR: 12

BS: 11

PS: 8

Total: 31

cGPA: 3.28 (doesn't count grades from year on exchange; my GPA was 3.7 on exchange)

ECs: lots of leadership positions, LOTS of volunteering, most health-related, includes hospital volunteering & research

Applying to: Western, Queen's, McMaster, Toronto, McGill

Just got my MCAT score today, really happy about VR.

Ontario Resident

4th year applicant

GPA: 3.9+

MCAT: 14, 10, 11 (previously written once, bad VR)

EC: Average (I think), 2 NSERCs

Applied to: UBC

Working on: OMSAS (Ottawa, Toronto, Queen's, Mac)

Will apply to: McGill, Alberta, Saskatchewan

Considering: Manitoba

What are my chances (especially the OOP schools)?

Should I release MCAT to McGill (Prereq GPA should be >3.9 too)

Should I apply to Manitoba with MCAT of 11.375?

Should I consider some American schools, or is it too late in the game?

Thanks!

Where do I have a chance?

4th year (from London, so Western won't care that my score is unbalanced)

MCAT:

VR: 12

BS: 11

PS: 8

Total: 31

cGPA: 3.28 (doesn't count grades from year on exchange; my GPA was 3.7 on exchange)

ECs: lots of leadership positions, LOTS of volunteering, most health-related, includes hospital volunteering & research

Applying to: Western, Queen's, McMaster, Toronto, McGill

You'll get flagged at UofT for your PS and i don't think you'll make the cut-off for PS at Queens (9 last year)

I would release to McGill.

Just got my MCAT score today, really happy about VR.

Ontario Resident

4th year applicant

GPA: 3.9+

MCAT: 14, 10, 11 (previously written once, bad VR)

EC: Average (I think), 2 NSERCs

Applied to: UBC

Working on: OMSAS (Ottawa, Toronto, Queen's, Mac)

Will apply to: McGill, Alberta, Saskatchewan

Considering: Manitoba

What are my chances (especially the OOP schools)?

Should I release MCAT to McGill (Prereq GPA should be >3.9 too)

Should I apply to Manitoba with MCAT of 11.375?

Should I consider some American schools, or is it too late in the game?

Thanks!

Do I have a chance at any of the school's I'm applying to?

IP Ontario, 4th year

cGPA: 3.95

11 VR

14 PS

14 BS

ECs: sub-par. 1 summer research, some hospital volunteering, some community volunteering, some research volunteering.

Applying to: UWO, McMaster, UofT, Ottawa, Queen's, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta

Thanks!

With a username like that and incredible stats above, of course you have a chance to be a buttlicker. Your chances are incredibly high!