FAQ: What are my chances?

GPA.

1st: 3.78 (3.74 OMSAS)

2nd: 3.91 (3.84 OMSAS)

*UofT wGPA = 3.86

MCAT.

1st try: 33 (13PS, 9VR,11BS) and plan to write again

ECs.

- lots of ophthalmology-based work (i.e. 2 year clinical research ongoing, inner city school screenings, assisting an older blind man each week to complete daily tasks, unite for sight ghana in summer)

- esl teaching + tutoring at immigrant centre

- exec for couple student clubs (1 is sports-related + 1 inner city related)

- founded a program where researchers interact with students in a panel form and mixer (event each month)

- 2 summers of cultural-competency research in family med and nursing with 2 pubs

- founded a personal finance course for immigrants/refugees held by uni business students

- coordinating after-school sports program at inner city school each week

- independent study with professor about aboriginal health in canada

- started Social Equity subcommittee for Edmonton Youth Council (which works with city council on issues relating to youth)

Im IP for Alberta and hope to stay in the province for med. May consider UofT if I can bring up my marks or Queens if I can make last two years good. I'm more interested in socio-economic and ethno-cultural aspects of health so ive focused more on underprivileged populations in general (i.e. inner city, immigrants/refugees, aboriginal) but have also interest in eyes. Didn't want to volunteer at hospitals or be president of every student club on campus for the sake of med, just followed my passions and interests.

HELP ME! Do I have any hope? Where do I improve?

At the moment I'd say give U of C a shot as a second year applicant. If you have strong reference letters it could be a possibility. I'd wait and apply after 3rd year to U of A.

That MCAT isn't bad imo, just the VR could be a bit better. I say leave it be. With the 2015 MCAT around the corner you don't want to take any chances.

If you want to go to those Ontario schools do good in your 3rd year, and you definitely have a shot.

At the moment I'd say give U of C a shot as a second year applicant. If you have strong reference letters it could be a possibility. I'd wait and apply after 3rd year to U of A.

That MCAT isn't bad imo, just the VR could be a bit better. I say leave it be. With the 2015 MCAT around the corner you don't want to take any chances.

If you want to go to those Ontario schools do good in your 3rd year, and you definitely have a shot.

The chances of getting into UofC as a second year applicant are pretty low, especially considering last year the average age of acceptance was 27. You can definitely give it a shot as practice, and lightning may strike, but I wouldn't be surprised if you were not accepted just yet.

However, your EC's are fantastic, and as long as you keep your GPA up, I think you definitely have a chance at being accepted here eventually! I just don't think it is likely to happen this cycle, which is totally fine. Lots of time to be a doctor! :)

ETA: Finally found the stats for # of people accepted with two years of undergraduate studies in each class! Here there are for your reference:

Class of 2012: 3/180

Class of 2013: 2/170

Class of 2014: 0/172

Class of 2015: 0/170

I don't know what it is for the Class of 2016, but the trend points towards a decreased chance for those with only 2 years of undergrad. Not trying to be a bummer, just letting you know what's up! There are quite a few more accepted with 3 years of undergrad (26, 21, 14, and 15 respectively), so your application may be better received next year.

GPA.

*UofT wGPA = 3.86

MCAT.

ECs.

- lots of ophthalmology-based work (i.e. 2 year clinical research ongoing, inner city school screenings, assisting an older blind man each week to complete daily tasks, unite for sight ghana in summer)

- founded a program where researchers interact with students in a panel form and mixer (event each month)

- 2 summers of cultural-competency research in family med and nursing with 2 pubs

- founded a personal finance course for immigrants/refugees held by uni business students

- started Social Equity subcommittee for Edmonton Youth Council (which works with city council on issues relating to youth)

Im IP for Alberta and hope to stay in the province for med. May consider UofT if I can bring up my marks or Queens if I can make last two years good. I'm more interested in socio-economic and ethno-cultural aspects of health so ive focused more on underprivileged populations in general (i.e. inner city, immigrants/refugees, aboriginal) but have also interest in eyes. Didn't want to volunteer at hospitals or be president of every student club on campus for the sake of med, just followed my passions and interests.

Just want to clarify that you don't get a wGPA at UofT if you're a 3rd year applicant. So your UofT cGPA will be whatever value appears on your OMSAS application.

GPA.

*UofT wGPA = 3.86

MCAT.

ECs.

Unfortunately for Queens, you need at least 10 in VR to stand a chance. If you think you can improve the 9 in VR, I'd definitely rewrite. For UofT though you should be good even with the 9 in VR (for next year's application cycle). You have amazing ECs, which U of T likes.

Hey guys, just submitted OMSAS for all schools before MCAT came out -_-. What are my chances?

1 - 3.47

2 - 3.96

3 - 3.97

32 = PS 12, VR 9*, BS 11

SWOMEN

EC - average

well GL at Toronto and Ottawa i think these two are the only schools you have a chance in. western and NOSM are out unless you have the geographic advantages and Mac is a long shot with that VR.

edit: whats your UofT WGPA? if you didnt meet full course requirements then UofT is out as well.

well GL at Toronto and Ottawa i think these two are the only schools you have a chance in. western and NOSM are out unless you have the geographic advantages and Mac is a long shot with that VR.

edit: whats your UofT WGPA? if you didnt meet full course requirements then UofT is out as well.

they said they are SWOMEN, will most likely get an interview at western with those scores as SWOMEN.

