Premed 101 Forums

What's everyone doing? (Vol II)

Jochi1543

• Replies 23.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On another topic, there is an unwritten rule here that anything disclosed by PM between members is never to be made public by the member receiving this information and is to be held in confidence. In over 3 years and with many thousands of PMs behind me, only one member has ever disclosed information. What was disclosed was not serious but we all assume and trust that this won't happen. When it does happen, it makes us even more careful about disclosing information by PM.

Makeup products are too expensive for my liking. Got quite the sticker shock when I picked up a tinted moisturizer + powder today T_T. Or it could be that I don't know where to look to buy good quality and yet affordable products. I think I'll just stick with my "au-naturel" face :P

Makeup products are too expensive for my liking. Got quite the sticker shock when I picked up a tinted moisturizer + powder today T_T. Or it could be that I don't know where to look to buy good quality and yet affordable products. I think I'll just stick with my "au-naturel" face :P

Oh you can definitely find good, affordable makeup.

Talk to me lol.

About whatever you are looking for in the future. And your budget.

I've been obsessed with makeup/hair for years :)

First outdoor (short) run of the year.. Still running with my left arm down by my side because 30 minutes with my elbow bent would probably be enough at this point to get my biceps in spasm for a week ;) My goal for the spring is to really start to enjoy running... I really really want to!! Seeing as I can't just hop in the water any time I want, having a great time while running would be so perfect. Runners, tricks/tips to enjoy it more at the beginning, find it less boring? I just can't seem to let my mind go, maybe partly from all my training in swimming where you *didn't* want to do so!

Meeting with my surgeon on Monday!! I'm not quite where I was hoping to be (still missing a bit of range in flexion and a lot in abd), but still I'm hoping he's happy with my progress and gives me the green light to finally start strengthening my arm. Took an easy week this past week as apparently the shopping I did on Monday was enough to get the top of my biceps and front of my shoulder in spasms for 5 days even when I was super careful :/

I'm wondering how many premeds here actually know what kind of lifestyle they're getting into with med here....

I figured it was hard before starting med but now that I'm finishing 2nd yr I think I'm getting a true grasp of what this profession is. It almost consumes your life. 60hr weeks is either average or a "chill" week depending on specialty. On call is more work than I previously thought. Then theres the feeling of obligation you have to always be available for your patients. There is no time when you can just be like "ok job done don't need to worry about these patients" unless you're emerg I guess. And then residency is tricky or almost impossible to score exactly where you want, and fellowships are almost always 2+ years in the states. This career takes over your life more than most.

The worst is general internal med. Your life is the ward. Having a quality family life / personal life is considered a "against all odds" type of accomplishment. My preceptor spent 90+ hrs last week in the ward including 13 hrs on sunday. I'm thoroughly convinced that is not where I want to be...

EDIT: Forgot about surg. You almost need to have a pathological desire to cut people for this.

First outdoor (short) run of the year.. Still running with my left arm down by my side because 30 minutes with my elbow bent would probably be enough at this point to get my biceps in spasm for a week ;) My goal for the spring is to really start to enjoy running... I really really want to!! Seeing as I can't just hop in the water any time I want, having a great time while running would be so perfect. Runners, tricks/tips to enjoy it more at the beginning, find it less boring? I just can't seem to let my mind go, maybe partly from all my training in swimming where you *didn't* want to do so!

Meeting with my surgeon on Monday!! I'm not quite where I was hoping to be (still missing a bit of range in flexion and a lot in abd), but still I'm hoping he's happy with my progress and gives me the green light to finally start strengthening my arm. Took an easy week this past week as apparently the shopping I did on Monday was enough to get the top of my biceps and front of my shoulder in spasms for 5 days even when I was super careful :/

I find taking new routes to be the best way to stay interested while running long distances. I get bored running the same loop around my street again and again, so I like to switch things up by going to some far-out there places. Just make sure to keep hydrated!

I got in my first run for spring this past Wednesday when it was REALLY nice outside in Toronto. It's looking like spring is here to stay starting next week so out we go!

Talk to me lol.

I second this recommendation. Cerena knows her stuff.

Just saw a mark for a paper I wrote. 75% which is baffling me considering the marker indicated great, very good or excellent on all the marking criteria but noted one grammatical issue and one spelling error.

And people wonder why I HATE courses or programs so focused on writing. Had I really known how intensive the writing was in this program I am not sure I would have picked it just because I loathe subjectivity in marking and that's really too bad because I love the content of the program - it aligns very well to my interests and capabilities.

Talk to me lol.

Me too! Anyone who ventures into my room is always absolutely amazed/horrified that I have so many products because my daily hair/makeup style is rather "natural". Also Cerena, I remember you mentioning how much you loved the Naked palette, and I recently invested in it and adore it as well!:)

Me too! Anyone who ventures into my room is always absolutely amazed/horrified that I have so many products because my daily hair/makeup style is rather "natural". Also Cerena, I remember you mentioning how much you loved the Naked palette, and I recently invested in it and adore it as well!:)

Hey Claire :)

Glad you have enjoyed the naked palette! Buck is so probably my favourite colour because you can use it for a countour. The palette is so versatile, who cares if it's expensive, it's all you need! I've been drooling over the Naked2 palette though... and get this... it has a matte black. I repeat: matte black!!

How are you liking UD's mini primer potion? I must admit... when in Van I splurged and bought the professional size potion in Eden -- I will not go back to the original, eden is fantastic.

