Premed 101 Forums

Are you a Yorkie Premed? (York Premed Discussion)

charmer08

Are you a Yorkie?  

205 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a Yorkie?

• Yes
    • No

That is why I'm hesitating. I have a heavy schedule as is, so I'm leaning towards the physiology courses. I'm also unsure about taking the third year lab course in biochem. I am leaning towards replacing it with population genetics or invertebrate endocrinology

Maybe you should stick with physiology then, you won't learn much but it's probably better than stressing yourself out.

I've heard good things about popuation genetics and vertebrate endocrinology (did you mean vertebrate? I didn't know invertebrate existed)

Abnormal with Lewin was pretty intense. 75 MC 2 pages of fill in the blanks, 15 marks of short answes, every test! Everything is pretty much stragiht from textbook though. 

Isn't that standard for psych courses? My sensation and perception final had something like 150 MC and a few pages of short answer

Isn't that standard for psych courses? My sensation and perception final had something like 150 MC and a few pages of short answer

Most of the psyc courses I've taken have been 100% MC (Personality, Evolutionary Psyc, Social psyc, Motivation, bio basis, psyc of women, etc) 

It does depend on the prof though, MC & SA is also pretty common. 

Maybe you should stick with physiology then, you won't learn much but it's probably better than stressing yourself out.

I've heard good things about popuation genetics and vertebrate endocrinology (did you mean vertebrate? I didn't know invertebrate existed)

Yeah I meant vertebrate endocrinology. I'll probably switch out of the lab course for pop genetics and shift immunobio to first term. I've heard immuno is difficult, but there are only so many non-physiology, non-ecology related biology courses at York.

I'm looking for easy 3rd or 4th year kine courses (once in which an A+ is very doable) - Any recommendations?

Also, are there any easy 3rd year courses which don't require pre-reqs?

I'm also looking for an upper level KINE, no luck so far. 

I've heard KINE 3000 is easy, and Human Physiology 1. 

Just fyi, there have been some issues across departments this year when enrolling into 4th year courses. You can be in the major, have all the prereqs and it still says course is restricted. I had to call the undergrad bio office to have them clear the restriction for me.

"For example, UofC is changing their admission policy for incoming applicants in that students must have studied at institutions that essentially have a medical school on their campus. If a student studied at an institution that is not of a medical/doctoral standard, they must show that the courses they took are transferable to an institution that is of a medical/doctoral undergraduate institution standard... if I understand their policy correctly." - other thread

Can anyone confirm this? Is this going to be a problem for us? @bruhh

"For example, UofC is changing their admission policy for incoming applicants in that students must have studied at institutions that essentially have a medical school on their campus. If a student studied at an institution that is not of a medical/doctoral standard, they must show that the courses they took are transferable to an institution that is of a medical/doctoral undergraduate institution standard... if I understand their policy correctly." - other thread

Can anyone confirm this? Is this going to be a problem for us? @bruhh

This is true. It seems like the most annoying requirement. I think it means we have to find 24 credits in 2 of our full time years (24 Cred is full time) that transfer to medical/PhD granting schools. Even US schools qualify, so it's annoying that we possibly have to look all around the globe for a school that has the same course offering. Apparently, the GPA is calculated only from the courses that transfer to the MD PhD schools :/ I'm not 100% sure about that though.

"For the 2015-2016 cycle:

We will be replacing the “AUCC standard” with a “Medical Doctoral Standard”.   In other words, we will require that at least two full-time years of undergraduate university education must have been completed at a medical-doctoral degree-granting institution (i.e a school that awards both the MD and PhD degrees) or that each course completed during each of two full-time years be individually transferrable to such a school.

The two full-time years can be completed at a non-medical-doctoral school if there are 24 credits from individually transferable courses per year, but these must be transferable on a course-by-course-basis, and the applicant must be able to identify the specific courses at a medical-doctoral degree-granting institution for which their course work would be granted credit."

This is true. It seems like the most annoying requirement. I think it means we have to find 24 credits in 2 of our full time years (24 Cred is full time) that transfer to medical/PhD granting schools. Even US schools qualify, so it's annoying that we possibly have to look all around the globe for a school that has the same course offering. Apparently, the GPA is calculated only from the courses that transfer to the MD PhD schools :/ I'm not 100% sure about that though.

"For the 2015-2016 cycle:

We will be replacing the “AUCC standard” with a “Medical Doctoral Standard”.   In other words, we will require that at least two full-time years of undergraduate university education must have been completed at a medical-doctoral degree-granting institution (i.e a school that awards both the MD and PhD degrees) or that each course completed during each of two full-time years be individually transferrable to such a school.

The two full-time years can be completed at a non-medical-doctoral school if there are 24 credits from individually transferable courses per year, but these must be transferable on a course-by-course-basis, and the applicant must be able to identify the specific courses at a medical-doctoral degree-granting institution for which their course work would be granted credit."

