• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. Invited

2. In-province

3. Definitely Mature, graduated 1999 and then finished Master's in 2003

4. 3.33

5. Verbal: 13

6. Last year I thought I had Casper nailed, but obviously not. This year I spent more time thinking and less time typing (bullet points) which obviously was a good strategy.

1. Invited (3:06pm)

2. Geographical Status: London, Ontario

3. Category: Graduated June 2010

4. cGPA: 3.76

5. Verbal: 9

6. Other Comments:

Don't give up yet... honestly, chase your dreams, up until this point I was feeling pretty overwhelmed with the gpa's and MCAT scores that I've seen... this is my first invite in this application cycle! CASPER .. is not so much something you prepare for, but something life experience/EC's help you handle :). I am super grateful to all of those who helped me reach this point, also, thanks for the support PM101!

I'm sorry if someone asked this earlier, but could no news mean waitlist or second round of acceptances? thread of hope...:(

It was posted a few posts ahead, quoted directly from the Mac office that all invites were sent out today. Which means only one thing, no email today = rejection.

BIG SURPRISE HERE GUYS:

1. Invited @ 3:01 PM

2. Geographical Status: Brampton, Ontario

3. Category: Hon B.Sc. 2009, Hon. B.Sc. in MRS (2012, ip)

4. cGPA: 3.36 - NOT A TYPO

5. Verbal: 11

6. Other Comments: I don't have words to express my gratitude to the world, life, PM101, and Mac.

I felt good about Casper, but with a cGPA as low as mine, I didn't have all that much hope.

To anyone who feels horrible, please understand that I have worked hard since my bad years in undergrad and kept very strong ECs.

All the best everyone and stay true, stay humble, stay driven and hungry to give it your best try.

And now for the biggest of the challenges, the MMI.

BIG SURPRISE HERE GUYS:

6. Other Comments: I don't have words to express my gratitude to the world, life, PM101, and Mac.

I felt good about Casper, but with a cGPA as low as mine, I didn't have all that much hope.

To anyone who feels horrible, please understand that I have worked hard since my bad years in undergrad and kept very strong ECs.

All the best everyone and stay true, stay humble, stay driven and hungry to give it your best try.

congrats, but there's no need to rub it in people's face...

Pardon me, but last year it was a post by someone with a cGPA of 3.44 or so that gave me strength to carry on.

I'm not rubbing anything in anyone's face. I have a right to let people see that a low cGPA is not the end of the world.

Hope you develop a better attitude. But, just to make you happy, I will edit my original post to not offend you.

BIG SURPRISE HERE GUYS:

This sounds awesome, good for you man and I hope everyone's dreams end up where they people want them to! I didn't get an email, making Mac my 4th rejection-everything is riding on UWO!:D

for those interested,

5th yr post bac, Hons BsC '11

GPA 3.80

Verbal 9

Casper: what can I say?

Thanks Der Kaiser & A Second Daniel.

If anyone read my post, I did indicate "stay humble". I did that on purpose. I'm simply hoping others in my position draw strength and give things their best shot.

Nevertheless, I have modified the font size for the opening of my previous post. No offense intended to anyone.

Appleman - Congrats on the invite and all the best for your interview. I wish I could make good use of your invite and get motivated, but it's tough when you're applying OOP to be optimistic with a lower GPA for Mac.

A Second Daniel - Good luck with UWO! That's also 0/4 for me this year, with UWO remaining. It was a reach school for me, so there's essentially zero chance I'll receive an interview with them this year.

I really don't think he was rubbing it in people's faces.. he was just very excited and surprised, and it is a testament to people with low gpas who may be questioning their chances with Mac, which is what I believe he wanted to express. No need to flame him here.

Official Regrets (just got my letter today) :(

2. Geographical Status: IP (Northern Ontario)

3. Category: 4th yr

4. GPA: 3.85

5. Verbal: 9

6. Other Comments: Didn't feel like casper went well so I'm not surprised and my verbal score is pretty low. Not a very classy way for Mac to reject their applicants though imo. 2 rejections in one day.. feeling pretty low :(

Congrats to everyone who got an invite! You all deserve it!

I know it's hard not to get down on yourself and I know no one wants to take forum advice (trust me I had 2 rejections and I get it, it feels like someone ate part of your soul).

But find strength in yourself to realize, you made it this far in your life and have accomplished so much, simply because of your pursuit of medicine. If this is your passion, your moment will come... everyone has a schedule like "get in to med school at age 23, get out age 27, marriage kids etc. etc. specialization etc."... forget about the timelines of the future and focus on everything that has brought you this far and don't give up, you only fail if you stop trying and if I know anything about us premed bunch, it's that failing is not an option :).

For what it's worth, I hope that helps anyone who is feeling down about this cycle.

BIG SURPRISE HERE GUYS:

This is very inspiring and I really commend your character in saying 'stay humble'. Wish you all the best in your interviews :)

Rejection (assumption since didn't receive an email today)

IP

8 VR (I know..i was hoping I didn't have to re-write MCAT but oh well)

EC's: lots of research experience, TAing, exec in a couple clubs, and the usual hospital volunteering etc..

- Thought casper went alright but obviously didn't do that well on it..so hopefully it would be better next year :)

Congrats to all the people who got an invite!!

I know it's hard not to get down on yourself and I know no one wants to take forum advice (trust me I had 2 rejections and I get it, it feels like someone ate part of your soul).

But find strength in yourself to realize, you made it this far in your life and have accomplished so much, simply because of your pursuit of medicine. If this is your passion, your moment will come... everyone has a schedule like "get in to med school at age 23, get out age 27, marriage kids etc. etc. specialization etc."... forget about the timelines of the future and focus on everything that has brought you this far and don't give up, you only fail if you stop trying and if I know anything about us premed bunch, it's that failing is not an option :).

For what it's worth, I hope that helps anyone who is feeling down about this cycle.

Thanks Tee88 that is exactly what I needed to hear! Good luck with everything!

Archived