Premed 101 Forums

Are you a Yorkie Premed? (York Premed Discussion)

charmer08

Are you a Yorkie?  

205 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a Yorkie?

• Yes
    • No

I'm currently in Bio. I could take 1505, but opt not to given that they are not allowed as pre-reqs to Pharmacy at UT and Optometry at UWaterloo.

I don't understand what it means to be "York'd"?

Hey man, starting York in a week. I'd really like to know what it means to be "York'd" before staring school there. 

Hi all York Lions!

I'm entering my first year of York sciences, having transferred from another school and entirely different faculty.

I'm wondering what courses I should take as electives for my first year. 

I currently have

Fall

BIOL 1000

CHEM 1000

PHYS 1420

PSYC 1010

MATH 1013

Winter

BIOL 1001

CHEM 1001

PHYS 1420

PSYC 1010

MATH 1014

I spoke with a SAS advisor who suggested that I take PHYS 1420 in the summer, and take my two courses (6 creds) of Social Sciences and Humanities instead.

I also have transfer credits for Calc 1 and 2 (Math 1013/1014), from courses I took another institution-- they were not 4.0 high.

Do you agree with what the advisor suggested in taking the PHYS in summer? Should I also take the transfer credits for MATH 1013 & 1014? If so, what social science and humanities courses would you recommend?

Hey, I was also a student advisor at York for a couple years and I agree with what your advisor recommended.  Taking bio chem and physics in the same year will be a huge workload.  I would definitely work towards the Non-Science Requirement courses that you are talking about and move physics to the summer.  If you didn't receive a computer science credit, you can take take that course as well this year.

From what I heard, Systems Neuroscience is one of the easier fourth year bio courses. 

Any feedback on Ecology (Heard it is easy A but very hard A+ with Dr. Lortie), Processes of Evolution (Dr. Sapp), Virology (Dr. White), and Immuno (Dr. da Sylva)?

I need to choose one from this list.

I took Immuno with Dr. Da Sylva.  I wouldn't say it's an easy course, but it was super interesting and Dr. Da Sylva is an excellent prof! There were also weekly assignments that we did that were practically free marks.

Hi all York Lions!

I'm entering my first year of York sciences, having transferred from another school and entirely different faculty.

I'm wondering what courses I should take as electives for my first year. 

I currently have

Fall

BIOL 1000

CHEM 1000

PHYS 1420

PSYC 1010

MATH 1013

Winter

BIOL 1001

CHEM 1001

PHYS 1420

PSYC 1010

MATH 1014

I spoke with a SAS advisor who suggested that I take PHYS 1420 in the summer, and take my two courses (6 creds) of Social Sciences and Humanities instead.

I also have transfer credits for Calc 1 and 2 (Math 1013/1014), from courses I took another institution-- they were not 4.0 high.

Do you agree with what the advisor suggested in taking the PHYS in summer? Should I also take the transfer credits for MATH 1013 & 1014? If so, what social science and humanities courses would you recommend?

Hey, I was also a student advisor at York for a couple years and I agree with what your advisor recommended.  Taking bio chem and physics in the same year will be a huge workload.  I would definitely work towards the Non-Science Requirement courses that you are talking about%2

• 4 weeks later...

I'm currently in Bio. I could take 1505, but opt not to given that they are not allowed as pre-reqs to Pharmacy at UT and Optometry at UWaterloo.

I don't understand what it means to be "York'd"?

Are you considering a career in pharmacy and optometry, or are you keeping those as back up? I took 1013/1014 for the same reason (wanted pharmacy as a backup and later realized I hated it) and 1014 killed me. My first year advisor told me to take 1013/1014 while I watched all my other friends take 1505 and it was so easy. I'd say if med is your goal don't think of back ups and just go hard, be confident. 

Also, there is no such thing as being York'd. Every university has its pros and cons. York is a great place and you will meet many great and supportive people especially in Science/Bethune College.

It's been waste, man.

hah - I see what you did there.

Depressing... LOL. did not miss York one bit! How do you like it so far?

Did you already complete your studies at York? What did you study?

I have enjoyed my return to school. Saw my friends and enjoy all of the classes I am taking so far.

ok, that's great to hear. What're you studying? Have you joined or participated in any on campus activities or groups?

The first couple of weeks for me was stupid hectic. I had to work full time for the first two weeks of school, which resulted in me missing a crap ton of my first classes, and several participation marks. Luckily i have a twin, so that mitigated some of damage.  What surprised me the most about university life was how uneven the classes are. My intro to physics is hella easy, whereas  the high amount of discipline and sacrifice needed for some of my visual arts studio classes kinda blew my mind.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Is there anyone taking EECS1520? The course got reconditioned this year. Our section professors and students are waiting on the course director, who turned out to be a new to the position, to release the last two assignments worth 7%. These assignments rely on online instructional videos that also haven't been released, and have been tested on all of our tests. With two weeks before classes end and finals start, I'm really worried for these components and also the finals coming up.

