Premed 101 Forums

Cutoffs before invites go out

I got a Queen's rejection too. That's primarily why I'm all neurotic right now. I just hope something doesn't go wrong at UWO/Western or whatever it is that they're calling it these days hahaha.

I'm confident in my ability to interview, I'm 4 for 4 in the US... but the waiting game is killing me right now.

Le sigh, I know it will be fine. Maybe I should take a few shots of something... If I wasn't sick and in bed, I'd probably be out for drinks right now. Being cooped up all day in bed lends to neuroticism... and the refresh button haahha

Good luck to you as well!!! Hope to see you around here :)

May I ask what your stats are DeeDoc as well as the US schools you've been accepted at... that is if you don't mind posting.

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply
dassy, my fingers are crossed for you!

Awww thanks :D Not doing so great with 3 rejections in a row...but I'm trying to stay hopeful. All you guys on here really really help :) Especially since my boyfriend has become tired/bored of my incessant talking about med schools and guessing when I'll hear back.

May ask what your stats are DeeDoc as well as the US schools you've been accepted at... that is if you don't mind posting.

I was just going to ask this! I tried to stalk your posts, but there are just wayyy to many lol

May I ask what your stats are DeeDoc as well as the US schools you've been accepted at... that is if you don't mind posting.

Awww thanks :D Not doing so great with 3 rejections in a row...but I'm trying to stay hopeful. All you guys on here really really help :) Especially since my boyfriend has become tired/bored of my incessant talking about med schools and guessing when I'll hear back.

I was just going to ask this! I tried to stalk your posts, but there are just wayyy to many lol

If I post what schools, I will be giving my identity away to other people I know that use/read these boards :)

The schools are well respected (or so I hear), and I got into one top 10, the rest are top 50 according to the USnews ranking. The USnews ranking is completely bogus though.

My American converted GPA is 4.0, my Canadian cGPA is 3.89, my best two years as UWO calculates would be a 3.95 and a 3.9.

My MCAT is >36 and with a 12 in verbal.

If I post what schools, I will be giving my identity away to other people I know that use/read these boards :)

The schools are well respected (or so I hear), and I got into one top 10, the rest are top 50 according to the USnews ranking. The USnews ranking is completely bogus though.

My American converted GPA is 4.0, my Canadian cGPA is 3.89, my best two years as UWO calculates would be a 3.95 and a 3.9.

My MCAT is >36 and with a 12 in verbal.

DeeDoc, you and I aren't in the same league and yet we both got rejected nonsensically by the Q. Hmm, that makes me reaffirm that I have nothing to be pissed at.

But yep, I have no doubt you will get UWO :). Hopefully I do too and maybe I'll see you at or after interviews. :D

I posted elsewhere, but yea, I owe you guys for the cybersupport through these rough days!

DeeDoc, you and I aren't in the same league and yet we both got rejected nonsensically by the Q. Hmm, that makes me reaffirm that I have nothing to be pissed at.

But yep, I have no doubt you will get UWO :). Hopefully I do too and maybe I'll see you at or after interviews. :D

I posted elsewhere, but yea, I owe you guys for the cybersupport through these rough days!

Maaaaan forget the Q. We don't want to live in Kingston anyway!

I hope everyone that truly wants UWO and knows how awesome it is, gets it. There are a ton of people from Toronto that applied to UWO and they don't even know a thing about it. They all want U of T and consider UWO to be lowly...

I bleed purple, all day, erryday!

Maaaaan forget the Q. We don't want to live in Kingston anyway!

I hope everyone that truly wants UWO and knows how awesome it is, gets it. There are a ton of people from Toronto that applied to UWO and they don't even know a thing about it. They all want U of T and consider UWO to be lowly...

I bleed purple, all day, erryday!

Tru-dat! I know a bunch of people who got in last yr and are enjoying the experience so I'm hoping my SWOMEN status helps me out! Looking forward to hearing from Bestern soon...or is it just Western?...I know they changed their name recently...:cool:

Tru-dat! I know a bunch of people who got in last yr and are enjoying the experience so I'm hoping my SWOMEN status helps me out! Looking forward to hearing from Bestern soon...or is it just Western?...I know they changed their name recently...:cool:

Western is the bestern!

ooooor

Western is the breastern! (Lots of girls at UWO ;)

Good morning folks!

Well that's it... there goes my sanity. I'm officially dreaming about Schulich.

The cut offs went up on January 18th last year for a split second and then were taken down for a bit to do site updates or something...

Seeing as how it's January 28th.. I would hope that by Monday they release the cut offs and interviews come out on Friday. UWO/Western adcom gods... pleaseeeeeeeeeeee!

My guess is that VR will remain at 11...that sucks for me. I wish they would jack up their GPA requirements and lower their VR requirement.

I always thought about going to UWO, both for undergrad and med...ah well, hopefully UofT/ottawa/mac will show me some love :) (and hopefully it will be sometime next week!!!!!)

Good morning folks!

Well that's it... there goes my sanity. I'm officially dreaming about Schulich.

The cut offs went up on January 18th last year for a split second and then were taken down for a bit to do site updates or something...

