Premed 101 Forums

Did York end up going through with its Med School plans?

nosuperman

Interesting:

http://www.yorku.ca/gro/Medical%20Post%20article%20on%20York.pdf

According to that document, it said it should have heard from the gov't by now (but they obviously did not, or got rejected and are keeping it hush)

http://www.yorku.ca/yfile/archive/index.asp?Article=12351

This one says the medical school application process will take a while

---

Coming from York, I must say that York has to do A LOT of things before it can even consider creating a medical school:

-get a real anatomy lab with real cadavers (not cats)

-they will probably have to create another York campus just for the medical school and join it to a hospital near by (one in the Vaughn area I suspect, since every Toronto hospital/rehab centre in Toronto is affiliated with U of T)

-attract faculty - I know that one of the best ortho surgeons in Canada is willing to do some stuff with York, and a couple of doctors at the UHN are professors at York, so this shouldn't be too bad as long as they keep attracting real good staff

-attract some basic scientists - they need to really attract some great basic scientists to work with the medical faculty to establish some strong research

It will take a long time

FYI: York does have a great team of researchers and scientists!. Many professors at York have published in high impact journals and a lot of my York colleagues have managed to get into other prestigious graduate programs and post docs after having graduated from York. York is continuing to grow and develop its research. Yes, york may not have as much funding to support its research when compared to UofT or Mac but this does not mean that york does not have many talented and driven researchers.

I had an opportunity to have a discussion with the Dean of the faculty of health who was quite optimistic that York (on a good case scenario) will establish a medical school by 2014/2015. Dr. Skinner mentioned that the purpose of the school would be to increase the number of physicians in the York region area, which suffers from a shortage of doctors. Therefore, the school may potentially select students who live in the York region.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Ontario government, which would ultimately be footing the bill for a new medical school*, is going to be running a $20 *billion* dollar deficit this fiscal year, and is projecting deficit spending for the next 7 or 8 years (which likely means 10 years or more). Having recently opened a new medical school and expanded class sizes at the other medical schools in the province, I can't see that another medical school would be a government priority any time soon.

pb

* unless a US--style, private medical school were to open, but that likely won't fly for a whole bunch of reasons

• 11 months later...

This may just be some kind of stupid rumor so don't take my word for it, but my friend's aunt is one of the York Uni admin/budget committee members or something like that, and according to my friend they signed off all the papers and approved the medical school.

As much as I'd like to believe that, it's probably not true.

It's important to remember it's not just the money to run the med school.

If you're going to open a medical school that has, say, 50 med students, then you need to come up with the money to create 50 residency spots for them to match to.

It's a big chunk of change for the province to scrape together (say somewhere in the neighbourhood of $15 million for 50 residency spots).

It's important to remember it's not just the money to run the med school.

If you're going to open a medical school that has, say, 50 med students, then you need to come up with the money to create 50 residency spots for them to match to.

It's a big chunk of change for the province to scrape together (say somewhere in the neighbourhood of $15 million for 50 residency spots).

thats not a prob... york has hospitals

Creating new residency spots is more than just about the cash too. I have heard that there is a ton of variability in these satellite med school campuses because many docs at the associated hospitals chose not to practice in academic centres for various reasons but are now stuck with residents, fellows and clerks. So one thing york will need will be buy-in from the attendings if they are going to create residency spots where there weren't any before.

That being said, when I toured one of the satellite centres in Ontario this year the attendings were super excited to get into teaching (ie pimping) again. So I am sure creating an academic centre out of a community hospital can vary widely in terms of ease.

2 years ago they got some cash (50-70 million) for a new life sciences building. Its opening this year I believe. also, just now york got more cash (another 50 million) for an engineering school..

Id say, next flow of cash will go to osgood or highly likely a med school.

York isn't building a med school, they previously proposed to build one but from what I read, it got rejected sadly. The new building that's being build at york is a new Life Science building, if anyone tells you otherwise laugh at them in your head.

Please correct me if i'm wrong.

York isn't building a med school, they previously proposed to build one but from what I read, it got rejected sadly. The new building that's being build at york is a new Life Science building, if anyone tells you otherwise laugh at them in your head.

Please correct me if i'm wrong.

From what I hear from my faculty, they tried but it's very unlikely to happen in the next couple of years. Shame really.

Do we? I thought it was just Southlake. I feel like every hospital in the GTA is affiliated with U of T.

I don't. Would prefer that the funding went towards opening more spots at Western, NOSM, Queens, or any other location where they really need more drs.

Preference for GTA students! Now that would be a first :D

Isn't Harvey Skinner in psych though? I'm not sure what he would have to do with establishing a med school.

yes, Dean Skinner has a PhD in psych, but he is the dean of the Faculty of health, therefore he quite in the know about plans for medical school....And besides the initiative for a medical school at York came from the president Shoukri, who I believe had some connection to another medical school in Ontario prior to becoming York's president, not from Dr. Skinner.

The preference for York region student is a statement directly voiced by Dr. Skinner...But this was back in the spring of last year, when he stated that as of then, plans for med school are still ongoing, it all has to do with the funding, an aspect that has been compromised due to the strike in 2009.

I don't think that building the health science building has anything to do with the medical school......I doubt they used the money allocated for medical school to build the health science building, since the health science building was a neccesary step in expanding their science research faculty which lacks adequate lab space at the moment. Plus, I believe that back when I had the conversation with Dr. Skinner, the health science building was begining to be built (though I'm not 100% sure about that), but if that's the case, and the building was to meant to be built instead of the medical school then there would be no point to still be discussing medical school plans on Dean Skinner's part...

I don't want to get into what I think of York, but I really can't see them getting a med school. Its a terrible location with very few nearby hospitals, and the atmosphere on campus is...not nice. I think Ryerson is more likely to get a med school than York tbh.

This is kind of unrelated, but why do you keep referring to harvey skinner as dr? He's not an MD. I call people with phd's professor, or by their first name. Never doctor.

If someome has a doctorate and unless otherwise stipulated i think it respectful to call them Dr. They've worked hard to earn that title and not referring to them as such (unless asked otherwise) is disrespectful in my opinion.

I don't want to get into what I think of York, but I really can't see them getting a med school. Its a terrible location with very few nearby hospitals, and the atmosphere on campus is...not nice. I think Ryerson is more likely to get a med school than York tbh.

This is kind of unrelated, but why do you keep referring to harvey skinner as dr? He's not an MD. I call people with phd's professor, or by their first name. Never doctor.

If you worked closely with individuals who have a PhD, you might be able to better relate to it:) Usually a professor can be anyone who teaches in a university even if they do not have a PhD/MD, (and yes there are some professors who teach at universities who only have an MSc. but these are usually exceptional lecturers) Therefore, refering to someone who has PhD as a doctor is appropriate and respcetul, since they do have a doctorate....

By the way, MDs are not the only ones who have a "doctor" degree:

MD-medical doctor

PhD= doctor of philosophy

With respect to calling PhDs doctor.. I've never met any that preferred to be called doctor, but I'm sure they exist, and they would be supported because they do have the degree. Some MDs don't go by doctor either.. the ones I know all introduced themselves with their name without the dr title. I got a phone call from my ortho last summer after surgery and he identified himself without the title once again.

Archived