Premed 101 Forums

Are you a Yorkie Premed? (York Premed Discussion)

charmer08

Are you a Yorkie?  

205 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a Yorkie?

• Yes
    • No

Any York Students applying to the US this upcoming cycle? (This coming June)

Also, any former York students currently in the US willing to talk about their experience? (Questions)

Not applying for the US but apparantly for Texas med schools, you apply through a completely different body. It's called TMDSAS. 

https://www.tmdsas.com/homepage.html

Acceptance rates are low but its cheap so up to you. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Guys,

I had a question. Currently, I am taking 4 courses in fall term, and 6 courses in the winter term. Should I do this, this means that I will be having 30 credits in the whole year. However, I am not sure if I will be able to take 6 credits in winter. Thus, I was wondering if there were any medical schools in Canada that will look at 27 credits as "not full course load," and tell me that I will not be able to apply. I also know that there are some schools with formulas, like UofT.

1. Please tell me if I will not be able to apply to any schools with 27 credits.

2. Which schools have formula's for 30 credits, which I would miss out on if I only take the 27 credits.

Please help me out so that I could make my decision as urgently as possible.

Thank you,

Hey Guys,

I had a question. Currently, I am taking 4 courses in fall term, and 6 courses in the winter term. Should I do this, this means that I will be having 30 credits in the whole year. However, I am not sure if I will be able to take 6 credits in winter. Thus, I was wondering if there were any medical schools in Canada that will look at 27 credits as "not full course load," and tell me that I will not be able to apply. I also know that there are some schools with formulas, like UofT.

1. Please tell me if I will not be able to apply to any schools with 27 credits.

2. Which schools have formula's for 30 credits, which I would miss out on if I only take the 27 credits.

Thank you,

Hi DukeStukov,

I would suggest that you contact each of the med schools you are interested in and get them to help you out with your questions.  I believe they are more than willing to answer them.  You could also stop by the Science Academic Services counter located at 352 Lumbers building and pick up a "pre-professional school package" that is also helpful.

You would also be able to inquire about your 6 courses in the winter term question with the advisors at that counter as well.

Cheers!

Biol 2020 with kubieski i heard he uses test bank. Does anybody know where i can get them?

biol 2030 or 2060 which one is easier to get an A+ in?

When Kubieski posts sample questions, google the questions and you'll fine the website (if it is still up).

2060 is probably easier than 2030.

Does anyone know where this is or have a link for it? I've been searching for it by pasting questions from past tests, but can't find anything! My test is tomorrow morning, so any help would be appreciated :)

Hey Guys,

Thank you,

You most definitely apply to ALL schools if you do 27 credits this year, and perhaps do 3 over the summer. BUT you will be at a disadvantage for Uft (for sure) and perhaps more  ( you need to look it up). I know Ottawa will still consider your as a full time student, so there is still room to be optimistic. For western you need any 2 years to be full course load (5 courses with the 60/40ׁׁ) so you should be OK there too. 

I wasn`t able to understand from your comment; have you considered taking 4 three credit courses and one 6 credit during the winter term? ( theres many NATS and HUMA courses like that) I know it sounds like a lot of work (which to be fair, medicine is hard work, and we are only in the beginning) but that way you are not at a disadvantage.

Something to think about ! hopefully that helped

• 1 month later...

The exam average for orgo I was posted today. It was in the 50s and they’re not going to bell curve. How is that even legal?!

Does anyone know, is orgo II (chem2021) more difficult than orgo I? With so many people weeded out of orgo now, does it get a lot more difficult?

You'd have to look at the variance in stuff like averages. Did 100 people get 50% on the test out of 100 students or did 50 do really well and the other 50 do really bad. The line gets even blurrier when its not as clean numbers as I'm presenting.

If several people could get over a 100 marks on that exam then I understand why they didn't bell curve. It was within our range and unfortunately, people just didn't live up to expectations.

Orgo 2 is probably going to be as difficult, if not, more difficult than orgo 1. You're required to know everything from Orgo 1 as they will be building upon it and making concepts more complicated.

Yeah that makes sense. I’m just kind of shocked at the exam averages (57,56,50 for section C,A, & B . Either people just don’t care at the end of the term or there’s something wrong with the layout of the course. I never really noticed but do other courses have final exam averages that low? I feel like this isn’t normal lol.

Good thing orgo II gets easier!

The exam average for orgo I was posted today. It was in the 50s and they’re not going to bell curve. How is that even legal?!

