Premed 101 Forums

McMaster MD Program: Class of 2013!

Just a note to those thinking of bringing a pet with them but are concerned about apartment hunting:

While looking for apartments the other day, I spoke to the superintendent regarding the all too common "no pets allowed" policy. According to her, Ontario law stipulates that tenants can't be turned down because of a pet. Buildings post no pet policies because they hope it will deter pet owners from applying, but they can't legally be prohibited from renting so long as they are responsible for their pet's behavior. That being said, I haven't confirmed this with anyone so take it with a grain of salt. But it's something to consider if you are worried about finding adequate living with your animal partner.

Yup, I can confirm this. When I talked to someone at the Mac off-campus housing centre a while back, they said the same thing.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What kind of puppy are you considering?

Ideally? Perhaps a Chesapeake.

But who am I kiddin'? There's no way I could properly care for such an animal! :o

Ok, that helps a lot!

Whoops! :P

Maybe that hint was a bit over-the-top! ;)

...Although there's really nothing like a dog - I am definitely planning to get one as soon as I think I can handle it...

Same. :)

They can't kick you out for a pet, but a bunch of them are likely not to chose you to rent their place which they can make up any reason for.

I've found with several now in Ottawa, if I do a good job of explaining our dog's training and what we do to take care of him in regards to cleaning/fleas and so on... that most have made exceptions to their no pets policy.

I know I can just lie and bring him in and say, you can't kick us out because of our dog. But it is an easy way to start a terrible relationship with a landlord who will do their best at the end of your lease to find anything the pet may have done that they can charge you for. I've had bad landlords in the past, and it's just not worth the hassle.

...who wants to turn their landlord into a slumlord, anyway! :P

...I know I can just lie and bring him in and say, you can't kick us out because of our dog. But it is an easy way to start a terrible relationship with a landlord who will do their best at the end of your lease to find anything the pet may have done that they can charge you for. I've had bad landlords in the past, and it's just not worth the hassle.

I think it's obvious you need to stop procrastinating, and get a dog, already! ;)

I would love to have a dog. But I seriously don't need another means of procrastination in my life :P

haha back when i private msged you your reply came in my email account with your email address. So thats how I know you are S.D.! A bit stalkerish but oh well.

Done! :D

I've already been outed, by a couple 2013s! :)

There are clues on this very thread! ;)

haha back when i private msged you your reply came in my email account with your email address. So thats how I know you are S.D.! A bit stalkerish but oh well.

Haha, that's the last time I reply to an e-mail message from the forum; PMs from here on out. :)

I had my forum e-mail address fwd to my main (gmail) address, but it shouldn't have revealed the original sender...:confused:

^ kinda scary because I know someone at Mac Med right now (a year above you) with your initials, nemesis lol....And he's VERY close to me

...weird! ;)

WTH. I didn't find anybody with those initials.

Oh, that's because I have the 'cloak of invisibility' on Facebook! :P

Hi friends,

I have been MIA as I´m in rural Guatemala (with limited internet access) and will be in rural Southern Mexico studying indigenous health systems and Spanish for the rest of the summer.... but I accepted MAC and I am really excited to meet everyone come Sept!

Is yours similar? :confused:

Your application is currently on hold and cannot be processed any further.

Your school is in the process of providing OSAP with information on their programs and tuition, fee and book costs. This information is needed before OSAP can calculate your funding. Please check back later.

Most schools will have provided the ministry with their program and cost information by mid June. Please check back later. You may wish to contact your school for further details.

Your school is in the process of providing OSAP with information on their programs and tuition, fee and book costs. This information is needed before OSAP can calculate your funding. Please check back later.

Most schools will have provided the ministry with their program and cost information by mid June. Please check back later. You may wish to contact your school for further details.

I just submitted yesterday...wouldn't know. Is this abnormal? This is actually the first time I've qualified for OSAP.

OSAP vet here :P

This is a totally normal part of the assessment. It means your application has been received and this is the message you will see until they do the individual look at your finances. Right now they are just waiting on info from MacMed - and understandably they are probably very busy right now! Just make sure you send in your declaration/signature pages everyone.

I'm wondering how full the class is... How many people in the group are NOT in the Class of 2013?

Aside from the eight Admins/Officers, I'd think the remainder are members are from the Class of 2013 (since the 2012s were removed from the Group).

I believe the entering class is comprised of 203 students of which 28 are at the WRC/NRC each, and the remaining 147 at the Hamilton Campus.

If that seems like a low number of Facebook members (currently 143 members), it may be explained by some of the Regional Campus students only joining the NRC and WRC Facebook groups, but who knows. :confused:

OSAP vet here :P

This is a totally normal part of the assessment. It means your application has been received and this is the message you will see until they do the individual look at your finances. Right now they are just waiting on info from MacMed - and understandably they are probably very busy right now! Just make sure you send in your declaration/signature pages everyone.

Haha, great, good to know! :)

I mailed the Consents, Instruction, Declarations and Signature form to the Financial Aid Office @ Mac; however, I didn't bother mailing the Supporting Documentations form since it was 'optional'. :)

Archived