Premed 101 Forums

Are you a Yorkie Premed? (York Premed Discussion)

charmer08

Are you a Yorkie?  

205 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a Yorkie?

• Yes
    • No

Are you sure about not being able to take PHYS1420 if you take Grade 12 Physics? 

SC/PHYS 1420 6.00   Physics with Applications to Life Sciences

A survey of physics in which many fundamental concepts are emphasized through applications to the life sciences. Topics include kinematics, dynamics, momentum and energy for linear and rotational motion; elementary kinetic theory and thermodynamics; static and current electricity; waves and physical and geometrical optics; elements of modern physics. This is a calculus-based course recommended for students unlikely to take 2000-level Physics courses. It includes a three-hour laboratory component, normally in alternating weeks. Prerequisites: 12U Physics or OAC Physics

Very surprised. All my friends who took Phys 1420 said it was easier and it was a replacement/alternative for Physics 12U. 

Ill have to double check on that one though

The first year chem department at York is a joke. Now that I have finished both CHEM 1000 and CHEM 1001 I can wholeheartedly say that they are ridiculously unfair in their marking, more so for CHEM 1001 I found. I submitted 2 out of my 3 quizzes for remarking and I was still not completely satisfied with the remarking. Some might say it is simply my opinion that the marking is unfair, so I'd like some support of any one else has encountered similar problems. Also, one question on my exam was given 1.5/6 FOR NO REASON. I got it changed and that boosted my final grade by one letter. Yes, I am glad that they changed it. No, I am not glad that I had to actively complain to get them to give me the mark that I worked for. That is all for my rant.

Agreed. 1001's marking was brutal!

I clearly wrote the right answer, TA just crosses it, writes something COMPLETELY wrong on top of it, and gives me a 0. Some TA's just amaze me... Luckily Ifa was awesome and gave me my marks :/ 

Who did you have btw?

@bruhh: what are you using to study for the MCAT? I just ordered EK and Kaplan's books. I have all the stuff for the 2014 mcat to look at as well (a friend gave them to me). Concerned about the lack of full length practice tests.

I'm using EK for everything, but I will also be using Kaplan biochem and Princeton Psyc in addition to EK's biochem/psyc. I have the old EK101 and TPR VR workbook as well.

I wish there was more new CARS practice material but I think the old stuff will suffice for now.

I'm using EK for everything, but I will also be using Kaplan biochem and Princeton Psyc in addition to EK's biochem/psyc. I have the old EK101 and TPR VR workbook as well.

I wish there was more new CARS practice material but I think the old stuff will suffice for now.

When are you writing? Im scheduled for Aug 5. I wanted to write earlier, but my brother is getting married in July and Indian weddings are so =/

When are you writing? Im scheduled for Aug 5. I wanted to write earlier, but my brother is getting married in July and Indian weddings are so =/

Haha congrats to you/your brother! What's wrong with Indian weddings? They look like so much fun I've always wanted to go to one

Haha congrats to you/your brother! What's wrong with Indian weddings? They look like so much fun I've always wanted to go to one

Its like a month long affair with lots of people and even more noise. I usually skip weddings, but apparently i'm the best man so yeah.

This is kinda silly but does anyone know for AAMC ,when calculating the BCPM gpa (sGPA) if Calculus can be omitted since it's called "Math. for the Life and Social Sciences". I didn't do so well so I was hoping they'd see Social Science and exclude it :P does anyone know of someone omitting a science course for their app, I've heard that they're lenient when it comes to including courses that aren't strictly listed but what about the other way around ? Thanks

Meh, I'll try to knick a date if i feel like I did poorly.

tbh no matter what you'll feel awful about the MCAT afterwards but don't be discouraged and believe in yourself. I remember after the MCAT I just wanted to throw up and break stuff and for 30 days I was sitting in bed depressed at what a failure I was for fucking up but I ended up doing well so don't go by the emotions post-test. That's why imo the option to void at the end is one of the most evil things ever because I really wanted to void it and if I had, I would've voided a great score.

tbh no matter what you'll feel awful about the MCAT afterwards but don't be discouraged and believe in yourself. I remember after the MCAT I just wanted to throw up and break stuff and for 30 days I was sitting in bed depressed at what a failure I was for fucking up but I ended up doing well so don't go by the emotions post-test. That's why imo the option to void at the end is one of the most evil things ever because I really wanted to void it and if I had, I would've voided a great score.

I ended up moving my date to early September. I figured I'm better off having 1 good go at it than expecting to do poorly.

I ended up moving my date to early September. I figured I'm better off having 1 good go at it than expecting to do poorly.

Nice. That's exactly why I'm doing it in September. Either go hard or go home! Treat the MCAT as if you can never take it then you can prepare to destroy it once and for all.

Nice. That's exactly why I'm doing it in September. Either go hard or go home! Treat the MCAT as if you can never take it then you can prepare to destroy it once and for all.

Yup. I don't mind not knowing my score when I apply. We have no idea what cut offs will be like so we're applying broadly either way. Feel more motivated to study for it now, not sure why lol

Hey!  this may be off tangent but the psyc program at york has this weird limit on how many psychology courses I can take. It works out that I will need 9 upper year non-psyc credits to graduate. I have looked into some kine courses & I know a few that are taking some English courses, but I wanted to know if anyone here had this issue and can recommend any interesting course or share what courses they took? My problem is the prerequisites, I dont have much room nor do I want to take many first year classes... 

Thanks!