4 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for one of the following options

• You were waitlisted at McMaster
    • You have accepted your offer of admission to McMaster
    • You have declined your offer of admission to McMaster
    • You have withdrawn yourself from the waitlist at McMaster
    • You have the sudden urge to participate

What a great message! Thanks!

Sorry to be a downer to everyone. I'm oscillating between moderately positive thoughts (the patience in waiting another year and the things I learn in grad school will make me a better doctor, etc) and tears, falling mostly on the sad end. But I guess for all of us (or maybe I should only speak for myself), there's at least something to be learned from this.

Hey Everyone,

Although I've already been accepted off the waitlist, I can't help but still frequent this forum, for all the reasons everyone else has mentioned. What a great atmosphere of support.

I just wanted to let you know a bit more of my story, hopefully this will help you keep faith in yourself!

I got accepted off the waitlist on May 24th...this was my THIRD year applying, first time getting interviews, and then to be put on the waitlist! Needless to say on May 5th I was feeling pretty down. I had already planned a celebration lunch for that day, and a dinner for the 7th. What did I do? I went anyway! I figured keeping a positive attitude was the only option I had, and after 3 years of applying I had gained LOTS of experience in patience and positivity.

I too knew that medicine was the only thing for me, so I spent the intervening years volunteering at several places and working a lame part time job. Thank goodness I could live at home for free ;). Some people thought I was crazy, others would support me to the end of the earth.

I guess my point is, do what feels right for you. And if you stick with it, IT WILL HAPPEN!!

I spent lots of time lurking on this forum before I made my first post and I am so grateful to all the regular posters.

Cheers :)

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey Everyone,

Although I've already been accepted off the waitlist, I can't help but still frequent this forum, for all the reasons everyone else has mentioned. What a great atmosphere of support.

I just wanted to let you know a bit more of my story, hopefully this will help you keep faith in yourself!

I got accepted off the waitlist on May 24th...this was my THIRD year applying, first time getting interviews, and then to be put on the waitlist! Needless to say on May 5th I was feeling pretty down. I had already planned a celebration lunch for that day, and a dinner for the 7th. What did I do? I went anyway! I figured keeping a positive attitude was the only option I had, and after 3 years of applying I had gained LOTS of experience in patience and positivity.

I too knew that medicine was the only thing for me, so I spent the intervening years volunteering at several places and working a lame part time job. Thank goodness I could live at home for free ;). Some people thought I was crazy, others would support me to the end of the earth.

I guess my point is, do what feels right for you. And if you stick with it, IT WILL HAPPEN!!

I spent lots of time lurking on this forum before I made my first post and I am so grateful to all the regular posters.

Cheers :)

Thanks for sharing

As this is my first year applying, your perserverene, tenacity, and positive attitude is inspiring.

I've always wanted to ask but was too timid to: when someone lists "3rd year applicant" in their stats, does this mean they applied during their 3rd year of undergrad or that this is their 3rd year applying to said school?

Finally, i just want to shout out to Lupe, who has put so much work and time into helping me understand this process (and my chances) better. Lupe, you're awesome and all your efforts are appreciated!

Yeah, I think that myth is more true for Ivy league schools in the US but maybe not anymore. :S

Anyways I also wanted to thank EVERYONE here, your posts definitely helped with the wait and the stats by Lupe made me more and more hopeful. I hope all of you get accepted and if not this year than the next. You will all make great MDs!!

Thanks for sharing

As this is my first year applying, your perserverene, tenacity, and positive attitude is inspiring.

I've always wanted to ask but was too timid to: when someone lists "3rd year applicant" in their stats, does this mean they applied during their 3rd year of undergrad or that this is their 3rd year applying to said school?

Finally, i just want to shout out to Lupe, who has put so much work and time into helping me understand this process (and my chances) better. Lupe, you're awesome and all your efforts are appreciated!

THANKS EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!! I appreciate the LOVE!!!! :) :) :)

Nikki, you were right the first time; it means they applied when they were starting their third year at University.

I just wanted to add something to the discussion. In past years, the waitlist movement started on deadline day and was steady for the next 5 days. This year, movement started early and there have already been 5 days of solid movement. I'm beginning to think that the next set of offers will be contingent on waitlisters who decline their offers. I could be proven wrong if someone gets accepted and posts about it today or tomorrow. If not, then we are at the mercy of other people's declines.

