Premed 101 Forums

Countdown to May 15th

thanks! will we know when the wait list moves from high priority to regular? I guess by people's posts?

Dassy - sorry to hear - you are an amazing candidate as are so many people - it seems like sometimes you can't really figure out what makes the whole package.. My gpa for two years was 3.8, 32 mcat... lots of ecs an thought I had a great interview. go figure! really hoping that lots of people want to go to Queen's and Mac and u of T!!

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
thanks! will we know when the wait list moves from high priority to regular? I guess by people's posts?

Dassy - sorry to hear - you are an amazing candidate as are so many people - it seems like sometimes you can't really figure out what makes the whole package.. My gpa for two years was 3.8, 32 mcat... lots of ecs an thought I had a great interview. go figure! really hoping that lots of people want to go to Queen's and Mac and u of T!!

we will know that because people will very likely immediately post about it. That is another one of those big days on the forum actually - when you know we are into the regular wait list.

sorry to be asking so many questions - just trying to find a ray of hope in all of this - I look at all the posts and people have extremely high gpa's who have been accepted. My best 2 years are somewhere around 3.8. Do I need to run off and do a Masters that I don't want to do to raise it? Can I just do some extra courses this year and would they count to raise my gpa? Feeling somewhat hopeless.. did research, volunteering, many many hours of leadership and extracurriculars at Western - happy with my interview (clearly wrong:( )..

And its hard not to be able to ask the adcom's where I went wrong, or what I have to change...

isn't the definition of crazy doing the same thing over again and expecting a different result??

I've got a similar GPA/MCAT as you kidslit and as well as some of the other normal waitlisters (3.84 and 33Q)...it seems like SWOMEns were, in general, either given acceptances or put on the high waitlist. The high waitlist also has very high GPA/MCAT scores for non-swomen. So to me it seems like a pattern that SWOMEN, high GPA and MCAT play a significant role and that how you thought you did in an interview (albeit subjective) really did not have that much of a role.

I may be completely wrong but that's my very subjective and unscientific take on the rankings lol. What do others think?

I've got a similar GPA/MCAT as you kidslit and as well as some of the other normal waitlisters (3.84 and 33Q)...it seems like SWOMEns were, in general, either given acceptances or put on the high waitlist. The high waitlist also has very high GPA/MCAT scores for non-swomen. So to me it seems like a pattern that SWOMEN, high GPA and MCAT play a significant role and that how you thought you did in an interview (albeit subjective) really did not have that much of a role.

I may be completely wrong but that's my very subjective and unscientific take on the rankings lol. What do others think?

it is generally believed that SWOMEN status, GPA and MCAT have an impact (well know know about the SWOMEN thing actually does) but I also know from the past that the interview has a big impact. I have had people with the rock bottom GPA and MCAT get in (non swomen). The interview must have an impact enough to allow that to happen.

I don't know, I was accepted as a non-SWOMEN with a very very similar GPA to yours and the exact same MCAT.

I don't know, I was accepted as a non-SWOMEN with a very very similar GPA to yours and the exact same MCAT.

I agree with you and rmorelan that the interview has a big impact but isn't that only if you perform exceptionally well (which it seems that you did) or exceptionally poor? Realistically, not many can be outstanding because otherwise an outstanding interview would be considered normal. So in fact, the majority of interviewees would have similar scores (as it is so subjective- could an evaluator really describe the differences between two decent interviews that were a few points apart? and even if he could, it would still be only a few points) and then it would really come down to the other factors, ie. GPA, MCAT, SWOMEN status. That's the reason why I made that remark by looking at the generally high stats on the acceptance/waitlist thread posts.

And yes, because I am on the waitlist now, I have gone into time-passing mode by thinking about this in such detail. Please forgive me;)

I agree with you and rmorelan that the interview has a big impact but isn't that only if you perform exceptionally well (which it seems that you did) or exceptionally poor? Realistically, not many can be outstanding because otherwise an outstanding interview would be considered normal. So in fact, the majority of interviewees would have similar scores (as it is so subjective- could an evaluator really describe the differences between two decent interviews that were a few points apart? and even if he could, it would still be only a few points) and then it would really come down to the other factors, ie. GPA, MCAT, SWOMEN status. That's the reason why I made that remark by looking at the generally high stats on the acceptance/waitlist thread posts.

And yes, because I am on the waitlist now, I have gone into time-passing mode by thinking about this in such detail. Please forgive me;)

No worries! Think about these things is good and natural! Some of it always be speculation of course but with everything - GPA, MCAT etc it would seem there are some pretty tight decisions overall. Basically there are a lot of outstanding applicants

I don't know...it seems feasible but I have a hard time believing that just because I felt like my interview went SO poorly. I made the mistake of looking down and saw that the one interviewer had given me 2/5 on three consecutive questions. So that threw me off for the rest of the interview. Yeah, needless to say I don't think my interview was outstanding by any means.

I don't know...it seems feasible but I have a hard time believing that just because I felt like my interview went SO poorly. I made the mistake of looking down and saw that the one interviewer had given me 2/5 on three consecutive questions. So that threw me off for the rest of the interview. Yeah, needless to say I don't think my interview was outstanding by any means.

YIKES! that must have been a steak through your heart lol.... but power to you for getting the last laugh!

Archived