Premed 101 Forums

Are you a Yorkie Premed? (York Premed Discussion)

charmer08

Are you a Yorkie?  

205 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a Yorkie?

• Yes
    • No

Really starting to wonder about York now. Taking a stats class bit the prof sucks so I hold group study sessions where I reteach the material as exam prep to help people out.

Have another mature student in the group that leaves me wondering how she got in. Barely speaks English and worse, had to spend 20 mins teaching her how to convert decimals to percents, percents to decimals and ratio's to fractions.

Turns out that was a good thing because a few of the others, who aren't far removed from high school, were also lost on how to do this.

I am bewildered :/

Which course is this? Are you a TA for this course or something? If not I give you props for taking the initiative to hold group sessions for others.

Who knows a lot of people now a days do private school to get marks so learn nothing. Maybe they could have did that.

done that*

you must have taken 12U English in private school..

I don't pay attention to spelling and grammar when I write on forums.

You* must have taken Grade* 12 English in private school.*

Before you attack someone on a forum make sure you don't look like a fool in the process.

seriously? what happened, did they drop out or switch into kin?

lmao I only know a couple bio majors that switched out, one to psych the other to kin. Kinda regretting not doing the same myself :(

Go with Micro. It's being taught by Nicole. She's a sweetheart and a fantastic prof. Really cares and very fair.

No way I didn't even remember it was her teaching it. Micro it is then, I hear the virology guy is insane anyways

lmao I only know a couple bio majors that switched out, one to psych the other to kin. Kinda regretting not doing the same myself :(

No way I didn't even remember it was her teaching it. Micro it is then, I hear the virology guy is insane anyways

you should still switch while you can ;)

I took Micro but it was with Gadsden and it was TONS of work. I looked at Nicole's ratemyprof ratings and she has rave reviews (never had her as a prof myself though).

Anyone taken the following courses can give feedback:

Kine 4020 Human Nutrition - Prof. Roger Kelton, Olasunkanmi A J Adegoke

KINE 3000 Psychology of Physical Activity and Health - Prof. Joe Baker, Jessica Fraser-Thomas

KINE 3340 Growth, Maturation and Physical Activity - Prof. Nicolas Wattie

PHIL 2075 Introduction to Applied Ethics

NATS 1760 Science, Technology, Society - Prof. Jill Lazenby

This is being taught by Duff Waring right? I'm looking for feedback on him too!

I heard he's a great prof! I'm taking his 3rd year Intro to Bioethics course :)

I was in that course but dropped it. I felt uneasy taking a third year philosophy course. Thought I'd be putting my GPA on the line. I even e-mailed him asking if people get As in his class and he said "rarely". I might take the course in fourth year when my GPA can take a hit.

you should still switch while you can ;)

I took Micro but it was with Gadsden and it was TONS of work. I looked at Nicole's ratemyprof ratings and she has rave reviews (never had her as a prof myself though).

Ahah if I lived through immunology I can live through anything *will regret this statement at some point I know*

and thanks for the heads up :P

Guest mmhs12345

Anyone here had kine 1020 before? I'm never a person that complains about tests, I usually do really well on all multiple choice, but it feels as though Belcastro's section on the exam was very unfair. He asked questions we never even learned before. Did he do that for anyone here that him for kine 1020? Also, does kine 1020 and kine 1000 bellcurve?

I was in that course but dropped it. I felt uneasy taking a third year philosophy course. Thought I'd be putting my GPA on the line. I even e-mailed him asking if people get As in his class and he said "rarely". I might take the course in fourth year when my GPA can take a hit.

Oh no that's not good to hear...guess I'll see on the first class what the syllabus is like. I wonder if his 2nd year Applied Ethics class is any easier? (anyone take that?)

Nope Tanya Da sylva taught it thank god *I mean immunology as in BIOL 3120 not the immuno section of 2011*

I liked it but it was the most ridiculously overwhelming class I've ever taken by a longshot.

Yeah immuno is one of the harder bio courses I think. I took that two years ago and it definitely hurt my GPA :( Interesting class though, and Tanya's a really nice person.

Does anyone know how regrading policies work for classes with final assignments, not final exams?

I received a B+ in a course today with a final paper. With my grades going in, I needed only a 67 on the final paper to get 80%, and given the TA and Prof feedback, I'm confident I got at least a 67.

The prof didn't return grades for the final paper. As we all know the difference between a B+ and an A is the difference between a 3.3 and a 3.8.