Premed 101 Forums

Are you a Yorkie Premed? (York Premed Discussion)

charmer08

Are you a Yorkie?  

205 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a Yorkie?

• Yes
    • No

I'm pretty sure you have to recognize the promoter elements. Otherwise the question would be too each to answer :D

Lol yeah that's why I was asking... but it's like each promoter is at an arbitrary length from the actual initiation site, would you just find the TATAAT, count 10 from the first T and assume you start transcribing from there? It's even worse if it was eukaryotic (prokaryots don't have splice sites right?) because those have variable lengths

Damn I've forgotten most of this stuff. lol. Been too long :D But yea I think TATAA was one of the fill in the blanks for that question. There is also CAAT. Make sure you know your 3' 5' directions.

and GC box

I think there was a question on the poisons of ETC, MPP (parkinson), different confirmations of ATP synthase, R&T states for phosphorylase (again these might have been on the midterm and not final but worth a look over anyways)

Damn I've forgotten most of this stuff. lol. Been too long :D But yea I think TATAA was one of the fill in the blanks for that question. There is also CAAT. Make sure you know your 3' 5' directions.

and GC box

Haha thanks mate

I just hope he doesn't throw anything stupid in the translating thing.... I don't think you could actually deduce the start site from where the promoter is, he'd probably just tell you where to start and it's easy from there

"I won't require you to give the sequence of entire mRNA, that would be 100s of base pairs long. I will only ask for the open reading frame region."

So we're good right? We just translate the template to mRNA, remove the introns (GU-AG) and then translate to proteins right?

Yeah I guess so

BTW "open readin frame" means the place where transcription starts from right?

LOL I shoulda gone to class/listened to his lectures I know nothing outside of the slides

Yeah I guess so

BTW "open readin frame" means the place where transcription starts from right?

LOL I shoulda gone to class/listened to his lectures I know nothing outside of the slides

yep, he did the promoter part for us basically.

Do you know if the amino acid is translated off the codon or the anticodon? I think its the codon but im not sure.

Anyone here take biol 3051 w/Phillip Johnson or immuno with da sylva if you guys did how were their exams?

On a side note, maximus I cant send you messages from some reason but the majority of the newer notes include extra detail from like stuff birot and wu talked about and also textbook material. Let me send you the muscle physio it has more material, I didnt put that much detail into blood because im taking immuno right now and majority of the stuff overlaps lol.

Any easy, no assignments, exam-only, non-Psyc courses next semester?

PSYC 2230: Motivation w/Marchese - 45% midterm 55% final

PSYC 2120: Social Psychology w/Struthers -30% midterm, another 30% midterm and 40 % final

both taken this semester but i think they are offered next semester as well and both are non-cumulative (except lectures are cumulative for doc psych, but txt material is not) so they were quite easy :)