EDIT: I just looked at the numbers and in the worst case scenario there should be movement today AND tomorrow. In the best case scenario there will be solid movement throughout this week until next Tuesday; at that point everything will depend on waitlisters declining their offers.

THANKS EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!! I appreciate the LOVE!!!! :) :) :)

Nikki, you were right the first time; it means they applied when they were starting their third year at University.

I just wanted to add something to the discussion. In past years, the waitlist movement started on deadline day and was steady for the next 5 days. This year, movement started early and there have already been 5 days of solid movement. I'm beginning to think that the next set of offers will be contingent on waitlisters who decline their offers. I could be proven wrong if someone gets accepted and posts about it today or tomorrow. If not, then we are at the mercy of other people's declines.

EDIT: I just looked at the numbers and in the worst case scenario there should be movement today AND tomorrow. In the best case scenario there will be solid movement throughout this week until next Tuesday; at that point everything will depend on waitlisters declining their offers.

There's also the last-ditch possibility of deferrals. I mean it's totally possible that someone could have a family crisis or medical problem in June, July or August and from the sound of it, Mac would give their spot to someone on the waitlist. I mean, I can't remember if it was this thread, but apparently people have gotten in in August (must be crazy rare as well as annoying for people like me who will have re-rewritten their MCAT at that point). Same thing with Lupe's statistics with someone getting in on July 7th two years ago - must have been a deferral. So there's that small glimmer of hope as well... Along with the inspiration seen in a recent poster (so sorry but I forgot the name) who worked for three years to get in! I have a lot to learn from that kind of positive thinking!

If I'm not mistaken, don't they have a short list for just this occasion? And everyone else is at least given some closure with the class full notification?

I'm not aware of this. I'm under the impression that there is one list of 145 people.

I'm not aware of this. I'm under the impression that there is one list of 145 people.

I've been meaning to call the office anyways to see if I can apply in my first year of graduate school. So I'll try my best to call tomorrow and ask about whether they'll let us know when the class is full and if they have a shorter list for deferrals which we'll be informed of if we're on it. If anyone else is dying to know, you might as well call tomorrow since even I'm not relying on myself to do it tomorrow lol.

I've been meaning to call the office anyways to see if I can apply in my first year of graduate school. So I'll try my best to call tomorrow and ask about whether they'll let us know when the class is full and if they have a shorter list for deferrals which we'll be informed of if we're on it. If anyone else is dying to know, you might as well call tomorrow since even I'm not relying on myself to do it tomorrow lol.

From past years threads it appears McMaster does NOT keep a shorter list of deferrals. In fact, McMaster does not even e-mail the waitlisters that the class is full; there is usually a posting on the McMaster website that the class is full and that is it. If this is indeed what happens, it is very unprofessional in my opinion.

But there should be good movement this week and the next. Also, the deadline to respond to the offers is June 13th so keep an eye out for that date. And, just because no one has posted about getting accepted doesn't mean no one got accepted.

As an aside, I've been wondering what the ADCOM members do in the summer; there can't be that much work right now...

From past years threads it appears McMaster does NOT keep a shorter list of deferrals. In fact, McMaster does not even e-mail the waitlisters that the class is full; there is usually a posting on the McMaster website that the class is full and that is it. If this is indeed what happens, it is very unprofessional in my opinion.

But there should be good movement this week and the next. Also, the deadline to respond to the offers is June 13th so keep an eye out for that date. And, just because no one has posted about getting accepted doesn't mean no one got accepted.

As an aside, I've been wondering what the ADCOM members do in the summer; there can't be that much work right now...

That sucks that they don't even send out an email to say the class is full! I was in your shoes until Tuesday so I know how you all are feeling right now; keep your heads up high. Honestly I found distracting myself helped me a lot. Worst case scenario you guys apply again, and you'll probably have better luck as you are all now veterans of the process.

As for what ADCOMs do during the summer- they have a lot of paper work to deal with for the incoming class, stuff like health forms, police checks, etc. That, and dealing with anxious waitlisters ;) !

Hi folks

It's finally starting to sink in that i'm not getting in off the waitlist this year.

As this is my first time applying (to only Mac) and as i'm a non-traditional applicant (36, social work professional) i'm trying hard not to conclude that i'm just out of my league. So far, this is going OK. I'm encouraged to have been placed on the waitlist-to have gotten close.

And will re apply next round.

With a low VR (8) my action plan is to re write

(at the same time, I am nervous about re-writing due to wondering about having a bad test/bad day and scoring lower and below Mac's cut off-so i would love any feedback you might be able to provide).

