Premed 101 Forums

To my fellow pre-med haters.

Doc2Law

Well, I've seen enough anesthesiologists fiddling with their iPhone/laptop/newspaper or - once - watching streaming video of the Tour de France on the OR computer that time for posting during the day wouldn't be all that surprising. But realistically I'm a clerk on peds and I really don't have much time to post here.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These boards were such a positive place to be in 2008 and early 2009 when I first joined. Since then, it's pretty embarrassing to see how the forums have degenerated into mass-polling, inconsequential 3 word-reply-emoticon-spam, racial and religious stereotyping, and drama. I stepped away from visiting pm101 for quite a few months because of this and only very recently returned just to find it's even worse.

I think many, potentially, great contributors will refrain from adding to the community here if things continue in this way. Perhaps those of you contributing to the negativity would be better off visiting univforums... because that's all pm101 is turning into at this point.

Without getting the cyber police to backtrace our IP's we really can't tell who anyone is anyhow. Though I believe rmorelan spends his days happily zipping around on that scooter, I can't help but question why a frog wouldn't just hop around. Some frogs can jump many times their own body length, they can climb trees and swim really well too.

It's the books - you can see them on the back of the scooter. The carrying capacity of frogs is relatively low :)

Interesting thread....pathetic perhaps?

You can absolutely cross reference a list of graduating students from McGill LLB with 1993 med. In addition...if doc2law is in his 10th year of practise...........1993 med...would he/she not have finished residency in 1998? Anaesthesia is a 5 year residency I believe? Fellowship of 2 years in there? I imagine if that was the case he/she would be bragging? Doesn't quite add up......

Wow. Some of you people need a hobby...I worry about your EC's. :eek:

Someone says they are something, unless there is something extremely obvious about it, then they are that something. Innocent until proven guilty, perhaps?

Not to mention, that if they are lying...the **** will hit the fan. No worries.

daw2law, don't even bother with premeds if they hate on you. why not put your focus down in the residency forums where your advice would more applicable and appreciated? also, the med and residency forums in studentdoctor.net are pretty entertaining and [relatively] respectful.

i like most of your posts.

daw2law, don't even bother with premeds if they hate on you. why not put your focus down in the residency forums where your advice would more applicable and appreciated? also, the med and residency forums in studentdoctor.net are pretty entertaining and [relatively] respectful.

i like most of your posts.

Dude, are you kidding me? When asked about acupuncture from an 'anesthesiologist's point of view', he pasted an excerpt from the SECOND result you get when you google 'acupuncture anesthesia'. (Google --> Anesthesia Acupuncture)

In addition to this, the way he speaks and what the content of his posts is nowhere close to the level of maturity and understanding a veteran anesthesiologist would have.

To conclude, what are the chances that an anesthesiologist randomly comes along 10 years after he's a doctor (AND lawyer) to a pre-med forum and starts posting. :rolleyes: Have you read his first few posts?...And then every single post after his first few posts? It's laughable to say he is what he claims to be.

I don't know why I care to corroborate that he's some nut posing to be an anesthesiologist/lawyer combo. I guess it's because I don't want any sincere pre-meds taking what he says seriously. (His first post is about why NOT to be a doctor?.. pshh, woww.. should've known from there..)

And if he IS actually an anesthesiologist/lawyer combo, then the quality of his thoughts and posts are even more shocking.. and he still shouldn't be taken seriously by sincere undergrad/premed students.

Dude, are you kidding me? When asked about acupuncture from an 'anesthesiologist's point of view', he pasted an excerpt from the SECOND result you get when you google 'acupuncture anesthesia'. (Google --> Anesthesia Acupuncture)

In addition to this, the way he speaks and what the content of his posts is nowhere close to the level of maturity and understanding a veteran anesthesiologist would have.

To conclude, what are the chances that an anesthesiologist randomly comes along 10 years after he's a doctor (AND lawyer) to a pre-med forum and starts posting. :rolleyes: Have you read his first few posts?...And then every single post after his first few posts? It's laughable to say he is what he claims to be.