Mac-probably not the best shot, but if OP kills CASPER, might have a shot. Queens is probably out too

Thank you for the few of you who provided feedback! I should have mentioned that I plan to apply in 4th year anyways (not now) so Alberta can drop the lowest mark, maybe keep my ECs continuing long-term, and be mentally ready for this journey. I honestly did not think my marks are good enough and ECs weren't great as some students who have gotten accepted before. Love you all for support and input. Wouldnt mind hearing from @future_doc though ;)

got a 31. is that good enough for ubc, u of a and u of c? I'm IP at all three.

We'll definitely need a breakdown to give you an answer for U of C.

U of A looks at an overall, so 31 isn't too bad, not at the top of the list, but still not bad. (This is assuming you've met the cutoffs - 7's across the board I believe it is)

UBC also looks at an overall, once again, you must meet cut off requirements, UBC I believe is also a 7 across the board. However, UBC places little emphasis on the MCAT.

Your score is meaningless without the breakdown. Its like saying your GPA is a rational number....and???

We'll definitely need a breakdown to give you an answer for U of C.

U of A looks at an overall, so 31 isn't too bad, not at the top of the list, but still not bad. (This is assuming you've met the cutoffs - 7's across the board I believe it is)

UBC also looks at an overall, once again, you must meet cut off requirements, UBC I believe is also a 7 across the board. However, UBC places little emphasis on the MCAT.

11/10(VR)/10

Hey guys, long time lurker and first time poster. I was hoping you guys could rate my EC's for me and let me know areas were I can improve!

Nserc UBC: 1 summer

UBC medicine summer student research project: 2 months of summer

1 conference presentation

1 publication (first author)

Crisis advocate- 8 months (130 hours)

soccer (community league- 15 years- 4 hours a week

volunteer lab assistant: 2 years- 120 hours ~4 hours a week

volunteer lab assistant in a different lab: 2 years 120 hours~4 hours a week

Paid research assistant: 10 months, 8 hours a week ~300 hours

Club executive- 2 years- 60 hours

neurologist shadowing- 30 hours

I have also worked at the same restaurant for 8 years now full time even during school (40 hours a week), in summers I was working two jobs.

Host- 1 year

Server-1.5 years

Head server- 2 years

Junior Manager/Floor supervisor:2 years

Assistant Manager: 1.5 years

My main worry is that because of my job (had to support myself and my sister throughout university) I didn't get a chance to volunteer too much and I have some free time now where I can add some more activities.

Thanks!

You appear to be in good shape. :) Volunteer in something you will enjoy, perhaps helping out others from lower socio-economic group, adults or youngsters.

thanks for the reply, I will definatley look into some volunteer positions along those lines.

I was just wondering, I know there is no definate answer but how do med schools value work experience as opposed to volunteer?

Hey!

I was wondering if y'all could chance me and possibly give me some advice?

Undergrad: 3rd Year BScN

cGPA: 3.96 (3.95 in 1st year; 3.96 in 2nd Year)

MCAT: 31 - 10PS/10VR/11BS

EMPLOYMENT

Lab Research Assistant - 450 hrs

Lab Research Assistant - 247.50 hrs

Counselor at free summer sports camp for underprivileged kids - 210 hrs

VOLUNTEER EXPERIENCES

Adult Day Centre - 100 hours

Nursing program Ad Com - 40 hours

Student Success Leader - 100 hours

Tutoring immigrant youth summer after first year - 50 hours

Volleyball Team Manager in high school - 240 hours

Helping out with dad's home business - 100 hours

Gr. 9 orientation leader for 2 years

Tutoring Chemistry and Math 3 years

EXTRACURRICULAR

University

Cofounder of 1 club; exec on premed club; intramural volleyball; gospel choir; Christian fellowship; African Student's association

Highschool

DECA Co-president for 2 years; volleyball on school team for 4 years on a club team for 1 year; Liturgy planning commitee 4 years; Black History Month planning committee 4 years; Concert Choir 4 years; School musical 1 year

RESEARCH

Should have 1 first author publication (qualitative research) in a developing nursing journal by the end of the year.

I'm IP in Ontario. So, I'm worried about two things: my MCAT and extracurriculars.

1) I'm worried that my GPA's not high enough to compensate for my MCAT and that my verbal score rules out Calgary and Western which is a problem given that I have no prereqs (chem, bio, orgo, or physics). I'm wondering if it's in my best interest to spend next summer studying for an MCAT rewrite or if my time is better spent acquiring prereqs and more research and work so I can apply more broadly.

2) For the most part, I've done with my volunteer and extracurrics, stuff that I was really passionate about. I feel though like all the stuff I've done is pretty standard or everyone who's pursuing a carrer in medicine. How do I stand out in a crowd of rock stars?