What gets trickier is that we may have to provide evidence (i.e. email or letter) of the MD/PHD school agreeing the courses are equivalent. This "standard" they're setting is utter nonsense. The fact that an MD/PHD school has the course bears no reflection on the validity of the course itself. 

Hey guys I need help in picking my courses for my first year are

Chem 1000

MODR 1770

SOSC 1510

PSYC 1010

MATH 1510

BIOL 1000

now honestly I picked all these courses to fulfill my first year requirements. 

Obviously I am a psychology (Bsc) student and MODR 1770 is a requirement for humanities

PSYC 1010 is a requirement for the program

For sciences I had the choice of either doing CHEM 1000+CHEM 1001 OR BIOL 1000 + BIOL 1001  or a physics course. However i choose CHEM 1000 and BIOL 1000

For math instead of doing MATH 1013+1014 i picked MATH 1510 (which is an introductory course).

Are my choice for first year bad, espicially for math and the bio and chem mix?

Does it matter for Medical schools that I did courses in summer school (prolly gonna do BIOL 1001 and CHEM 1001)?

Thank you guys.

Hey guys I need help in picking my courses for my first year are

Chem 1000

MODR 1770

SOSC 1510

PSYC 1010

MATH 1510

BIOL 1000

now honestly I picked all these courses to fulfill my first year requirements. 

Obviously I am a psychology (Bsc) student and MODR 1770 is a requirement for humanities

PSYC 1010 is a requirement for the program

For sciences I had the choice of either doing CHEM 1000+CHEM 1001 OR BIOL 1000 + BIOL 1001  or a physics course. However i choose CHEM 1000 and BIOL 1000

For math instead of doing MATH 1013+1014 i picked MATH 1510 (which is an introductory course).

Are my choice for first year bad, espicially for math and the bio and chem mix?

Does it matter for Medical schools that I did courses in summer school (prolly gonna do BIOL 1001 and CHEM 1001)?

Thank you guys.

Do Math1505. It's really easy, 6 credit course and it will fulfill the requirement for US Medical schools (for those that have a calculus pre-requisite). I don't know much about 1510, but if it's an introductory course, it likely won't fulfill any requirements. If you can take 1505 with Pietrowski, go for it. He's really easy, and he's a really friendly guy. If you have any problems, he's happy to help. 

Chem1000- go for Hempstead. He's really easy. 

PSYC1010: Jubis. Really easy, although PSYC1010 will likely be easy whoever you take. Jubis is awesome, though.

BIOL1000: I had Clark. Didn't like her, found her monotone. Nivillac teaches well. See if you can get her.

MODR: Heard Dan McArthur is awesome.

SOSC: 1510 is supposed to be a bird course. 

Your course choices are good. Ignore what the advisers say, and take all 30 credits (which you seem to have done, so good move). Falling is right, the only school that has a problem with doing pre-requisites in the summer seems to be McGill. Good luck.

Hi Guys

I am about to start an undergrad towards getting into medschool. I already have done an undergrad with 3.2 GPA and a masters. I was wondering which program is the best option to do in order to not only pass some of the prerequisite courses but also get prepared for the new format of MCAT. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Hi Guys

I am about to start an undergrad towards getting into medschool. I already have done an undergrad with 3.2 GPA and a masters. I was wondering which program is the best option to do in order to not only pass some of the prerequisite courses but also get prepared for the new format of MCAT. Any ideas?

Thanks,

I think you should work towards a high GPA and make that your priority rather than the courses that will help for MCAT preparation. Any program you go into will allow electives for which you can take prereqs towards MCAT prep.

I think that the Psyc program is pretty easy if you are okay with studying a lot of pages/memorization/regurgitation. Kine is also notoriously easy.

I think you should work towards a high GPA and make that your priority rather than the courses that will help for MCAT preparation. Any program you go into will allow electives for which you can take prereqs towards MCAT prep.

I think that the Psyc program is pretty easy if you are okay with studying a lot of pages/memorization/regurgitation. Kine is also notoriously easy.

Thank you for the information. 

I already have an undergrad (GPA 3.2) and a master degree in mechanical Eng. So I prefer to finish my second undergrad as soon as possible. Do you think I can do Kine or Psyc in 3 years?

Thank you for the information.

I already have an undergrad (GPA 3.2) and a master degree in mechanical Eng. So I prefer to finish my second undergrad as soon as possible. Do you think I can do Kine or Psyc in 3 years?

Absolutely. Just take full courseload each year and fill up your summers with the harder prereq courses :)

Absolutely. Just take full courseload each year and fill up your summers with the harder prereq courses :)

The reason that you are suggesting I take harder courses in summer is that they do not affect my GPA for most of medical schools? 

The reason that you are suggesting I take harder courses in summer is that they do not affect my GPA for most of medical schools?

Exactly. Mac and UBC are the only ones I can think of that will still count your summer courses towards GPA. Other med schools will just count the credit.