Premed 101 Forums

Are you a Yorkie Premed? (York Premed Discussion)

charmer08

Are you a Yorkie?  

205 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a Yorkie?

• Yes
    • No

The course consists of in-class assignments, written assignments, a midterm and an exam. It may sound like a lot of work, but it really isn't. The assignments are straightforward and as long as you don't cram for the midterm/exam, its definitely possible to get an A/A+.

Honestly, I wouldn't say the course is a bird course as claimed by a lot of people. Your grade in the course is going to be determined by the effort you put into it. I'd say it is a fair course overall, as long as you do the work and study; you will be fine -as there are no tricks or surprises compared to a course like chemistry!

My exam is in a couple of days, are the exam review questions all you need to know?

My exam is in a couple of days, are the exam review questions all you need to know?

Yup, that is all you need to know, there are no tricks, but you need to know those questions inside out!

Also, sometimes she switches it around to that the answers to the questions are phrased as the question (if that made any sense lol), so make sure you don't just memorize the answers.

The format for a lot of the questions is "Which of the following is not true in regards to _______" or "which of the following is true in regards to ______"

Yup, that is all you need to know, there are no tricks, but you need to know those questions inside out!

Also, sometimes she switches it around to that the answers to the questions are phrased as the question (if that made any sense lol), so make sure you don't just memorize the answers.

The format for a lot of the questions is "Which of the following is not true in regards to _______" or "which of the following is true in regards to ______"

Thanks! Does she make you do any sort of calculations?

Np! not that I remember, also we didn't use a calculator, so if there are calculations it must have been pretty small (though I doubt we did)

Awesome. Did you have to study for too long? I want an A+ but have to plan accordingly since my exam schedule sucks.

Do you have the answers for the questions by any chance?

Hey Legion do you remember the SA question for the final for biochem? Did he make you guys splice the mRNA and then recognize start/stop codons and then make you choose the proteins? Its probably been too long but I'd appreciate it.

I think that's exactly what it was. You should be fine if you studied. Now when I think about it, it wasn't a horrible exam. It was just cumulative and that probably was the reason it looked more difficult compared to the midterms. I remember a MC question that pi$$ed me off. It had something to do with phosphates. There were a bunch of molecules (structures) as options. I don't remember the exact question but I think it had something to do with phosphate group bonding.

I'm taking advanced next semester :D I was hoping he's teaching but apparently not.

I think that's exactly what it was. You should be fine if you studied. Now when I think about it, it wasn't a horrible exam. It was just cumulative and that probably was the reason it looked more difficult compared to the midterms. I remember a MC question that pi$$ed me off. It had something to do with phosphates. There were a bunch of molecules (structures) as options. I don't remember the exact question but I think it had something to do with phosphate group bonding.

I'm taking advanced next semester :D I was hoping he's teaching but apparently not.

So would he expect us to know the sequences to random promoters

like the -10 promoter is TATAAT

Also, for upstream promoters (anything in the -ve range), that means they're actually transcribed once RNA polymerase comes around right?

I just want to get the SA right since its like 25% of our mark. So it seems like its a pretty complex SA question. He said hes going to have fill in the blanks as well, do you happen to remember anything on that?

Hmm, the phosphate question might have something to so with the 5' end of mRNA since its phophorylated.

Good luck in advanced lol!

I just want to get the SA right since its like 25% of our mark. So it seems like its a pretty complex SA question. He said hes going to have fill in the blanks as well, do you happen to remember anything on that?

Hmm, the phosphate question might have something to so with the 5' end of mRNA since its phophorylated.

Good luck in advanced lol!

WTF!!!

What's the mark breakdown? I thought it was 25mc old stuff, 25 mc new stuff and 8 short answer?

So would he expect us to know the sequences to random promoters

like the -10 promoter is TATAAT

Also, for upstream promoters (anything in the -ve range), that means they're actually transcribed once RNA polymerase comes around right?

I think he kinda went into it during the review lecture. I was listening to it and I think hes going to give us a double stranded DNA and we have to get the mRNA from the template strand. Then we remove the introns (through splicing) and get the mature mRNA. Then we just recogninze start/stop codons to get the protein sequence. He mentioned something about the N-terminus being on the 5' end and the carboxyl terminus on the 3' end. I think the fill-in-the-blank will have something to do with the TATA box i guess.

EDIT:

50% Part 3 (12 MC + 12 marks for structure and fill in the blanks)

25% Part 2 (12 MC)

25% Part 1 (12 MC)

So he said he was going to round up to about 50 points total with 12 being in the SA.

I think he kinda went into it during the review lecture. I was listening to it and I think hes going to give us a double stranded DNA and we have to get the mRNA from the template strand. Then we remove the introns (through splicing) and get the mature mRNA. Then we just recogninze start/stop codons to get the protein sequence. He mentioned something about the N-terminus being on the 5' end and the carboxyl terminus on the 3' end. I think the fill-in-the-blank will have something to do with the TATA box i guess.

EDIT:

50% Part 3 (12 MC + 12 marks for structure and fill in the blanks)

25% Part 2 (12 MC)

25% Part 1 (12 MC)

So he said he was going to round up to about 50 points total with 12 being in the SA.

Well yeah the 5' end would be the N terminus since ribosome binds the 5' cap first and the peptide is bound to the tRNA by the carboxyl end, making the N terminus the first thing that protrudes

and thanks for the heads up, we have to learn to draw the AT/GC pairs right?

Well yeah the 5' end would be the N terminus since ribosome binds the 5' cap first and the peptide is bound to the tRNA by the carboxyl end, making the N terminus the first thing that protrudes

and thanks for the heads up, we have to learn to draw the AT/GC pairs right?

Yup and np. I won't have much time to study but I think I can get a 70ish