I don't know why I care to corroborate that he's some nut posing to be an anesthesiologist/lawyer combo. I guess it's because I don't want any sincere pre-meds taking what he says seriously. (His first post is about why NOT to be a doctor?.. pshh, woww.. should've known from there..)

And if he IS actually an anesthesiologist/lawyer combo, then the quality of his thoughts and posts are even more shocking.. and he still shouldn't be taken seriously by sincere undergrad/premed students.

This has been the internets problem since it was created. Everyone has a certain level of anonymity, should they choose to keep it.

I'm not really amused by this thread. Its dumb humor. Like watching an episode of Everybody Loves Raymond. But I made interesting observations:

1) Premeds idolize docs. How could a doc possibly act so immature on a forum? Ummmm....when did flawless morals/professionalism/manners/etc. become necessary to be a doc? I mean sure they're nice in the fantasy world where everything is just perfect. But not in the real world. Else I should just pull myself out of med school.

2) People's need to be right on the internet. Its stronger than I expected...is your life significantly improved by being proven right?

3) Type A personalities dominate p101 nowadays. This would be a good time to mention the general med class has waay more chilled out people than type A people. Maybe the premeds should change attitudes to improve their chances. :P

4) p101 has become pretty useless. Without mods this forum has gone to sh*t.

Stop saying this forum has gone to sh*t or this forum is a wreck or etc.

There's as many people as before getting help off this forum right now. There's plenty of useful threads, good answers and valuable information being passed along.

This forum is not some past glorious empire that is now completely demolished because you didn't agree with or disliked a few threads in the past months.

hmm.. can't find that thread. got a link?

That's a post from medschoolhell.com

I love that guy's site, he provides a more realistic outlook on medicine as a JOB, although he is overly cynical at times.

To me, a lot of clinical medicine blows, and I knew it would when I started med school, there's only 2-3 specialties I know I would love (because I had previous work experience in them prior to med school), and to me, medical school's just a means to the ends of matching to the program I want. I have no real interest in scutting around the hospital for 18 hours a day with 3 minutes of contact per patient on rounds and no control over my work environment or lifestyle; the thrill of cutting someone open doesn't really excite me; rather it's more the patient contact, impact, communication, ability to make a difference and complex theoretical non-linear approach to certain specialties that attracted me to med school.

I was also attracted to the 30 hour work week and good pay, I won't lie...

I'm not trying to take away from people who go into medicine for different reasons, as they obviously are fulfilled by their work through different means than I would be, or have different values than I do, but I think that many pre-meds vision of clinical medicine is really foggy and overly-idealistic.

I think some of the naive pre-meds have been drinking a bit too much of the Hatorade lately. I’ve seen numerous rude comments pop up referencing me not being an Anesthesiologist.Here are my responses:

You’re shi ttting your pants

In reality you think that medicine is rainbows and butterflies, but you’re scared that I may just be right. After all, I’ve gone through medical school and you haven’t. This little tidbit of information makes your acceptance look a lot less appealing.

You think you know it all

That 3.8 GPA and medical mission trip in Africa has instilled in your mind that you know all. Therefore anyone that says anything negative about medicine is a dumbass and doesn’t know sh it.

You’re young

Most of you are in your late teens or early twenties, and have gone from high school to college and then hopefully straight to medical school. You’ve never worked a real “job” in your life. Just wait until you’re working from 7am-7pm 5-6 days a week dealing with all that medicine has to give. Until then, shut the fu ck up.

Thinking back, I do remember what it’s like to be a pre-med. I didn’t know sh it and neither do you.

*This is not my writing, it's just a Resident's response to haters he got himself in other boards that i remastered a bit to make it fit here, it's not a copyright violation so keep your immaturity to yourself.*

Oh, to those who actually think that Doctors never swear and are always polite with others, wait until you begin Residency, you'll start hating against Surgeons, i'll explain it to you if you let me do it.

