Premed 101 Forums

2009 Queen's Interviews - When they are coming out / email delays / a few stats

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest viscous

10/10/10 R is a very bad news for people who are with me in the 9 VR boat. i guess we were destined to drown this year by Queens' tormenting cutoff storm.

I'm guessing by now there is a consensus that there are a lot people around without replys whether they be rejections or invites.

I find it strange that both invites and rejections went out but the mass majority seem to be rejections.

And looking at the stats being posted, I must say that this year the requirements are nuts.

Here's my current theory:

High GPA cut-off: Maybe mid 3.8 because of the spike in applicants applying due to Queen's changing their MCAT requirements last year.

MCAT: 10/10/10 R

I think most of the rejections can be explained using this criteria. I think... there are too many to check everything >_<

I don't think queens can use the MCAT your proposing and keep their gpa high...

It doesn't make sense that they can draw the number of interviews they're claiming to draw (760) while western goes ahead and uses their cutoffs and get that many less interviews (~480)....

Given there are a few differences between the two schools... If queen's could use those cutoffs western would have had to go way higher than they did...

And if you look at the rejections there are a 10/10/10 T and 10/10/10 S rejected suggesting the cumulative is higher than 30.

Ok spike in applicants doesn't case that much of an increase, vanguard. You are proposing increasing each section by 1 and the total by 5, in addition to increasing the gpa by an entire 0.1. We're not there yet. I don't think we should be posting such bogus theories until we know (and no I'm not angry at you or anything. I actually meet your proposed cutoffs, but there are a lot of people on these forums that are anxious right now).

Based on the rejections, it seems that we can assume what has been said before - something of a 10/10/10 R with a 32 total. Again its best to wait until they fix this problem.

Ok spike in applicants doesn't case that much of an increase, vanguard. You are proposing increasing each section by 1 and the total by 5, in addition to increasing the gpa by an entire 0.1. We're not there yet. I don't think we should be posting such bogus theories until we know (and no I'm not angry at you or anything. I actually meet your proposed cutoffs, but there are a lot of people on these forums that are anxious right now).

Based on the rejections, it seems that we can assume what has been said before - something of a 10/10/10 R with a 32 total. Again its best to wait until they fix this problem.

What if MCAT marks are just getting inflated because of the computer format and people writing multiple times?

What if MCAT marks are just getting inflated because of the computer format and people writing multiple times?

Well when i talked to Jenn saunders last year she told me that they saw no inflation, but for some reason saw lower VR scores. UWO reported lower applications last year due to limitations on rewriting.

Regardless, just because you can rewrite multiple times doesn't necessarily mean you will get a higher score. Looking at the stats, its like a 30% chance to go from 9 to a 10 in VR if you decide to rewrite. There is a really cool table on the aamc website.

I am just trying to say that just because you can rewrite often doesn't mean you will get a really good score because its not a random event.

Besides, we would've seen an inflation in the mcat averages of US schools which are really insignificant.

Well when i talked to Jenn saunders last year she told me that they saw no inflation, but for some reason saw lower VR scores. UWO reported lower applications last year due to limitations on rewriting.

Regardless, just because you can rewrite multiple times doesn't necessarily mean you will get a higher score. Looking at the stats, its like a 30% chance to go from 9 to a 10 in VR if you decide to rewrite. There is a really cool table on the aamc website.

I am just trying to say that just because you can rewrite often doesn't mean you will get a really good score because its not a random event.

Besides, we would've seen an inflation in the mcat averages of US schools which are really insignificant.

I think that is why they were not too afraid of making it something you can take multiple times. People certainly can improve - particularly if they were not ready the first time you did the test, but scores do tend to be stable.

Unless you are Law and having a really bad day.

I think that is why they were not too afraid of making it something you can take multiple times. People certainly can improve - particularly if they were not ready the first time you did the test, but scores do tend to be stable.

Unless you are Law and having a really bad day.

Yeah but im just saying that its not like drawing numbers out of a hat. You won't get a solid score just by continuously rewriting it - something has to improve - and you can't keep improving without experiencing diminishing returns.

Archived