Premed 101 Forums

Queen's Interviews

I'm pretty sure Queen's no longer has GPA and MCAT cut offs. I know they revamped their whole system either this year or last year. I think now it's just a average that they're looking for, but there are no longer any hard cut offs. Also no more pre-requisites. Anyone can apply really. But they probably still only grant interview to ppl that meet a softer cut off.

I'm reasonably sure that they still have both cutoffs. They definitely still have the GPA cutoff, because it's explicitly mentioned on their website.

http://meds.queensu.ca/education/undergraduate/prospective_students/method_of_selection

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm pretty sure Queen's no longer has GPA and MCAT cut offs. I know they revamped their whole system either this year or last year. I think now it's just a average that they're looking for, but there are no longer any hard cut offs. Also no more pre-requisites. Anyone can apply really. But they probably still only grant interview to ppl that meet a softer cut off.

Things are more vague now but I would still think they have cut offs similar to what they had in the past. There is really no other way to cut down on the applicant pool.

In the past few years, cut-offs have indeed been hard cut-offs, but they haven't been published. We've drawn those cut-offs based on self-reporting from site users.

It's conceivable that someone might have got in under those cut-offs and simply not reported it, but the sample size here is decent and the consistency between reports (i.e. numerous people right at the cut-offs, none below), means I think we've got the picture correct for most applicants.

Of course, what happens one year won't necessarily happen the next year, so Queen's could change their whole system and make all that past inferring useless :P

Since they say that both individual scores in each section and the overall score is looked at for MCAT, I'm guessing the cutoff is like

PS 9 , VR 10, BS 10 with overall 30 or something like that?

I looked at last year's statistics and those 3 scores were the lowest score in each section but no one had gotten in with lowest overall score possible there (29).

• 1 month later...
Done in one batch, I imagine they'll be out the same time as in past years. (31st,same time as ottawa)

Last year it was the 31st (about an hour after Ottawa if I recall correctly), but they aren't consistent. I remember last year we were trying to predict which day they would send the invites, but we couldn't guess correctly.

In all honesty I have a gut feeling how Ottawa will work out for me. As for Queen's, seems like much more of a wild card.

As a first-time applicant I have no idea what to expect from any of the schools:( guess this week will be a pretty good indicator.....

I'm wondering too! How does that work? I feel like Queens should be the one who is flexible since Mac handed out invites first, but I don't know.

If I was a med school i wouldn't be flexible. This would draw out rank orders of applicants who happen to have a conflict. Just my two cents

Does queens let you pick your interview date? Some people have Mac interviews on the 22nd

They usually coordinate such that they won't be on the same day. I'm almost certain the ON schools share data before they send out invites. Last year I had Mac and Queens back to back Saturday/Sunday.

If I was a med school i wouldn't be flexible. This would draw out rank orders of applicants who happen to have a conflict. Just my two cents

This seems silly. So just because you're competitive enough to interview at two schools and your luck (assuming they don't share data, which I hope they do) is just bad enough that they end up on the same day, you should be forced to miss one of the interviews you've busted your ass to earn? Crazy. I like how Western does it: rank your preferences.

This seems silly. So just because you're competitive enough to interview at two schools and your luck (assuming they don't share data, which I hope they do) is just bad enough that they end up on the same day, you should be forced to miss one of the interviews you've busted your ass to earn? Crazy. I like how Western does it: rank your preferences.

As an applicant I agree with you, if I were an adcom I would stand by my original statement.

As an applicant I agree with you, if I were an adcom I would stand by my original statement.

Schools want the best med students possible, and people with multiple interviews are usually better candidates. They won't bend over backwards to accommodate conflicts, but they definitely don't try to create them - it costs them a chance at a successful student.

after you get an interview, you are provided details with how to picbak your interview date and time online.

last year, it opened up sometime in the morning a week or two after the interviews came out. its on a first come first serve basis.

Oh cool, good to hear! I'm flying in from BC for my McMaster interview on the 22nd, so if I got an interview at Queens it would be awesome to have it on the 23rd.

Archived