Seeing as how it's January 28th.. I would hope that by Monday they release the cut offs and interviews come out on Friday. UWO/Western adcom gods... pleaseeeeeeeeeeee!

hehehe DeeDoc is losing it :)

I hope it is soon - we started a bit later this year by the way in terms of the new semester (the 9th). Everyone once is a while we roll forward a week due to where Christmas is. Impacts the process a little bit on paper (a week or so) but in terms of premed stress it goes up - hang in there!

They've gotta send it out soon, cuz they need to give ample time for people to book means of travel. Like a flight from Vancouver or something to that effect.

On the other hand, with the SWOMEN policy, I don't think Western is as interested in OOP students as other Ontario schools.

On the other hand, with the SWOMEN policy, I don't think Western is as interested in OOP students as other Ontario schools.

well they aren't holding things up to make things annoying for OOP :) Well actually that would be Non-swomen as I guess there is no advantage outside of the swomen area (similar to Ottawa and NOSM). Any way they are just struggling to process all the applications as quickly yet as accurately as possible. It is a big job. I know this system well enough that there is no hidden bias like that.

At least the 2 interview weekends are to allow for some measure of planning even at this stage. Hopefully they will be out soon :)

well they aren't holding things up to make things annoying for OOP :) Well actually that would be Non-swomen as I guess there is no advantage outside of the swomen area (similar to Ottawa and NOSM). Any way they are just struggling to process all the applications as quickly yet as accurately as possible. It is a big job. I know this system well enough that there is no hidden bias like that.

At least the 2 interview weekends are to allow for some measure of planning even at this stage. Hopefully they will be out soon :)

I would guess the SWOMEN alliance is a particularly strong and important one. Doesn't UWO (WU) get federal funding for helping build up this program? And judging by the reduced MCAT requirement for south-western Ontarians, it looks like they are very committed to this endeavour.

hehehe DeeDoc is losing it :)

I hope it is soon - we started a bit later this year by the way in terms of the new semester (the 9th). Everyone once is a while we roll forward a week due to where Christmas is. Impacts the process a little bit on paper (a week or so) but in terms of premed stress it goes up - hang in there!

Going straight up BONKERS! :eek:

I would guess the SWOMEN alliance is a particularly strong and important one. Doesn't UWO (WU) get federal funding for helping build up this program? And judging by the reduced MCAT requirement for south-western Ontarians, it looks like they are very committed to this endeavour.

Well the thing is... you still need a 30 overall if you're SWOMEN... so for people that have PS - 12, VR - 10, Bio - 12... they're not excluded.

They are definitely committed to this program. Hence why they built a beautiful satellite campus in Windsor.

Well they are quite committed to it of course and last time I checked things about 1/3 of the class was from the swomen area.

I have never heard of any federal funding though for this - education and health are both provincial responsibilities but it is possible there is a program I am missing.

I will say this partnership is a two way street - we need the other hospitals in the swomen area as stations to train our residents and clerks, and ultimately those communities want our doctors. We have one satellite campus for all 4 years and shortly may have others for the full ckerkship year. We opened those not because of swomen directly as I understand it but for the same reasons Mac and other schools have. We are at full capacity in London for students and cannot take anymore here - the classrooms etc would be well beyond capacity in London if we tried to put 170 of us in the room, and even more importantly there would be no place for the clerks to train in years 3 and 4. There is also our rural weeks as well. We had no choice really to create another site elsewhere :) Anyway even without SWOMEN we would have had to expand.

Well the thing is... you still need a 30 overall if you're SWOMEN... so for people that have PS - 12, VR - 10, Bio - 12... they're not excluded.

They are definitely committed to this program. Hence why they built a beautiful satellite campus in Windsor.

That's true - it isn't like you only need 24 on the MCAT to get an interview :)

last year it was Feb 4 if I recall for the invites. They did post the cut offs earlier though. I remember they though that would reduce tension but they got a lot of people still asking about things.

This isn't making it any better... hahahaha

I mean if they release the cut offs, what's the harm in that?

I'm sure they're getting phone calls like crazy already.

This isn't making it any better... hahahaha

I mean if they release the cut offs, what's the harm in that?

I'm sure they're getting phone calls like crazy already.

I think they then get a pile of calls about the 3/5 rule, and then the coop people call, and then the duel degree people call. Calling isn't the problem but the office cannot really answer anything until the invites really go out. The calls tend to really shut down if you actually tell everyone they either got in or not - or at least the calls become something you can answer.

Not saying it is good either way of course - Last year was odd in how early the cut offs where released compared to the full invites.

Every med student remembers this phase - the endless exhausting waiting for everything. Fortunately it will soon be over :)

I think they then get a pile of calls about the 3/5 rule, and then the coop people call, and then the duel degree people call. Calling isn't the problem but the office cannot really answer anything until the invites really go out. The calls tend to really shut down if you actually tell everyone they either got in or not - or at least the calls become something you can answer.

Not saying it is good either way of course - Last year was odd in how early the cut offs where released compared to the full invites.

Every med student remembers this phase - the endless exhausting waiting for everything. Fortunately it will soon be over :)

Oh haha!! Funny you mention these people types - I fit into "coop" (which is what UWO told me to choose for my program despite it having a 3rd year clinical only) and dual degree.

For this very reason, I would rather just see the invite email lest I lose sleep thinking "I meet the cutoffs, but what if they don't like my degree type" -_-

Archived