Premed 101 Forums

The official countdown to May 13th 2011

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't put into words how crazy I am going over this. I have worked so hard for this (like pretty much all of you) and so badly want to know what I am going to be doing next year and where I will be (what school/province).

I have a back up plan in case I don't get in anywhere (finish UG) but I am so ready to start a new life (with my new wife (soon)) in a new place at a new schools learning new things (that actually matter and are interesting) and start the long road to becoming a doctor. I have only been in UG for 3 years but I am so sick of my school and taking classes just to get a letter on my transcript not because the knowledge gained from said classes will ever be applicable in the future. Anyways Pixie I hope you find some way to cope with the wait... tell me if you figure out a way.. all the best!! :)

Congrats on the upcoming wedding Larrivee!

The wait is frustrating for me cause I am on a mature side and getting rejected would mean another YEAR....and the years start to matter once you hit 24-25. Additionally, I only applied in Calgary cause I cant uproot my husband from his career here, so UofC is my only chance this year.

And yeah I know not getting into med school is not the end of the world and is nothing compared to what some people go through but... it would be freak'n awesome to start studying what you are passionate about 3 months form now.

I should stock up on some valerian root tea!:P

Sorry for my rant.

awww Pixie, don't feel that way about age. I am the same way, on the 'other side' of the age equation and sometimes I worry that I won't make it in before I am too old to make it through school!

I am completely distracted until April 29 (last day of practicum!!!). And then, I shall sleep away a couple days, hopefully will see the Pixies concert, and then I will just CHILL OUT until May 13. I am waiting to hear about a few other things apart from U of C, so I shall be paying way too much attention to my inbox.

btw, love the avatar and I hope you got to see them in concert. I have once and as I mentioned above, hopefully again!

the big day will be here before we know it, guys! sit tight and enjoy the ride!:D

The wait is frustrating for me cause I am on a mature side and getting rejected would mean another YEAR....and the years start to matter once you hit 24-25. Additionally, I only applied in Calgary cause I cant uproot my husband from his career here, so UofC is my only chance this year.

Try bein' 29, Pix :) If I stick with my original plan of research I can look forward to being a self-sufficient income provider at age... 45 or so.

The Wait has actually really screwed with my daily life. It's taken me weeks longer than expected to finish my thesis edits because I am so distracted, and I've become involved in politics just to kill time and keep my mind going. I hate politics! What is going on!?

awww Pixie, don't feel that way about age. I am the same way, on the 'other side' of the age equation and sometimes I worry that I won't make it in before I am too old to make it through school!

I am completely distracted until April 29 (last day of practicum!!!). And then, I shall sleep away a couple days, hopefully will see the Pixies concert, and then I will just CHILL OUT until May 13. I am waiting to hear about a few other things apart from U of C, so I shall be paying way too much attention to my inbox.

btw, love the avatar and I hope you got to see them in concert. I have once and as I mentioned above, hopefully again!

the big day will be here before we know it, guys! sit tight and enjoy the ride!:D

Thanks LostLamb! I hope you make it to the concert!!! I was very lucky to get the tickets right when they went on sale - apparently they were all sold out in the first minute. PM me if you end up going maybe we can meet up before it. :D

Erk, all the best to you man. I hope you get in:) I hope we all do!!!!

Anyways:

21 days left

From the blog:

Apr 7, 2011 at 2:04 pm

Hi Dr. Walker,

I’m not sure how long ago this happened, but I noticed on my student center for the University of Calgary (under the admissions section) that the \Medical Application\ was complete. As I believe that this just showed up recently, does this mean that tentative decisions have been made?

Dr Ian Walker

Apr 8, 2011 at 8:45 am

God only knows how things work with Peoplesoft and the Student Centre through the myUofC web portal. I have no idea what that means, but no it doesn’t mean that tentative decisions have been made. We don’t have our essay scores all in yet. Sorry about that.

Try bein' 29, Pix :) If I stick with my original plan of research I can look forward to being a self-sufficient income provider at age... 45 or so.

The Wait has actually really screwed with my daily life. It's taken me weeks longer than expected to finish my thesis edits because I am so distracted, and I've become involved in politics just to kill time and keep my mind going. I hate politics! What is going on!?