As for the final, a lot of people are thinking about  dropping the course in my section. Getting an A+ will require me acing the final, which is unrealistic. Historically speaking ,what worries me even more is that after the first two tests, classmates in my section have been underperforming compared to the rest of the class (no solid numbers, except that our course has a 50 average whereas the other courses had the mean at 65, either through flat mark bumps, etc.). From what I understand, the final will have be to be agreed upon by all the professors-- which throws into question if there is sufficient time to address each class' content taught so that we as students can be caught up with any differences and not answer incorrectly on the final just because our professor taught it a different way.

At this point, I'm considering to drop the course too. No sample tests, no extra practice questions, past tests have only a small fraction of the material that was kept from prior iterations of the course (i..e no gates, excel was watered down). In no way did treat this as a bird course.

I've missed no lectures, attended all of the optional tutorials (Q&A sessions on an individual basis), I've pulled old EECS 1520 test I could find, sought the professor after class for brief questions, and actively participated in class to reinforce the concepts taught and to pick his brain with what could be asked and what would be beyond the scope of the course.

Sorry for the long winded rant. End /r

Tl;dr Inconsistency between classes in performance and content, finals are approaching. The though of acing the final is terrifying and also unrealistic. Is there anything I should consider doing at this point? Talking to the professor and course coordinator during their office hours?

Is there anyone taking EECS1520? The course got reconditioned this year. Our section professors and students are waiting on the course director, who turned out to be a new to the position, to release the last two assignments worth 7%. These assignments rely on online instructional videos that also haven't been released, and have been tested on all of our tests. With two weeks before classes end and finals start, I'm really worried for these components and also the finals coming up.

As for the final, a lot of people are thinking about  dropping the course in my section. Getting an A+ will require me acing the final, which is unrealistic. Historically speaking ,what worries me even more is that after the first two tests, classmates in my section have been underperforming compared to the rest of the class (no solid numbers, except that our course has a 50 average whereas the other courses had the mean at 65, either through flat mark bumps, etc.). From what I understand, the final will have be to be agreed upon by all the professors-- which throws into question if there is sufficient time to address each class' content taught so that we as students can be caught up with any differences and not answer incorrectly on the final just because our professor taught it a different way.

At this point, I'm considering to drop the course too. No sample tests, no extra practice questions, past tests have only a small fraction of the material that was kept from prior iterations of the course (i..e no gates, excel was watered down). In no way did treat this as a bird course.

I've missed no lectures, attended all of the optional tutorials (Q&A sessions on an individual basis), I've pulled old EECS 1520 test I could find, sought the professor after class for brief questions, and actively participated in class to reinforce the concepts taught and to pick his brain with what could be asked and what would be beyond the scope of the course.

Sorry for the long winded rant. End /r

Tl;dr Inconsistency between classes in performance and content, finals are approaching. The though of acing the final is terrifying and also unrealistic. Is there anything I should consider doing at this point? Talking to the professor and course coordinator during their office hours?

Spot the contradiction.  :)

Having taken the course two years ago - I am really happy they changed it, that was perhaps the worst course I have taken.

If you really don't think you can pull off a 79.5 in the course (expect a bell curve, I know they did for all sections), drop it but make sure to take an extra course in winter. 

Seems like you did the best you can do. Not surprised hear the whole situation with course director, its what they do best!   

Having taken the course two years ago - I am really happy they changed it, that was perhaps the worst course I have taken.

If you really don't think you can pull off a 79.5 in the course (expect a bell curve, I know they did for all sections), drop it but make sure to take an extra course in winter. 

Seems like you did the best you can do. Not surprised hear the whole situation with course director, its what they do best!   

Deadline passed on the 12th :( I'm sorry buddy.... Pray for a bell curve! 

• 2 weeks later...

Haha this thread is still going. I remember trolling this way back in 2009.

if you need a bell curve to get by at york... wew lad.

This is not nice or productive. The shift from high school to university can be difficult for some. The person who is posting about the computers course looks to be in first year and their first semester. As easy as York may be, it is still a university. I understand that you may be trying to prepare the student for the reality of how difficult professional school (medical school) may be, but I don't feel that this is a proper way to do it. Please try to understand that everyone has strengths and weaknesses. The student may be excelling in their other classes, and only finds this one difficult. This is a reality in life. To the above student I wish success! Only from stress and hardship can resilience come!

On another note: Back to exam studying! Good luck to all students studying for exams!