Premed 101 Forums

The official countdown to May 13th 2011

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You rock my world. Can you believe that my prof assigned a formal lab due the week after finals finished?? I mean come on, I just started work this week plus a zillion and a half wedding things to do, how am I supposed to do this thing. So far on page 13.... ughh I hate formal labs I guess it'll keep my mind of the last few days before schools start revealing to me my future, or lack thereof.

Aren't the course grades supposed to be in this week? Your prof is crazy!:P

You rock my world. Can you believe that my prof assigned a formal lab due the week after finals finished?? I mean come on, I just started work this week plus a zillion and a half wedding things to do, how am I supposed to do this thing. So far on page 13.... ughh I hate formal labs I guess it'll keep my mind of the last few days before schools start revealing to me my future, or lack thereof.

That is crazy! One of the profs I was TAing for this semester (physics for life science) made an assignment due the day before the final and another one due a week after the final. Isn't there supposed to be at least an unwritten rule that once classes are over, you don't have any more stuff due?

Wasn't that the AAMC report? Don't they have waitlist movement info?

:S

http://www.afmc.ca/pdf/2011AdBk.pdf

Here's the link for the doc I think you're talking about, and yes, it does report typical waitlist movement. It does not distinguish between OOP and IP though, as most schools do not have seperate waitlists for OOP and IP.

In an attempt to calm my mind (which ironically only increases my anxiety by refocusing my attention on May 13 :)), I've made these calculations:

648 total interviewees

170 total positions (>1/4)

120 average waitlist movement

=290 total offers

so... approximately 45% of interviewees will recieve an offer.

For interest sake, the ualberta numbers are comparable: >1/3 positions to interviewees and ~48% interviewees to recieve an offer.

http://www.afmc.ca/pdf/2011AdBk.pdf

Here's the link for the doc I think you're talking about, and yes, it does report typical waitlist movement. It does not distinguish between OOP and IP though, as most schools do not have seperate waitlists for OOP and IP.

In an attempt to calm my mind (which ironically only increases my anxiety by refocusing my attention on May 13 :)), I've made these calculations:

648 total interviewees

170 total positions (>1/4)

120 average waitlist movement

=290 total offers

so... approximately 45% of interviewees will recieve an offer.

For interest sake, the ualberta numbers are comparable: >1/3 positions to interviewees and ~48% interviewees to recieve an offer.

This is some big waitlist movement. Basically, the majority of any given class at UofC or UofA were waitlisted before they were accepted.

How stressful. You can sit on a waitlist until the day before classes start - that's like 10 more weeks after the May 13th... I am already noticing changes in my body due to all the stress in anticipation of May13th. If I am lucky enough to even get waitlisted and even more lucky to be the last one to get in... I will be a totally different person on July 28th.:P

BTW

9 days and 12 hours before the sleepless night

the milk I bought is going to expire on May 13th. WHAT DOES THIS MEAN!?!!?

It means you need to drink the milk before May 13th.

Of course, you may want to consider drinking many other things besides milk on the 13th, depending on the circumstances.

1 Aren't the course grades supposed to be in this week? 2 Your prof is crazy!:P

3 That is crazy! 4 One of the profs I was TAing for this semester (physics for life science) made an assignment due the day before the final and another one due a week after the final. 5 Isn't there supposed to be at least an unwritten rule that once classes are over, you don't have any more stuff due?

1 Uhh Yeah! I sure hope that I have to send transcripts out pretty soon and if my grades aren't in I'm gunna be choked

2 Yes, yes he is. He is also very smart... in other ways though.. not teaching!

3 Thank you, I appreciate that others realize this is crazy.

4 Assignment before the final is somewhat normal, I've had that before and not minded it because it forces you to keep up and dig into the material that will be on your final, but after the final?? Come on profs, play nice.

5 I know that this is an unwritten rule, and I motion that it become a written rule!

I am le tired, and this lab makes very close to zero sense.

plus side in a couple days (ottawa) and 10 days (westerns) this sheeeite may not matter at all anymore :).... or it may really matter a lot, but let's keep our thoughts lofty!

Hopefully the news tomorrow makes me less anxious about the 13th. And I just realized that this countdown is at single digits. :eek:

What schools are sending out emails tomorrow? All the best to all of you anxiously waiting!!!

the milk I bought is going to expire on May 13th. WHAT DOES THIS MEAN!?!!?

Mine too!

8 days and 14 hours until mine and NewfieMike's milk expires

[Lucerne 0% fat btw]

8 days and 14 hours until mine and NewfieMike's milk expires

[Lucerne 0% fat btw]

Ewwwwww

Queens releases tommorow

I have to side with Para D on this one... Skim or 0% fat milk tastes like milked up water... as opposed to watered down milk.

I grew up on 2%, that stuff is amazing. Now I drink Organic Soy Milk or Almond Milk because heaven forbid I harm an animal...

Oh, better apologize in advance for getting slightly off topic- wouldn't want anybody to think I'm being a troll.

Good luck with the countdown gang! Less than 9 days.

I have to side with Para D on this one... Skim or 0% fat milk tastes like milked up water... as opposed to watered down milk.

I grew up on 2%, that stuff is amazing. Now I drink Organic Soy Milk or Almond Milk because heaven forbid I harm an animal...

Oh, better apologize in advance for getting slightly off topic- wouldn't want anybody to think I'm being a troll.

Good luck with the countdown gang! Less than 9 days.

I agree with you guys that it does taste like milked up water - I only use it with my coffee (i don't like creamy coffee) and on my cereal. If I wanted a glass of milk - I would drink 2% or 1% (my fave).

Additionally, my husband bought it and he doesn't drink milk at all... so maybe its a hint???:(

Good luck everyone who applied to an Ontario school as well as UofC! Please accept any positions granted by Ontario schools! I hear Ontario is a wonderful place! It is so great! So if you get in in Ontario you won't want to be on any silly waitlist in Calgary, nope nope.

So I wish you all absolutely the best of luck there with every bit of luck I can give, wholeheartedly and altruistically, yeah.

Good luck everyone who applied to an Ontario school as well as UofC! Please accept any positions granted by Ontario schools! I hear Ontario is a wonderful place! It is so great! So if you get in in Ontario you won't want to be on any silly waitlist in Calgary, nope nope.

So I wish you all absolutely the best of luck there with every bit of luck I can give, wholeheartedly and altruistically, yeah.

Lol!

I'm waiting for a few emails tomorrow, but U of C is at the very top of my list, so the 13th is the day I'm really nervous for!!

I'd accept an offer at ANY Ontario school in a heartbeat. Alberta schools are okay, but Ontario schools are a different rank altogether, drastically affecting your salary as a doctor (or so I've been told

In Short: Good luck to all of you, and thank your lucky stars if you get into an Ontario school! :)

Lol!

I'm waiting for a few emails tomorrow, but U of C is at the very top of my list, so the 13th is the day I'm really nervous for!!

+1, gonna scare my neighbors and run around with a boom box blaring "I just got in" on the 13th if it all works out:D

I'd accept an offer at ANY Ontario school in a heartbeat. Alberta schools are okay, but Ontario schools are a different rank altogether, drastically affecting your salary as a doctor (or so I've been told

In Short: Good luck to all of you, and thank your lucky stars if you get into an Ontario school! :)

Everything Medguy says is true. Ontario-trained doctors get paid 402.7% more than Calgary trained doctors on average. SO: think of your future. Accept positions in Ontario-based schools.

Archived