Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: What are my chances?

GPA

1st - 3.84

2nd - 3.87

3rd - 3.90

MCAT: 32

ECs:

- Worked as medical assistant over 1 summer (4 months)

- Volunteered at a medical clinic & assisted with patient filing/clerical work (4 months)

- Basketball coach (3 years)

- Physiotherapy Assistant (volunteer, 1.5 year)

- Volunteered with a research study (1.5 year)

- Hospital CT Scan volunteer (1 year)

- English club teacher (3 semesters)

- Certified Lifeguard

- Certified Personal Trainer

- Painter with college pro painting (1 summer)

- Notetaker for disabled students (2 years)

NOTE: I am an IN PROV applicant for both!

What would my chances be at Calgary & Ualberta?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!:D

GPA

1st - 3.84

2nd - 3.87

3rd - 3.90

MCAT: 32

ECs:

- Worked as medical assistant over 1 summer (4 months)

- Volunteered at a medical clinic & assisted with patient filing/clerical work (4 months)

- Basketball coach (3 years)

- Physiotherapy Assistant (volunteer, 1.5 year)

- Volunteered with a research study (1.5 year)

- Hospital CT Scan volunteer (1 year)

- English club teacher (3 semesters)

- Certified Lifeguard

- Certified Personal Trainer

- Painter with college pro painting (1 summer)

- Notetaker for disabled students (2 years)

NOTE: I am an IN PROV applicant for both!

What would my chances be at Calgary & Ualberta?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!:D

I'd say you have a better chance at U of C, but apply to both places regardless. The MCAT score may be a little low, perhaps consider rewriting.

I'd say you have a better chance at U of C, but apply to both places regardless. The MCAT score may be a little low, perhaps consider rewriting.

Thanks for the reply. Ya I plan to write it again soon. I'm looking at a 34 based on practice aamcs recently so I hope that'll help me with ualberta acceptance. Do you think I have a good shot at 4th year + cycle? Perhaps if I got a 3.9+ for 4th year and was able to drop that first year in gpa calc?

Keep doing ECs, which is key. Market yourself well! As a third year applicant, your chances are there but minimal, but I encourage you to apply. Let me see your ABS and indicate the character limit as I forget.

Thank you for the truthful words.

My ABS is mostly as listed, I used the key words every time when talking about my responsibilities (e.g., Collaborated with co-workers to ensure safety of children, or something like that). OMSAS is down for the moment so I do not have access to my exact phrasing.

The character limit is 150.

Could I PM you the exact phrasing when the application is up and running?

Hey guys, long time lurker. Just wondering what my chances are at getting an interview somewhere in Ontario. I'm also applying to UBC, Memorial, Manitoba, Calgary, and Alberta. Let me know if you guys think I have a shot anywhere:

GPA: 3.93

MCAT: 42 (15/13/14)

ECs:

Pretty solid, I have a few research studies that I volunteer for. I'm also involved in a few studies that could get me published soon, including my own research project on which I would be first or second author. Also involved in various school clubs, and regular volunteering at a hospital.

Thanks for the help guys!

Hi and thanks for your reply,

I am second language French. I am currently residing in Ontario, but plan on moving to Quebec early 2014.

If you move to Quebec and the French medical schools will recognize you as Quebecer, you will have a shot, but I dont know if they will. Ask them or try to get information on the French forum.

Hey guys, long time lurker. Just wondering what my chances are at getting an interview somewhere in Ontario. I'm also applying to UBC, Memorial, Manitoba, Calgary, and Alberta. Let me know if you guys think I have a shot anywhere:

GPA: 3.93

MCAT: 42 (15/13/14)

ECs:

Pretty solid, I have a few research studies that I volunteer for. I'm also involved in a few studies that could get me published soon, including my own research project on which I would be first or second author. Also involved in various school clubs, and regular volunteering at a hospital.

Thanks for the help guys!

Dont bother applying with those stats bro. Your GPA and MCAT are terrible. It would be a waste of money.

Dont bother applying with those stats bro. Your GPA and MCAT are terrible. It would be a waste of money.

Sorry if I've offended anyone, but I just wanted a serious response. I'm trying to plan ahead to the schools I have a better shot at so I can focus on those applications. Not really understanding what's up with the sarcasm lol

Sorry if I've offended anyone, but I just wanted a serious response. I'm trying to plan ahead to the schools I have a better shot at so I can focus on those applications. Not really understanding what's up with the sarcasm lol

Its pretty common knowledge that an MCAT like that and 3.9+ gives you a legit shot at any school that doesn't have strong geographical preference (ex. NOSM, the Atlantic med schools)

Its pretty common knowledge that an MCAT like that and 3.9+ gives you a legit shot at any school that doesn't have strong geographical preference (ex. NOSM, the Atlantic med schools)

Also, if you have been lurking here for a long time as you claimed you would not need to ask questions like that. So most of the sarcasm is probably in response to your unnecessary question boasting about your marks and MCAT.. if they are real...

Also, if you have been lurking here for a long time as you claimed you would not need to ask questions like that. So most of the sarcasm is probably in response to your unnecessary question boasting about your marks and MCAT.. if they are real...

First of all, simply stating that I have high marks or MCAT scores is NOT analogous to boasting about said marks/scores. Am I not allowed to ask a question without coming off as boastful if I have a GPA above x and an MCAT above y? Second of all, I mostly wanted to get feedback on my EC's because it seems to be very subjective how they're ranked so I figured a second opinion would be helpful. There was no unnecessary boasting involved in my original post, I was simply doing what every other person on this thread has been doing; namely, asking what my chances are.

As for the common knowledge thing, I'm not quite sure it is. I've seen a lot of posts about people with stellar GPA's and dynamite MCAT scores get rejected for interviews so I just thought to ask.

Hi,

Been a bit stressed about my chances especially since I am an older candidate. Here are some details. Any advice would be appreciated :-)

Current PhD student immunology - male

cGPA: 3.63

U of T weighted: 3.85

Ottawa weighted: 3.84

MCAT: VR8/BS11/PS11

Very strong research. 7 publications, numerous awards (CIHR, OGS), 15 conference presentations, undergrad student supervision, 5 years of TA experience

Strong Extra-curriculars, volunteer and work experience. Been working since I was 16 to put myself through school.

Thinking of applying to Mac, Toronto and Ottawa.

Thoughts?

Thanks for the input!

Toronto, I believe you have a shot, do well on the narratives. For Ottawa, do you meet GPA cutoff s? VR is low for Mac, would you be allowed to write Casper? If so, you would need to do very well.

Hi,

Been a bit stressed about my chances especially since I am an older candidate. Here are some details. Any advice would be appreciated :-)

Very strong research. 7 publications, numerous awards (CIHR, OGS), 15 conference presentations, undergrad student supervision, 5 years of TA experience

Strong Extra-curriculars, volunteer and work experience. Been working since I was 16 to put myself through school.

Thoughts?

Thanks for the input!

Hi,

Thoughts?

Thanks for the input!

unless you are from ottawa you dont have a shot there

Mac is slimto none. Do you have a masters? or just phd in progress?

U of t looks to be your best shot this year but you will get flagged from the 8 invr

I would rewrite if your unsuccessful this year