Premed 101 Forums

Why do some girls put so much effort into their physical appearances, for school?

ciel999

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I guess they want to feel good about themselves, or maybe it is their routine they have to stay in control, better yet op why dont you ask them yourself?

I am an upper yr and i dont really care that much somedays you will find me on campus wearing sweatpants with a hoodie.

That becomes very common during exam times. But during the first few weeks of school? Not so much.

Even if you cant find/afford a hairdryer you can at least use this common method that I learned in pre special forces training. Assuming you can create a fire and have some type of metal device around you. Before you begin bathing you put the pot high enough above the flame that it won't be too hot but still be a good temperature to dry your hair. A temperature you could hold your finger to for exactly 3.4 seconds based on the mandated 5.5 leande callous size on fingers of special forces before the burning becomes too uncomfortable. You then proceed to take bathe for 4 minutes. The pot is then hot enough to put on your head. In approximately 3 minutes your head should be dry. We do this to combat hypothermia in long insertions in cold environments when wet.

You're teaching me how to commit suicide?

What's wrong with a little dressing up?

It makes me feel better about myself and I'm sure it's visually pleasing to others too :)

I don't really spend my time doing makeup due to allergies and general crappy application. My hair is terrible to work with and it looks fine down.

I like to wear heels and dresses...so I do.

However, when I'm stressed and midterms + exams roll around, I will most likley be sulking in the back of the classroom in sweats and pants with my greasy hair tied up in a bun :)

Wear what you will but please shower more than twice a week though...you'll start to smell nastay

Of course people should still put in some effort into their physical appearances and taking care of themselves, (like showering, brushing their teeth/hair everyday, and keeping themselves clean). I shower once a week and I'm perfectly fine with that because it's good for my hair. As long as I don't stink, then that's all what matters. It's just that some people go to the extreme.

I wonder if you're aware that there exists a high tech device that protects one's hair while enabling one to clean the rest of one's body. It's called a shower cap. Or Saran wrap. Or even a goddamn plastic bag. Just because your hair only needs washing once a week doesn't mean the rest of your bits follow the same rule...

lol this thread is getting to be hilarious. At the end of the day, it's all about the girls being self-conscious and worried about their appearance.

The worst part is, especially with oriental women, make up can DRASTICALLY change your appearance.

Here's an example:

http://www.eatspraylove.com/2012/04/23/22-asian-girls-before-after-make-up/

I'm curious as to why some people take so much interest in how others live their lives. What does it matter to you, personally?

Some people like to put their best, professional face forward. I used to think the way many responders seem to think - who cares, you're just here to learn, who are you trying to impress, etc. As an older (grad) student now, I appreciate the effort to look put together and professional, yes, even as a student. It instantly sets you apart from sweatpants and oily-haired, slump-shouldered counterparts, and makes a good first impression. It looks like you give a d*mn, like you realize there is life and a world outside of school, and it looks like you can handle more than one thing at a time (ie. studying). At least, this would be my first impression. Looking for a volunteer or paid research position in a prof's lab? All other things being equal, I'd pick the student that has presented and carried him/herself professionally the entire year over the one who cleaned up just to come to the interview.

Secondly, with some students I know, it's also an internal mindset. They just don't feel their mind is sharp and "on" when they're dressed as they would be while schlepping around at home. The process of getting ready in the morning serves to wake you up and get into "business" mode. Some people just need that, or prefer it like that. Different strokes for different folks. I can tell you for sure that in grad school, rolling out of bed and coming to the lab looking like you put no effort in at all will get you confused looks (but I digress from dressing in undergrad).

Lastly, when you've been doing a routine for years, often it does not take as long as other people think it takes, or as much time as it *looks* like it takes... not that that's of issue to anyone other than the student him/herself :)

It doesn't have to take a lot of time or effort to look "good." My hair is wash and wear, so I don't spend any time on it. It's either up in a bun, ponytail, or otherwise tied back, which takes 30 seconds at most to do.