Does anyone know, is orgo II (chem2021) more difficult than orgo I? With so many people weeded out of orgo now, does it get a lot more difficult?

As others have already said, the bell curve normalization is usually done for overall course grades and only for individual test marks if the prof wishes to do so.  From my experience, most final grades at York did get scaled in some way to make the class average fair.

Difficulty would be entirely personal.  I know that I found the content that is now covered in CHEM 2021 relatively easier than CHEM 2020.

Does anyone know if the final exam for Kine 1000 in April is cumulative? I'm just trying to plan the rest of the semester roughly.

I'm also taking Kine 2050 with Mosher this upcoming semester and I was wondering if anyone knew how the course is in terms of work load and just the general feel of it. I've had Kine 2049 with him but I don't know how Kine 2050 will be.

Thanks in advance for all your replies! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Quick rundown of some of the 3/4th year bio courses: 

Molec 1 - A lot of memorizing, not a lot of thinking. Every tiny detail mentioned on a slide is testable and will be tested. Small details from the first lecture will be tested in the final. Overall, it is a straight forward A+ if you have time to memorize. 

Molec 2 - I thought it was a "bird" course because it was almost entirely application based when I took it. A lot of fun, but you have to know the experiments and techniques very well. Take it with Scheid if possible. 

Adv. Biochem - More memorizing than Molec 1 and 2 combined. If you can memorize slide after slide of reaction mechanisms and structures, you'll get an A+. 

Macromolecules - Avoid simply because Audette is awful. The course is easy enough, I guess. The final is difficult because the midterms were application based and the final was all regurgitating little details. 

Immunology - Best course I've taken ever. So interesting and not a lot of work. Have to develop a very strong understanding of the material, but Dr. Da Sylva is very good at lecturing. Course was structured differently in the past; it is no longer heavy on the readings. 

Cancer Bio - Another super interesting course. The prof is a really nice guy, but he says things that are wrong sometimes. He records all the lectures for you. Midterms were 50% MC and 50% short answer. I found the short answer to be consistently easy and the MC varied with the midterms. No final exam - 3 midterms + 25% group work. Group work is marked easy, but is time consuming. A+ will be hard, but doable 

Reproduction - Dr Kelly isn't teaching it for the next 3 years, so i wont say anything about it other than, if Dr Kelly is teaching it, take it. 

Per the AAMC applicant guide: "Please note that AAMCAS assigns the same weight (4.0) to grades of A+ and A."

Any York students who have applied or been accepted to a US medical school that uses AAMCAS, Can someone PLEASE confirm this? I have been asked this many times. Can we finally get a definitive answer? By confirm, I mean, can you confirm that your York A's and A+'s were both assigned a weight of 4.0 by AAMCAS? (It feels like this is a huge question at not just York, but a lot of schools.)

Thanks!

To clarify why I am asking this as it says so in the manual, there has been a rumor that because York has numerical grades (1-9 Scale), an A is a 3.7 and an A+ is a 4.0. I want to dispel this rumor if it is false, or confirm it if it is true.

Thanks Falling! I actually spoke to a friend yesterday who got into a bunch of US medical schools and he confirmed that an A=A+=4.0. The rumor has been dispelled! 

How's the year going?

Good. Most of the 3/4th year courses feel a lot easier than the second year courses. I'm not sure why. How about you?

Per the AAMC applicant guide: "Please note that AAMCAS assigns the same weight (4.0) to grades of A+ and A."

Any York students who have applied or been accepted to a US medical school that uses AAMCAS, Can someone PLEASE confirm this? I have been asked this many times. Can we finally get a definitive answer? By confirm, I mean, can you confirm that your York A's and A+'s were both assigned a weight of 4.0 by AAMCAS? (It feels like this is a huge question at not just York, but a lot of schools.)

Thanks!

To clarify why I am asking this as it says so in the manual, there has been a rumor that because York has numerical grades (1-9 Scale), an A is a 3.7 and an A+ is a 4.0. I want to dispel this rumor if it is false, or confirm it if it is true.

Having applied to US schools through the AMCAS service, I can confirm that York's As and A+s are both 4.0/4.0.  Good luck guys!

Having applied to US schools through the AMCAS service, I can confirm that York's As and A+s are both 4.0/4.0.  Good luck guys!

Thanks! Additional confirmation is always awesome. If you don't mind my asking, which schools did you apply to? (Trying to narrow down my list, using MSAR, but it only gives figures for "International students". Just trying to get a list of schools York students have gotten into.)