Premed 101 Forums

Cutoffs before invites go out

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply
At least the interview criteria aren't vague, in contrast to almost all other Canadian medical schools. I really appreciate Western's effort to make this process as transparent as possible for applicants

I really do like that as well. I think it's one of the only schools that is so transparent. Queen's USED to be transparent... not anymore apparently.

How does Western assess ECs in selecting which applicants to interview? Or is it just GPA & MCAT scores that determines whether or not an applicant receives an interview invite?

Western does not assess the extracurriculars pre-interview...

The criteria are fairly simple... meet GPA requirement in 2 of your 4 years of undergrad... have 3/5 courses correspond to your year in university... have an honors degree... meet the MCAT requirements... get an interview.

Your ECs will come up in the interview most likely which is a perceived large portion of your total score they calculate for admissions.

Ideally if you meet the cutoffs and have a fairly good interview... chances of being accepted are high. Or so I've been told...

Darn, I'm not in the video! Oh well - I'm a pretty stealth person anyways.

Hang in there folks :) In some ways, this part is more stressful than the actual interview trail.

I can't hardly wait for interviews in Canada... specifically at Schulich. I'm excited to see what kind of video you put together... (assuming I get an interview)

I can't hardly wait for interviews in Canada... specifically at Schulich. I'm excited to see what kind of video you put together... (assuming I get an interview)

Well, we have our best and brightest 2015s working on it, so I am confident that it will impress. I am excited to see it myself, actually.

I am by far the least important part of that video :)

Respect:cool: I saw quite a few people in that video from my class last year.

On a side note, the transparency of UWO's admissions is truly admirable. The only thing I dislike is the waiting time...way too tense! However I'm sure their dedication to a thorough scan of the applications will be for the better in the end.

Western does not assess the extracurriculars pre-interview...

The criteria are fairly simple... meet GPA requirement in 2 of your 4 years of undergrad... have 3/5 courses correspond to your year in university... have an honors degree... meet the MCAT requirements... get an interview.

Your ECs will come up in the interview most likely which is a perceived large portion of your total score they calculate for admissions.

Ideally if you meet the cutoffs and have a fairly good interview... chances of being accepted are high. Or so I've been told...

Hm so if you don't have an honours degree, you won't get an interview at Western?? For sure?

Hm so if you don't have an honours degree, you won't get an interview at Western?? For sure?

The first review of applicant information takes into account the candidate’s academic history and performance: completion of honours degree; GPA in 2 best years; and MCAT scores.

Yes, it's one of their program prerequisites

From: http://www.schulich.uwo.ca/admissions/medicine/requirements

"Applicants to the Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry’s Undergraduate MD program are considered on a number of levels. The first review of applicant information takes into account the candidate’s academic history and performance: completion of honours degree; GPA in 2 best years; and MCAT scores.

For applicants from outside Southwestern Ontario, the MCAT minimums for the 2010-11 application cycle are as follows:

Biological Sciences: 10

Physical Sciences: 9

Verbal Reasoning: 11

Writing Sample: P

The minimum GPA is 3.70"

Yes, you need an honors degree. As in, any 4 year degree I believe. It doesn't have to say Honors Bachelors of Arts necessarily. Just as long as you meet the GPA requirements and it is a 4 year degree... I think.

Maybe Rmorelan can chime in on this one.

From: http://www.schulich.uwo.ca/admissions/medicine/requirements

"Applicants to the Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry’s Undergraduate MD program are considered on a number of levels. The first review of applicant information takes into account the candidate’s academic history and performance: completion of honours degree; GPA in 2 best years; and MCAT scores.

For applicants from outside Southwestern Ontario, the MCAT minimums for the 2010-11 application cycle are as follows:

Biological Sciences: 10

Physical Sciences: 9

Verbal Reasoning: 11

Writing Sample: P

The minimum GPA is 3.70"

Yes, you need an honors degree. As in, any 4 year degree I believe. It doesn't have to say Honors Bachelors of Arts necessarily. Just as long as you meet the GPA requirements and it is a 4 year degree... I think.

Maybe Rmorelan can chime in on this one.

Sorry let me just clarify... in my school honours means you've completed a majors program and then went on to do several more credits' worth of research and have a thesis. I'm asking if that is necessary or is it just a four year degree.

From the website: *Honours degree or equivalent: applicants must have taken sufficient senior-level courses during the second, third, and fourth year of their 4-year program to enable them to be eligible for admission into a graduate (Master’s Degree) program.

Not all graduate programs require an honours...

The nature of my program actually restricted me completing an honours thesis. The option just wasn't available. I have upper level courses though, some of them actually at the graduate level. I hope that's enough?

Don't freak out! It's any 4-year degree with sufficient upper level credits. As per their website (http://www.schulich.uwo.ca/admissions/medicine/requirementsfaq):

"*Honours degree or equivalent: applicants must have taken sufficient senior-level courses during the second, third, and fourth year of their 4-year program to enable them to be eligible for admission into a graduate (Master’s Degree) program."

I really like the success rates of UWO. I say this because, if you have the cutoff, you will most likely be invited = 450 applicants.

Over 200 of these people get accepted (based on expected class size).

50% success rate as long as you meet cutoff is pretty decent! Damn, should have applied this year.

Don't freak out! It's any 4-year degree with sufficient upper level credits. As per their website (http://www.schulich.uwo.ca/admissions/medicine/requirementsfaq):

"*Honours degree or equivalent: applicants must have taken sufficient senior-level courses during the second, third, and fourth year of their 4-year program to enable them to be eligible for admission into a graduate (Master’s Degree) program."

All graduate programs require an Honours degree, no?

Archived