Oh, I've seriously fallen in love with MakeupForever's HD foundation, but it's so expensive. Though, it's the only foundation that I've ever been satisfied with. What are you using?

Hey Claire :)

Glad you have enjoyed the naked palette! Buck is so probably my favourite colour because you can use it for a countour. The palette is so versatile, who cares if it's expensive, it's all you need! I've been drooling over the Naked2 palette though... and get this... it has a matte black. I repeat: matte black!!

How are you liking UD's mini primer potion? I must admit... when in Van I splurged and bought the professional size potion in Eden -- I will not go back to the original, eden is fantastic.

Oh, I've seriously fallen in love with MakeupForever's HD foundation, but it's so expensive. Though, it's the only foundation that I've ever been satisfied with. What are you using?

I am wearing Buck today! I have been lusting after the Naked2 palette as well. I also love the matte black, and I think the variety of greys is just amazing because I am very fair and so they will work with my skin tone perfectly.

I like but don't love the primer potion. I still find that over the course of the day the shimmer eyeshadows tend to migrate towards the crease, although I don't have such a problem with the matte ones. Do you find that Eden works even with the shimmer shadows?

That is so funny that you mention MakeupForever's HD foundation. I used the Clinique Superfit for a really long time before it was discontinued (even though the match wasn't perfect), and afterwards I couldn't find ANYTHING that would work with my skin tone...until I found MakeupForever. Honestly, even though it is expensive there is no way I would change to anything else. The coverage and undertones are just perfect, and even though it is on the higher coverage end it very rarely looks "cakey". It is definitely my 'desert island' product.

Do you also use the HD finish powder? I really like this product for when my skin is acting up, because I find it helps downplay any irregularities in texture and tone. When my skin is "well behaved" (:P ) I tend to add a couple of drops to the Nars Orgasm illuminator to my foundation, have you ever tried it?

Are you also a skin care product junkie? I am currently on a quest for a new moisturizer because my aesthetician was commenting on how dry my skin was last time I saw her, and so I am looking for suggestions!

Just saw a mark for a paper I wrote. 75% which is baffling me considering the marker indicated great, very good or excellent on all the marking criteria but noted one grammatical issue and one spelling error.

And people wonder why I HATE courses or programs so focused on writing. Had I really known how intensive the writing was in this program I am not sure I would have picked it just because I loathe subjectivity in marking and that's really too bad because I love the content of the program - it aligns very well to my interests and capabilities.

I agree with future_doc, can you get it remarked?

I have this problem with a feminist course I'm taking (no offence, would not have taken it if I knew it was lol), where I keep handing in papers that I know I did well on (not only from my own subjective opinion) but b/c I submit it to so many people to look over it/edit it including 2 writing centres at York and nothing seems to cut it.. anyways I got it remarked and my mark went up, and so did a lot of people in my class.... so yeah, long story short, if you you deserved better and it's not too late for remarking, I'd go for it

Do you find that Eden works even with the shimmer shadows?

I find that Eden is superior to the original UD primer potion in terms of anti-creasing. Also, the amazing thing about eden is that is totally matifies your lids and makes shimmer shadows pop brilliantly. Though, I have not tried sin, I am scared sin will cause my shadows to crease. Needless to say, I'm very satisfied with eden for now!

That is so funny that you mention MakeupForever's HD foundation. I used the Clinique Superfit for a really long time before it was discontinued (even though the match wasn't perfect), and afterwards I couldn't find ANYTHING that would work with my skin tone...until I found MakeupForever. Honestly, even though it is expensive there is no way I would change to anything else. The coverage and undertones are just perfect, and even though it is on the higher coverage end it very rarely looks "cakey". It is definitely my 'desert island' product.

Do you also use the HD finish powder? I really like this product for when my skin is acting up, because I find it helps downplay any irregularities in texture and tone. When my skin is "well behaved" (:P ) I tend to add a couple of drops to the Nars Orgasm illuminator to my foundation, have you ever tried it?

Hmm I really wanted to use MakeupForever's HD finish powder, but I have not purchased it yet. Though, I really like the idea off adding Nars Orgasm to my foundation! I'll have to try it next winter!

Are you also a skin care product junkie? I am currently on a quest for a new moisturizer because my aesthetician was commenting on how dry my skin was last time I saw her, and so I am looking for suggestions!

Oh yes! I love cetaphil but it is definitely not for everyone. I have dry skin too, and I really love cetaphil facial moisturiser with spf 15. It is so moisturising. Have you tried it?

Oh, and I have fair skin as well, but it tends to get much darker in the spring/summer. What is your current blush? I'm loving dollface by tarte.

For moisturizers I personally, recommend either Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel (it's not really a gel per se, but it's super light and sinks into your skin much faster than thicker moisturizers) or Philosophy Hope In a Jar. You can find both at Sephora. Although they are both a tad costly, but totally worth it. What type of skin do you have? (dry, oily, combination?)

For moisturizers I personally, recommend either Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel (it's not really a gel per se, but it's super light and sinks into your skin much faster than thicker moisturizers) or Philosophy Hope In a Jar. You can find both at Sephora. Although they are both a tad costly, but totally worth it. What type of skin do you have? (dry, oily, combination?)

^^ this, I'd recommend requesting a sample, if possible, of these before purchasing!

Do you dry palms? Mine tend to be slightly moist so most moisturizers are a nightmare. They just make my hands very oily

Archived