My makeup is minimal. I don't wear it for anyone but myself. I'm in a professional program, so I figure I should look professional. I'm happily married, so I'm not looking to impress anyone, much less kids far younger than myself. I also teach fitness classes 5 days a week, so want to look professional for those classes.

I put on a bit of eye primer, a waterproof eyeliner, and a bit of lip gloss or lip balm. Takes less than 5 minutes.

I can't imagine spending hours doing my hair or makeup. That would be a waste of my time. But if others want to do it, that's their choice.

I do shower 3 times a day sometimes, though. I need a wake-up shower in the morning. Then I have to shower after I exercise - I sweat so much that I absolutely need a shower after teaching a class or going for a run. If I'm in the pool then I need to get that chlorine out. Then I shower before bed - I hate getting into a nice, clean bed all sweaty and gross. I do take care not to have the water too hot, so that my skin doesn't dry out, and I do use moisturizing products. I also only wash my hair once a day at most, but when it gets all sweaty, or after being in the pool, it definitely needs to be washed.

Whenever I get out of class and walk through the hallways, I would see girls standing there, looking like they just came out of a beauty/fashion magazine cover. They would have their hair very nicely done (which must have taken them well over an hour to do). They would have their makeup very nicely done as well (including foundations, bronzers), and the clothes they wear look way more appropriate to wear at a party, rather than for school.

I don't understand.... why do some girls put in so much time and effort to look good, just for school? As a university student, I'm so busy that I don't even have time to shower during the weekdays. Also, I value my sleep more, so as soon as I wake up in the morning, I brush my hair, and then I'm out the door.

Every girl does it for different reasons. Some pretty girls do it for power and control over men, other pretty ones do it because they think theyr'e ugly and want to be noticed, some average looking girls do it becuase their confidence is out of whack with their reality of being average looking so they think they're the pretty girl with power, then there are also ugly girls who do it to fit in with the pretty girls.

Many reasons, all of them equally stupid.

It doesn't have to take a lot of time or effort to look "good." My hair is wash and wear, so I don't spend any time on it. It's either up in a bun, ponytail, or otherwise tied back, which takes 30 seconds at most to do.

My makeup is minimal. I don't wear it for anyone but myself. I'm in a professional program, so I figure I should look professional. I'm happily married, so I'm not looking to impress anyone, much less kids far younger than myself. I also teach fitness classes 5 days a week, so want to look professional for those classes.

I put on a bit of eye primer, a waterproof eyeliner, and a bit of lip gloss or lip balm. Takes less than 5 minutes.

I can't imagine spending hours doing my hair or makeup. That would be a waste of my time. But if others want to do it, that's their choice.

I do shower 3 times a day sometimes, though. I need a wake-up shower in the morning. Then I have to shower after I exercise - I sweat so much that I absolutely need a shower after teaching a class or going for a run. If I'm in the pool then I need to get that chlorine out. Then I shower before bed - I hate getting into a nice, clean bed all sweaty and gross. I do take care not to have the water too hot, so that my skin doesn't dry out, and I do use moisturizing products. I also only wash my hair once a day at most, but when it gets all sweaty, or after being in the pool, it definitely needs to be washed.

Me too! People always say that it's crazy that I shower so much, but my reasons are the exact same as yours.

Every girl does it for different reasons. Some pretty girls do it for power and control over men, other pretty ones do it because they think theyr'e ugly and want to be noticed, some average looking girls do it becuase their confidence is out of whack with their reality of being average looking so they think they're the pretty girl with power, then there are also ugly girls who do it to fit in with the pretty girls.

Many reasons, all of them equally stupid.

Hmm, this is a very interesting assessment. I've always wondered about ugly girls wearing makeup. As an ugly girl myself, I am always so conflicted. Should I do it to make myself look at least a teensy bit better, and to look like I care? Or should I not bother because it won't make an iota of difference?

I think it's an interesting predicament.

