Premed 101 Forums

Cutoffs before invites go out

At least someone else has this fear too... Let's hold hands and hope together :)

The big question generally is does your degree allow you to pursue graduate work. If so it is equivalent to an honours degree. Almost any standard 4 year degree would do that. It is kind of hard not to get that requirement and graduate with anything normally recognized :)

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, you guys would know better. For first year all my courses were at the 1000 level. For both second year and third year only 5 out of 10 courses were at the level of the year or higher. For fouth year, 6 out of 10 courses are 3000 or higher.

I could have met the rule during the third year, but I ended up taking 2 second year chemistry courses to keep my doors open. And they were hard lol. But thanks for offering to look over them :)

Ok but what about conditional acceptance rules? What was your GPA in first year?

Man, with that Kermit on scooter picture, I expected that you would look a bit different. You look like a very respectable doctor in that video, though. Kermit is quite a good speaker, too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8YhED4IgQA&list=LLZNdxSKiDxYdCPHF3HwtYbA&index=2&feature=plpp_video

ha - Kermit is indeed an awesome speaker! Not sure what you are expecting - I have been described as very "kermit" like in real life actually.

and of course all of us do clean up well - after it is part of the job ;)

Ok but what about conditional acceptance rules? What was your GPA in first year?

Sorry I should have been clearer. So you know the level of the courses I took now. For GPA, it was above 3.9 for every year and I expect it to stay like that for the current (fourth) year. Would a conditional acceptance based on my first year be possible? (As in I would have to meet the 3/5 rule and GPA cut off in fourth year)

Sorry I should have been clearer. So you know the level of the courses I took now. For GPA, it was above 3.9 for every year and I expect it to stay like that for the current (fourth) year. Would a conditional acceptance based on my first year be possible? (As in I would have to meet the 3/5 rule and GPA cut off in fourth year)

Yes in principle it would - if as you say you hit the 3/5 and GPA requirement this year :)

Thank you rmorelan. I appreciate your help. Hopefully everyone who has been waiting gets good news tomorrow.

Hopefully! Traditionally there has been a bit of a lag between the two (cut off and invite release) but that may mean nothing this time as we are already a bit along :)

Getting closer everyone! One month until first interviews - as always I am very excited! I know the 2015 are working hard on things, and we are making sure they have even more support than ever before. It is going to be awesome to welcome everyone to our school!

mega stress on this point - it is honours or equivalent. That sounds vague but it really rarely is an issue.

What is your degree in?

I'm going to be getting a B.A.Sc., and my degree requirements pretty much dictate that I have to take half my courses from arts and half from sciences. This means that the "science major" half of my degree was a truncated version of the one available to full science students. So I have upper year courses, but not as many, credit wise, as I would have. In its place the arts half of my degree fills in with another speciality.

I know there are lots of graduate programs I could apply to - quite a few science based ones, pretty much every arts based one, and many specifically integrative ones. However, I've been told that students in our programs will occasionally run into issues. I haven't researched grad schools too extensively so I don't have a specific example, but I know it has something to do with credit hours - we're a little thin on the science side compared to full science students. This year I've taken two graduate-level courses in order to challenge myself, but I don't know what Western's criteria really is...

Edit: I mean if you look at the nature of the degree I'm getting, it's four years of integration. It's obviously not going to be the same as four years in pure science. But it is without a doubt a four year program.

Thanks for your help so far rmorelan!

EDIT:In case anybody in the future digs up this thread worrying over the exact same problem... I did get an interview invite with no problem. So B.A.Scers, you're fine. :)

I'm going to be getting a B.A.Sc., and my degree requirements pretty much dictate that I have to take half my courses from arts and half from sciences. This means that the "science major" half of my degree was a truncated version of the one available to full science students. So I have upper year courses, but not as many, credit wise, as I would have. In its place the arts half of my degree fills in with another speciality.

I know there are lots of graduate programs I could apply to - quite a few science based ones, pretty much every arts based one, and many specifically integrative ones. However, I've been told that students in our programs will occasionally run into issues. I haven't researched grad schools too extensively so I don't have a specific example, but I know it has something to do with credit hours - we're a little thin on the science side compared to full science students. This year I've taken two graduate-level courses in order to challenge myself, but I don't know what Western's criteria really is...

Edit: I mean if you look at the nature of the degree I'm getting, it's four years of integration. It's obviously not going to be the same as four years in pure science. But it is without a doubt a four year program.

Thanks for your help so far rmorelan!

Lets turn the question a bit - does your school consider that degree something that would let you go on to graduate work. How about even at that particular school itself?

Looks like last year the interviews went out on Feb 4th at 1:30pm approx.

Apparently they were sent in batches... hopefully they come out today :)

Last year my actual invite came 3 days later but I could log on to the booking system on the 4th. It was very strange, I think it might have been a glitch.

Hoping that today is the day :)

Yeah, we're P/F on the transcript, but we still get to see our marks. Personally I won't believe I really passed until I see that P. It's because my pre-med anal-ness hasn't worn off all the way yet.

Just like some won't believe the acceptance is coming even. Of course you do need to be careful, that is obvious, but you can determine your status :)

Yeah, we're P/F on the transcript, but we still get to see our marks. Personally I won't believe I really passed until I see that P. It's because my pre-med anal-ness hasn't worn off all the way yet.

Wow that seems great, what grade do you need to pass? Do a lot of people actually fail?

Archived