Well there are advantages to being 29 right? I'm sure you got so much stuff to put on your EC list, you had to take some of it out. But I really do hope you get in Erk, show the youngsters 29 is the new 20.

BTW, what happened to your friends:rolleyes:

Well there are advantages to being 29 right? I'm sure you got so much stuff to put on your EC list, you had to take some of it out. But I really do hope you get in Erk, show the youngsters 29 is the new 20.

BTW, what happened to your friends:rolleyes:

I do have a lot of stuff in my EC list, including a few years I taught English in Japan, in the city of Natori which was right in the path of the tsunami... so that's what happened to my friends. Thankfully most of them are generally all right, as much as can be expected.

Yeah I am excited about showin you kids how great it is to be a geezer. Give you somethin' to look forward to.

Hey Pixie and Erk

i was browsing the uc threads and noticed this one.

i feel the "pain" regarding age. I myself am 30 and have applied multiple time only to ubc as I do not want to uproot my wife and 2 kids. If i am lucky to get in, I will be mid thirties by the time a graduate and then there is residency!

For me, I feel ok with it because I will be able to support my family with LOC during school and then in residency with the wage they pay. what really gets me is that I am no longer passionate about my current job as my true goals and dreams are for medicine and yet it has been such a long + convoluted road for me (multiple applications, rejections and waitlist).

goodluck to all and remember, once you get in you will almost certainly forget the frustration of the wait or in some cases the multiple applications, etc...

Hey Pixie and Erk

i feel the "pain" regarding age. I myself am 30 and have applied multiple time only to ubc as I do not want to uproot my wife and 2 kids. If i am lucky to get in, I will be mid thirties by the time a graduate and then there is residency!

For me, I feel ok with it because I will be able to support my family with LOC during school and then in residency with the wage they pay. what really gets me is that I am no longer passionate about my current job as my true goals and dreams are for medicine and yet it has been such a long + convoluted road for me (multiple applications, rejections and waitlist).

goodluck to all and remember, once you get in you will almost certainly forget the frustration of the wait or in some cases the multiple applications, etc...

Wow, except for kids you just pretty much described my situation.

Hey Pixie and Erk

Wow, except for kids you just pretty much described my situation.

i'd have to say that i feel the same way... this is my first year of applying, but i've been building up to it since the day i started undergrad. the road has been a windy one, but i finally put the application in this year.

i'm 26 this year, getting married and feel the exact same way about the job and life in general.

let's hope we get some good news this year boys! and girls too!

only about 3 weeks to go for western canada.

My 27 year old husband is completely freaking out, and so am I. UofA didn't even invite him for an interview (despite over 2 years of full time volunteer work they ranked him abysmally on his ECs). So UofC is his only chance this year (and it's where he really wants to get in). I wouldn't mind so much having to go through another application cycle with him if it weren't for the financial stress. We've got a good long term plan for once he's in and has a LOC to pay them off quickly when school is done. But in the mean time we're struggling a bit to make ends meet. I didn't finish school for a number of reasons, so I can't really bring home much in the bacon department, certainly not enough to make it worth leaving our daughter with a sitter every day. And we'd like to have another baby next year or the year following. But, ugh, life is hard sometimes, ya know? :P

Good luck to everybody who's totally freaking out. I know how stressed I am, being dependent on husband's success in this, but I can only imagine how it must feel to actually be the one applying.

Does anyone know if, based on previous years, will we be able to tell if it is an acceptance/rejection/waitlist based on the email subject line or the time of day that it arrives? I have to work all day on the 13th and I figure if I check in the am and I don't get in I'll be way to bummed out to work. I don't think I can actually not check my email though (will need to for said work), so will the subject line say if we got in, or will we have to actually open it? And in previous years have acceptances come out in the am, then rejections, or all at once?

Last year, the subject line was: "University of Calgary Faculty of Medicine". How anticlimactic!

However, the first line was: "Congratulations! I am very pleased to inform you that the admissions committee wishes to offer you acceptance into the Class of 2013."

Good luck everyone!

Archived