Premed 101 Forums

Books to read before med school.

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations of any books to read before medical school starting? i.e. medical specialties, what to do to get the most out of medical training, how to start thinking about having a competitive residency application....

I did try and google some suggestions at the only book I found was the Ultimate Guide to medical specialties (or something like that).

Any suggestions or recommendations are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Meow

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations of any books to read before medical school starting? i.e. medical specialties, what to do to get the most out of medical training, how to start thinking about having a competitive residency application....

I did try and google some suggestions at the only book I found was the Ultimate Guide to medical specialties (or something like that).

Thanks,

Meow

Relax and enjoy your summer, you will definitively need it as you will have shorter summers once in. It's also too early to look at these things right now.

Yeah, I don't see much point in reading any books about med at this point. I say save your reading times for enjoyable reading and be as care free as possible for the summer. If there was such a book it would probably tell you a bunch of fluff that worked for a couple people, but just like undergrad you'll figure out for yourself how to best get through it.

You've only got a couple truly free summers left, make the most of em.

I wouldn't really worry about it too much because you are missing context this early in the game. That being said, I flipped through the medical residency guide the summer before I started because I thought it was a good resource for planting seeds in my head on what I should be thinking about when looking at specialties and career planning in general, it helped me decide what to ask about when shadowing. Of course you don't have to burden yourself with it this early on, but I found it interesting and relevant as it also addresses some of the questions I had right after acceptance. I recommend it:

http://medical-residency.ca/files/canadian-medical-residency-guide.pdf

Hello everyone,

Thanks,

Meow

Netter's if you have never done anatomy before...I wish I had done that

Hello everyone,

Thanks,

Meow

I second the recommendation for Brian Freeman's book.

We have a faculty member who recommends each medical student reads "House of God" before pre-clerkship, before clerkship, before residency, and after residency.
House of God was an interesting read. And a few of the profs referred to it in lectures this year (speaks to the popularity of the book).

House of God was an interesting read. And a few of the profs referred to it in lectures this year (speaks to the popularity of the book).

and it shows how much things have changed over the last 40 years in medicine :)

we still refer to parts of it during rounding as well!

If you're a keener you'll also want to carry a copy of Harrison's with you at all times. If you want to be a gunner then start working on that dermatology research project. Or you could just enjoy your summer.

Harrison's is good for two things: 1)it has everything in it 2) you'll get ripped pipes carrying it around, one volume in each hand

Probably gonna get some flak for this but I read/skimmed through Med School Confidential prior to beginning medical school and found it helpful. It briefly outlines what your next few years will look out, explain a bit about pre-clinical classes and clinical rotations. It's catered towards the American system, but it will talk about deciding on a specialty and what the residency application will be like in a few years time. It's a short read but will give you a general road map for your next few years.

Other than that - do not read anything with medical knowledge. No anatomy. No physiology. Definitely no biochemistry.

Archived