However, I wouldn't say that all of the reasons are equally stupid. I'm not sure, but I'm assuming you're a guy? It kind of bothers me when guys say that it's stupid for girls to wear makeup, because, really, how would they react if girls suddenly stopped?

Sorry about my overuse of question marks.

lol this thread is getting to be hilarious. At the end of the day, it's all about the girls being self-conscious and worried about their appearance.

The worst part is, especially with oriental women, make up can DRASTICALLY change your appearance.

Here's an example:

http://www.eatspraylove.com/2012/04/23/22-asian-girls-before-after-make-up/

LOL ... number 13 is definitely not the same person unless shes had some plastics surgery. Similarly number 22 is not the same person unless she had some eye lid surgery as is so popular amongst asian females nowadays.

I didnt realize my ex-wife was less attractive then I thought until after we got married and she stopped wearing make up all of the time .... haha ....

LOL ... number 13 is definitely not the same person unless shes had some plastics surgery. Similarly number 22 is not the same person unless she had some eye lid surgery as is so popular amongst asian females nowadays.

I didnt realize my ex-wife was less attractive then I thought until after we got married and she stopped wearing make up all of the time .... haha ....

Grade

A

Beef

Right thar.

Hmm, this is a very interesting assessment. I've always wondered about ugly girls wearing makeup. As an ugly girl myself, I am always so conflicted. Should I do it to make myself look at least a teensy bit better, and to look like I care? Or should I not bother because it won't make an iota of difference?

I think it's an interesting predicament.

However, I wouldn't say that all of the reasons are equally stupid. I'm not sure, but I'm assuming you're a guy? It kind of bothers me when guys say that it's stupid for girls to wear makeup, because, really, how would they react if girls suddenly stopped?

Sorry about my overuse of question marks.

Nono, I'm not saying you shouldnt' wear makeup. If you're "ugly" like you say, or even if you were hot as hell, if you overdo it, you just look stupid. You should put on makeup and dress well. That's a good thing, and I can say most guys would apprecaite that. It's when you're dressed in mini skirts for school where you end up looking stupid.

but... why can't you use 50 minutes to sleep and 10 minutes to shower? :(

Also, taking 10 minutes to shower wouldn't be doable because the process takes me over an hour. I take:

~5 minutes to warm up in the shower (it feels nice to just stand there and do nothing, while letting the warm water hit me)

~7 minutes to shampoo my hair

~7 minutes to condition my hair

~20 minutes to deep-condition my hair

~5 minutes to scrub my body with shower gel

~8 minutes to exfoliate my body with sugar scrub

~5 minutes to shave

....throw in a few minutes of rinsings in between steps add up to a little over an hour.

Hence, I only have time to shower once a week.

Also, taking 10 minutes to shower wouldn't be doable because the process takes me over an hour. I take:

~5 minutes to warm up in the shower (it feels nice to just stand there and do nothing, while letting the warm water hit me)

~5 minutes to shave

....throw in a few minutes of rinsings in between steps add up to a little over an hour.

kay, but....

you can easily do away with the first five min... do that on the weekends. i don't think it needs to be a daily occurrence.

then....

I wonder if you're aware that there exists a high tech device that protects one's hair while enabling one to clean the rest of one's body. It's called a shower cap. Or Saran wrap. Or even a goddamn plastic bag. Just because your hair only needs washing once a week doesn't mean the rest of your bits follow the same rule...

just don't wash your hair every day...

shaving doesn't need to be a daily occurrence, either...

down to 13 min + random rinsings, which could honestly prob be done away with, too. and i'm betting you could speed up the two remaining "tasks" such that it'd be roughly 10 min. in any case, you should be able to spare at least 13 min/day to maintain acceptable bodily hygiene, lols.

edit: pretty sure obama showers daily. i doubt you have as much crap on your plate as he does.

~5 minutes to shave

That's because you take a shower once a week. Off course it's going to feel nice having water hit you after a week of no-shower.

Archived