Premed 101 Forums

McMaster MD Program: Class of 2013!

K guys, soooo I decided to live really close to campus instead of commuting. Where can I find a non-ghetto place thats hopefully walkable to campus and not shared? And has safe parking for my car. :D

Good luck with this! :P

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats class of 2013 for being accepted to MAC med school. I am an alumni and finished my residency training in Hamilton last year. I am looking to sell my 1-bedroom apt, which is located directly across from the university hospital. I lived there for 3 yrs of med school and 5 yrs of residency and enjoyed it very much. It is fully renovated and almost completely furnished. Pls. email me ASAP at jackiechu@hotmail.com if you are interested.

...nemesis, we'll be crashing at your place after the bar

Who needs a best friend, when you have a Hess friend? ;)

Hey nemesis - Just to make you aware in case you weren't, Hess is a street full of bars and clubs. Fun to go to, but I'm not sure how comfortable it will be to live there. I've never known anyone who lived there so I don't know but maybe you can ask some existing tenants if they ever have noise or drunken student issues.

Oh, I'm aware of Hess Village in all its glory! :D

However, my place is quiet...eerily quiet, it's quite the paradox!

Have you figured out where you'll be livin'?

K guys, soooo I decided to live really close to campus instead of commuting. Where can I find a non-ghetto place thats hopefully walkable to campus and not shared? And has safe parking for my car.

Good move, I would have told you otherwise if you decided to commute from 'sauga!

Many of the (downtown) Hamilton apartments are owned by Effort Trust; The other real estate company I ran into was the CLV Group. Both of these companies also cross post on Kijiji. You can start by checking out those two sources.

Secure parking in (downtown) Hamilton typically translates into obtaining underground or garage parking (you might also be able to save some money on your insurance if you avoid ground-level parking).

Good luck, D! :)

I'll be a few blocks north!

Nice! :cool:

• 2 weeks later...
People are posting that they received a CMAJ journal/letter. Is this something we had to sign up for?

(Also I haven't received my orientation package so if it is a part of that it would explain everything).

Nope. Not something we had to sign up for, and not included in the orientation package. I think the poster who wrote about getting their first CMAJ copy had ordered it him/herself, out of interest.

People are posting that they received a CMAJ journal/letter. Is this something we had to sign up for?

Yes, to receive your bi-weekly CMAJ subscription, you need to join the CMA/OMA, which costs $22 annually. ;)

...I think the poster who wrote about getting their first CMAJ copy had ordered it him/herself, out of interest.

Yeah, I posted that msg a while back, but I accidentally deleted/replaced that post with the one re: the orientation package. :)

I have my LOC with MD financial and they included a OMA/CMA membership. So I'm guessing thats why myself and others have gotten CMAJ and the letter form CMA and other people havent (or they could have signed up for interest-sake without a LOC)

Yup, I also opted to go with MD Financial and in order to use their services, you must have a membership with the CMA/OMA. :cool:

I'm looking to get a new cell phone and plan; up until now, I've been on a prepaid cell.

Which provider are you guys with: Rogers, Bell, Telus?

I was also considering Virgin Mobile...does anyone have any experience with this provider?

Are there any other providers that I'm not considering?

I'm looking to get my new phone and plan ASAP!

Any input will be appreciated, cheers! :)

I'm looking to get a new cell phone and plan; up until now, I've been on a prepaid cell.

Which provider are you guys with: Rogers, Bell, Telus?

I was also considering Virgin Mobile...does anyone have any experience with this provider?

Are there any other providers that I'm not considering?

I'm looking to get my new phone and plan ASAP!

Any input will be appreciated, cheers! :)

What will you be using your phone for? Just talking, texting, email, data? This will help determine what kind of plan you should look for.

I use my cell only as my home phone so I need cheap long distance. For me, it made sense to go with a Canada wide my5 plan. This way I can call home and text my close friends all I want and not worry about minutes. I'm with Rogers and am very pleased with their coverage on campus. I've never had a dropped call and have reception everywhere. My friend has telus and was always searching for a signal (but maybe it was an issue with his phone?). Rogers is notoriously expensive though...

I use my cell only as my home phone so I need cheap long distance. For me, it made sense to go with a Canada wide my5 plan. This way I can call home and text my close friends all I want and not worry about minutes. I'm with Rogers and am very pleased with their coverage on campus. I've never had a dropped call and have reception everywhere. My friend has telus and was always searching for a signal (but maybe it was an issue with his phone?). Rogers is notoriously expensive though...

Thanks for the reply. I think I've narrowed it down to Rogers and Virgin. I'll be getting a smartphone, I just haven't figured out exactly which one, yet. :)

:( Anyone else not receive their packages yet?

I'd contact Wendy Edge if you haven't received your orientation package by tomorrow evening. :)

Archived