Premed 101 Forums

Cutoffs before invites go out

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well that's good news to say the least. But they don't know what I'm doing in fourth year. Do they find out at the interview or something?

Ah, for some reason I thought you had graduated. But regardless, they do offer interviews to people who have met the GPA cutoff for just 1 yr, maybe they do the same thing with the 3/5 rule?

Ah, for some reason I thought you had graduated. But regardless, they do offer interviews to people who have met the GPA cutoff for just 1 yr, maybe they do the same thing with the 3/5 rule?

Hahaha. I got really excited for a bit. I guess we will find out tomorrow. I hope you're right. Thanks for the answers though.

I am confused: When they say 3.7 in your two best years, do you HAVE to have 3.70 in each of those two years, or does the AVERAGE of the two years have to be 3.70?

In other words, my 1st year GPA was 3.63 and my 3rd year GPA was 3.91. This roughly equates to an average of 3.77 (which is above 3.70 in 2 best years).

I received a 34S on my MCAT (Verbal 10, Physics 14, Bio 10), and I am SWOMEN.

Does this mean I got an interview?

Guest bigfish

you will get an interview, but an acceptance will be conditional on this year being above 3.7. EACH of your years gotta be above 3.70. y u no read the website?

I am confused: When they say 3.7 in your two best years, do you HAVE to have 3.70 in each of those two years, or does the AVERAGE of the two years have to be 3.70?

In other words, my 1st year GPA was 3.63 and my 3rd year GPA was 3.91. This roughly equates to an average of 3.77 (which is above 3.70 in 2 best years).

You have to reach 3.7 in EACH of your best two years. But since you're still in 4th year, you will probably be granted an interview and admission will be pending upon your GPA for this year.

You have to reach 3.7 in EACH of your best two years. But since you're still in 4th year, you will probably be granted an interview and admission will be pending upon your GPA for this year.

Is there a specific reason you think I will be granted an interview despite this GPA issue? In other words, do you think I would get an interview because of the MCAT score, or because of my SWOMEN eligibility? Sorry if I seem to be questioning your thought, I am just anxious, because if I don't get an interview I need to start planning for an alternate career, and deadlines for other programs are quickly approaching.

Is there a specific reason you think I will be granted an interview despite this GPA issue? In other words, do you think I would get an interview because of the MCAT score, or because of my SWOMEN eligibility? Sorry if I seem to be questioning your thought, I am just anxious, because if I don't get an interview I need to start planning for an alternate career, and deadlines for other programs are quickly approaching.

You're granted an interview b/c you have to meet cutoffs in your best two years. That includes this current year. So you are still considered eligible pending your final marks.

Don't freak out! It's any 4-year degree with sufficient upper level credits. As per their website (http://www.schulich.uwo.ca/admissions/medicine/requirementsfaq):

"*Honours degree or equivalent: applicants must have taken sufficient senior-level courses during the second, third, and fourth year of their 4-year program to enable them to be eligible for admission into a graduate (Master’s Degree) program."

Ok - I'm second guessing my own advice. So I'm hoping someone who has first hand experience can confirm this. Is a Major (well exceeding the requirement of upper level classes) included under "Honours degree or equivalent"?

I'm eligible for grad school, so I meet their explicit criteria. Regardless, I think the lack of any emails from Western has put me a little on edge.

Many thanks and good luck everyone!

Ok - I'm second guessing my own advice. So I'm hoping someone who has first hand experience can confirm this. Is a Major (well exceeding the requirement of upper level classes) included under "Honours degree or equivalent"?

I'm eligible for grad school, so I meet their explicit criteria. Regardless, I think the lack of any emails from Western has put me a little on edge.

Many thanks and good luck everyone!

At least someone else has this fear too... Let's hold hands and hope together :)

Congrats to everyone that meets cut offs! I expected the VR 11 but I like the drop in the Writing section. It means that they're putting less emphasis on the most useless part of the MCAT.

Western's not for me this cycle, but I hope to meet rmorelan someday. He's just way too cool :D

You have to reach the cut off in each of the two years - however I should ask what year are you in right now(4th?). There still is conditional acceptance policies which would allow you to potentially get an interview still.

You would get an interview due to conditional acceptance rules. This is a standard policy at Western :)

Archived