PS: my scores on numerous practice tests were much higher-i think i'm just unaccustomed to the pressure of timed standardized tests and imagine that with more practice, comes higher scores?

I felt really good about CASPER and the MMI as a I had a lot to think about and say with regards to the scenarios and topics.

Having this forum to read and learn from has been enormously helpful throughout the application experience and the grand wait.

I think that all of you are stellar candidates and am certain that in time, you'll all receive admission.

Looking forward to keeping in touch with you in various threads as the process begins again.

Have a great summer!

:)

Nikki

So 5 days of steady offers then 2 days with no offers? That sounds to me like they've sent out offers to all the initial open spots, so now we wait for those people to respond.

Unfortunately, it looks like you may be right. It's possible that those not on premed101 received an offer but we have no way of knowing unless any lurkers chime in.

Is June 13th the deadline date for all the waitlisters who received an offer?

Hi folks

It's finally starting to sink in that i'm not getting in off the waitlist this year.

Having this forum to read and learn from has been enormously helpful throughout the application experience and the grand wait.

I think that all of you are stellar candidates and am certain that in time, you'll all receive admission.

Looking forward to keeping in touch with you in various threads as the process begins again.

Have a great summer!

:)

Nikki

I actually feel the same way. . . I'm just trying to distract myself but I think it has finally sunk in that I won't be getting in this year. O well... Time to consider re-writing the MCAT.

Folks,

It's way too early to make any conclusions about not getting in. Today is only June 2nd. The waitlist traditionally moves well into August before being dissolved, so while it's a good idea to consider alternative planning, stay optimistic and keep your fingers crossed ladies and gents !!!!!

Folks,

It's way too early to make any conclusions about not getting in. Today is only June 2nd. The waitlist traditionally moves well into August before being dissolved, so while it's a good idea to consider alternative planning, stay optimistic and keep your fingers crossed ladies and gents !!!!!

I doubt there will be any more offers this week. Next week is a maybe as well as the deadline to accept an offer at Mac off the waitlist is June 13th, so the week of the 13th could be good.

But realistically, the chances of us getting are low and they get lower each day somebody else gets in.

Can someone who's accepted this year please try to convince McMaster to do a high-priority, regular, and low waitlist thing in future years? I can't see it being much more work on their part and I imagine people like us would bother them less having this information in hand.

I doubt there will be any more offers this week. Next week is a maybe as well as the deadline to accept an offer at Mac off the waitlist is June 13th, so the week of the 13th could be good.

But realistically, the chances of us getting are low and they get lower each day somebody else gets in.

Can someone who's accepted this year please try to convince McMaster to do a high-priority, regular, and low waitlist thing in future years? I can't see it being much more work on their part and I imagine people like us would bother them less having this information in hand.

Just FYI, there's also a deadline of June 8th for some people who recently got offers off of the waitlist. So there's a chance of some movement early next week.

Just FYI, there's also a deadline of June 8th for some people who recently got offers off of the waitlist. So there's a chance of some movement early next week.

Good to know. So June 8th and June 13th are two big days. I imagine those who will receive offers on or around the 8th will also have 2 weeks to respond, so the next deadline will be June 22nd.

I suggested this earlier and I will do so again.

Can everyone who was waitlisted please post the time-steamp of their email from Wendy on May 5th letting them know they were waitlisted. I doubt there is a correlation between how early you received the e-mail and what your position is on the waitlist BUT those who were accepted received their e-mails a good 10 to 15 minutes before those of us on the waitlist. So there may be some significance about the time Wendy sent us the e-mails.

So I'll get it started:

Timestamp - 8:29AM

Can everyone who was waitlisted please post the time-steamp of their email from Wendy on May 5th letting them know they were waitlisted. I doubt there is a correlation between how early you received the e-mail and what your position is on the waitlist BUT those who were accepted received their e-mails a good 10 to 15 minutes before those of us on the waitlist. So there may be some significance about the time Wendy sent us the e-mails.

So I'll get it started:

Mine was

8:27

From the preliminary data, the timestamps seems to have some significance.

We shouldn't make any conclusions based on 4 posts though. Everyone keep posting and thanks to the person who signed up for an account just to post the timestamp, I really appreciate it!

So I'll get it started:

Accepted off waitlist to Hamilton campus (first choice)

May 5th timestamp 8:27:49 AM

Archived