Premed 101 Forums

Why do some girls put so much effort into their physical appearances, for school?

ciel999

a new undergrad student in our lab made me think of this thread... very pungent odors, and judging by the rest of the student's appearance it seems likely that a daily shower is not in the schedule. within a day, people in our lab have brought up the issue, and neighbouring labs have come over to complain to us. it's putting everyone in an awkward situation... please shower and put effort into your appearance and in being professional!

So you met OP in person ey?!

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
a new undergrad student in our lab made me think of this thread... very pungent odors, and judging by the rest of the student's appearance it seems likely that a daily shower is not in the schedule. within a day, people in our lab have brought up the issue, and neighbouring labs have come over to complain to us. it's putting everyone in an awkward situation... please shower and put effort into your appearance and in being professional!

I know of 3 students at York who are homeless. Yes, they are homeless. A daily shower isn't likely an option for them so yes, it's easy to say I suspect for most people (not the OP) that they don't make the choice to be unclean and there's usually a reason for it.

I know of 3 students at York who are homeless. Yes, they are homeless. A daily shower isn't likely an option for them so yes, it's easy to say I suspect for most people (not the OP) that they don't make the choice to be unclean and there's usually a reason for it.

How does one be a student and homeless at the same time?

ahahaha, it's hard for me to believe that a thread like this was made. When my cat died this summer, I was too depressed to shower or wash my hair for days. I was basically a zombie. But that was the only time.

Because if I don't show I just feel really gross. And when you're schlepping everything to school back and forth, you just feel really gritty. Plus your skin can get really gross. I know this from being hospitalized a couple years back. My skin is still recovering from the hospital dryness. ICK.

Be like Emma Stone in Easy A

http://donnashana.tumblr.com/post/26544954164#notes

So you are saying that "most people" who are unclean usually have a real debilitating reason for it? How on earth would you know that this is the case for "most" of these people?

Regardless, my point simply was that not presenting yourself professionally does get you attention, and that just b/c one is an undergrad does not excuse one from this judgement. I'm not saying there's no excuse for being unclean. Obviously it is unfortunate if you just have to be unclean because you have no other option, but the point will still be true. If someone is homeless, there are places you can go to shower every other day or every few days for many reasons (hygienic, to feel dignified, and yes, for professional image if they are in professional settings like at a job or school). If you know of anyone in this position, please find the closest drop-in centre for them here: http://www.tdin.ca/

But with regard to my story, I'd say it's likely our undergrad is not homeless as there is, amongst other clues, constant texting and internet browsing on a fancy-looking smartphone during lab meetings.

• 6 months later...
I wonder why guys don't wear make up... We are way uglier than girls, but for some reason we don't care. Weird! Any theories?

Societal pressures and sexism, basically. Men can be overweight, scruffy, lanky, and they will still have the leading role in a commercial or movie (with multiples of them too). They are visible. They are not just there as a gimmick (e.g. movie centered around one overweight women who becomes thin and beautiful... or the reverse in some movies lol). They are whole persons.

Women typically exist in media for our consumption. Look up the Bechdel test:

1. It has to have at least two [named] women in it

2. Who talk to each other

3. About something besides a man

How many movies do you think pass this? Women must be thin, attractive. If they're in their 50s they cannot have real wrinkles or facial pits like famous men have. People compliment women first on how they look, second on their achievements or intelligence. There is a huge makeup and dieting (& etc) industry targeted at women, not at men.

Of course this is not to say there are not exceptions. That would be ridiculous, as the same can be said about any concept we learned in biology. There are men who wear makeup. There are advertisements using male models and unrealistically attractive male actors, but even these are done as a male fantasy - not as a female fantasy. In the real world too women don't really exist if they're not attractive.

So yeah, different pressures.

Societal pressures and sexism, basically. Men can be overweight, scruffy, lanky, and they will still have the leading role in a commercial or movie (with multiples of them too). They are visible. They are not just there as a gimmick (e.g. movie centered around one overweight women who becomes thin and beautiful... or the reverse in some movies lol). They are whole persons.

How many movies do you think pass this? Women must be thin, attractive. If they're in their 50s they cannot have real wrinkles or facial pits like famous men have. People compliment women first on how they look, second on their achievements or intelligence. There is a huge makeup and dieting (& etc) industry targeted at women, not at men.

Of course this is not to say there are not exceptions. That would be ridiculous, as the same can be said about any concept we learned in biology. There are men who wear makeup. There are advertisements using male models and unrealistically attractive male actors, but even these are done as a male fantasy - not as a female fantasy. In the real world too women don't really exist if they're not attractive.

I agree, but male attractiveness has just recently become much more important. For women it has more of a broad effect, while for men it's more so for relationship success.

Although dieting for weight loss is aimed at women, there's a huge aim from the fitness industry at men. Hence all these skinny guys at the gym attempting to get bigger.

It's simple, really. Men are in a competition to pick up the most fit women, and women are in a competition to pick up the most fit men. It is how evolution made us.

Certain traits in men are desirable from the point of view of a woman, and certain other traits in women are desirable from the point of view of a man.

If you are in your late teens/early twenties, like most university students, chances are you are looking for a mate. You will do whatever it takes to attract members of the other sex. As you grow older and older, this becomes less important, and people shift to emphasizing other things

It's simple, really. Men are in a competition to pick up the most fit women, and women are in a competition to pick up the most fit men. It is how evolution made us.

Certain traits in men are desirable from the point of view of a woman, and certain other traits in women are desirable from the point of view of a man.

If you are in your late teens/early twenties, like most university students, chances are you are looking for a mate. You will do whatever it takes to attract members of the other sex. As you grow older and older, this becomes less important, and people shift to emphasizing other things

To be picked up you mean :P

But yea basic evolution and common sense too. Purpose of life is to procreate and nothing more. Makes sense that so much of life is based around getting laid.

I wouldn't say this becomes less important as one gets older though... if it's already in place then it won't serve much importance (a couple with a good relationship/marriage won't be trying to attract others). If it's not, it's a continued process.

Physical appearances can fall under clothes/hair dos, not just makeup. I personally wear no makeup but I take the time to make my hair is OK and I dress nicely for class. I find a lot of girls who actually don't dress for class and just come in pjs, sweats, lulus,.... you name it. :mad:

I don't know how someone wouldn't have time to shower? :s I take 5 classes at a time, work 12-hour shifts on weekends, and still have time to do so. I think it all just boils down to time management.. If you manage your time well, you will have time to shower, do your hair, etc.

I always figure it's good to look nice in case a) meet cute boy that day, B) end up having a meeting with prof/research supervisor/etc (I would NOT want my research supervisor to see me in PJ pants/no makeup/hair not done), c) Just makes you feel better about yourself when you put in some effort!

• 3 months later...

I look my best everyday for school except during midterms/exams. I even wake up at 6 am to pamper myself for them 8 am classes!!;) I do it because I have a serious passion for makeup and fashion. Putting on makeup is a like meditating for me; it's my creative outlet!

Plus I feel like **** going to school everyday on 5 hours of sleep. Looking good boosts my mood 10000000X. I feel like I'm walking on a runway rather than a hallway :P

Archived