One last point, i know some of my posts seemed a bit dumb on the past threads, i apologize for the lack of details my posts inspired, this is what happens when you have a bad day and you are tired as hell, you can't think like a normal person until you relaxed...

I'll try my best to be a better example from now on and to you haters, how about you go study ? That may increase your chances drastically.

people actually believed that guy (or girl who knows) for what they say they are? lol.

Come on, an anesthesiologist 10 years out of practice suddenly decides to join a premed forum and tells potential applicants to dont go into medicine?

Also, the person's in his late 40s and uses words like troll and hater?

Guys, can't you just give Doc the benefit of doubt? Seriously, why the hell do you all absolutely need to prove that this person is a troll?

Because they have a constant need for self and peer approval. Even from strangers on the internet. Else they feel inferior and unworthy.

That's a post from medschoolhell.com

I love that guy's site, he provides a more realistic outlook on medicine as a JOB, although he is overly cynical at times.

I think he's a jerk, not because he decided to leave medicine entirely but because the attitude he seems to display in most of his posts is grossly unprofessional. Not suited to medicine at all. I do think that Doc2Law's evident plagiarizing of random websites and blogs is a clear enough sign of trolldom as we're going to get.

To me, a lot of clinical medicine blows, and I knew it would when I started med school, there's only 2-3 specialties I know I would love (because I had previous work experience in them prior to med school), and to me, medical school's just a means to the ends of matching to the program I want. I have no real interest in scutting around the hospital for 18 hours a day with 3 minutes of contact per patient on rounds and no control over my work environment or lifestyle; the thrill of cutting someone open doesn't really excite me; rather it's more the patient contact, impact, communication, ability to make a difference and complex theoretical non-linear approach to certain specialties that attracted me to med school.

I was also attracted to the 30 hour work week and good pay, I won't lie...

I don't know when you'd ever "scut" around the hospital for 18 hours a day with such minimal patient contact. You're going to do, say, admission histories and physicals in 3 minutes? Give me a break. Call aside, I've had a few days so far which have clocked in around 10 or 11 hours, but I'm rapidly learning how to write notes and even do dictations a lot more efficiently. Going home by handover is largely a function of getting necessary work done with a modicum of efficiency. If there's one major issue with clerkship so far, it's finding time enough to read around patients between all the other stuff you have to do. The bottom line, though, is that you need to learn by doing all this stuff, and I see no reason why you think trainees ought to have control over their "work environment".

I can't say "lifestyle" has been an issue at all. I was still able to go home for a weekend and do Run for the Cure. As an aside, though, anyone who thinks that peds offers a "chill" lifestyle as a rotation has probably never experienced anything but clinics.

I'm not trying to take away from people who go into medicine for different reasons, as they obviously are fulfilled by their work through different means than I would be, or have different values than I do, but I think that many pre-meds vision of clinical medicine is really foggy and overly-idealistic.

Fair enough, but I don't know why think you're going to be able to get a job with a 30 hour work week and "good pay". I think that's a ridiculous sense of entitlement. That's not to say clinical medicine is all sunshine and flowers (certainly not if I were to get into some of the stuff that went on today on the peds floor), but it reflects all the diversity of society - and the good and bad that goes with it.

I think he's a jerk, not because he decided to leave medicine entirely but because the attitude he seems to display in most of his posts is grossly unprofessional. Not suited to medicine at all. I do think that Doc2Law's evident plagiarizing of random websites and blogs is a clear enough sign of trolldom as we're going to get.

I think you should read again, i added the source in the middle of the post.

Oh and the blog original poster is not "a jerk" or "unprofessional", he's being realistic, which is something roughly 60% of actual Medical Students on these boards don't have as a quality.

You think this guy is a jerk ? Wait until Residency begins or when you start competing for Fellowship spots, you'll love it ;)

Archived